Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Lancôme La Roseraie Illuminating Smooth Powder for Spring 2012

For spring's pastel theme, Aaron De May created a stunning collection (and look). Lancôme's Roseraie des Delices Collection for Spring 2012 offers pinks, tangerines, and greens. The collection offers a garden of delights. I've read that the look was inspired by the rose garden of Lancôme's founder and the pastel mix of Ladurée macaroons. The flower-laden look, featuring Hanaa ben Abdesslem, reeled me in as the thought of those macaroons made my mouth water and the roses offered serenity.

La Roseraie (“Bed of Roses”) Illuminating Smooth Powder ($42) compact is the latest, limited-edition must-have of the spring season. I think it's the centerpiece of Lancôme's Les Roseraie des Delices Spring 2012 Color Collection. The very light texture of this multidimensional powder eases application and gives a transparent pink flush to the skin. The bright rosy pink and pastel shimmer combination is a perfect all-in-one product for cheeks and face, as long as you like to sparkle.

The dual shades in the powder, light pink and rose, can be used alone or blended for a light pink finish to the cheeks or face. The light pink carries a lot of sparkle in its pearl crystals, so expect a little pizazz when you wear it. In Lancôme's photo above, La Roseraie appears to be warmer in color than it is in mine. To my eye, my photo represents the two shades more accurately (although I've seen many photos that make the shades look warmer). I think these are cool pink tones.

The lighting wasn't ideal the day I got my photos. Even with brighter light, it would have been difficult to show you a bright pink powder on my arm. La Roseraie, when blended, is pastel pink. On my skin, it adds a very light pink glow.

For my swatch photos, I applied the blended shade at the top of my arm and the darker rose pink alone below. I used a sponge-tipped applicator, ensuring I would get plenty of pigment for the photos. In "real life," we'll all use a powder or blush brush to apply La Roseraie, and the effect will be lighter than you see on my arm.

Because the sun was obscured by clouds when I took my photos, you can barely see the definite sparkle in the blended swatch. It's there, so if you gravitate toward matte and satin-finish shades, you should try before you buy. I may restrict its wear to evening. I'll have to see if the sparkles diminish as I wear off the top layer of powder - something I haven't done yet.

I think it's a beautiful compact in a beautiful collection. I'll have more to show you later. I purchased my La Roseraie at Neiman Marcus. It should be available at Lancôme counters now. You can also find it at Lancôme's Web site with the rest of the spring collection.

Photos at top courtesy of Lancôme; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

8 comments:

Evelyn said...

I have a question - is it really pink all the way through? I saw one at Macy's and I really liked it (pink and roses? I'm all over it!) but the sample that I tried was rather peachy. I wondered if the ladies didn't have something out in error.

Fab Over 40 said...

Sadly, if you like pink it will be gone in a few swipes. Once the top layer of pink is used it then becomes a peachy shade.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Evelyn and Kari!

Thanks for that info, Kari! that is sad. I can't imagine, but now I'm going to go "dig" on mine and see. That means the pink color is sprayed on? Wow...

Dlori said...

Im glad you girls raised this issue because I was just going to purchase the blush as well as the gorgeous lipsticks that go with this collection. I am also going to purchase the green and the white eyeliners. Does anyone have feedback on those items? From the pictures, this collection looks like one of the prettiest lancome has had as a complete collection in a very long time. But before I blow the little money I have on it, I want to make sure it really is as fabulous as it appears to be on their website. I also would like to comment on the Dior Spring collection, particularly the green pallette. It truly is the most gorgeous palette I have ever seen and although I can;t see mixing all the colors tgether for one look, the colors are very wearable and drop dead beautiful. While the purple palette is beautiful as well, it really contains colors youve seen many times before. The palette isn;t cheap but I believe that you will be very upset if you miss out on this green one once you have the opportunity to see it uo close and personal. A palette of this beauty comes around every once in a blue moon and the moon is shining very blue with this one. I dont think youll regret spending the money on this one and it surely will last for a long, long time.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful input. I dont know what I;d do without you.

Dlori
kleimanlaw at aol dot com

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Dlori!

I also bought Le French Touch Absolu Nu in Cotton Candy. I really like it.

I skipped the Dior eye palettes. They are just too pastel, which would wash me out and also make me look like an albino bunny. I'm not fond of those super-pastel pinks and greens - on me. I think women with darker coloring would be better suited for the eye shadows. The palettes are little works of art, but I had to bypass them.

Let's see what everyone else thinks.

Evelyn said...

I agree with Charlestongirl, the Dior palettes are works of art but may not work for everyone. Personally, I look dreadfully washed out in pastel clothing so I don't see the shadows working for me either. I noticed the powder and the lip glosses of Lancome, but they looked very pale and pastel to me so I didn't try them. I think for my fair to light skin tone, the spring Chanel collection works far better.

I am disappointed that the Lancome powder is not pink because it is very pretty at first glance but...I don't blush in peach. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so happy to hear it is peach since peach suites me far better than pink because of my couperotic cheeks. I just ordered the blush before reading this : D

I also ordered the Garden pastels palette although I am very pale. I think pastels suite me very well. You can always wear a darker e/s at the outer corners if needed and I think an eyeliner and mascara does a lot too.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Evelyn,

I still can't imagine how this is going to turn to peach - or get warmer. I have to dig below the surface this weekend.

Hi Anonymous,

I'd be careful if you really want peach. I think there are better options. Also, there are certainly ways to wear the new eye palettes, but I'm not sure I want to work that hard. Good for you!