Sunday, April 10, 2011

Chanel Les 4 Ombres, Ombres à Paupières Quatuor in Lilium for Summer 2011

The Chanel Summer 2011 Collection arrived at Neiman Marcus, and I snapped up almost everything. It's a beautiful collection, one that I think will tempt you to pull out your wallet.

This afternoon, the skies started to brighten, allowing me to get some photos for you. I'll be showing you the items I purchased over the next day or two. I think I bought everything except the waterproof eyeliner, and I'm wavering on that. The color is drop-dead gorgeous, so I'll probably cave. I may cave as soon as tomorrow when Miss Brahms goes back to work after a weekend off.

Les 4 Ombres, Ombres à Paupières Quatuor in Lilium for Summer 2011 ($57) in #32 Lilium presents itself one way in the compact and another on my skin - at least for two of the shades. I'm happy with both "faces." In the compact, the colors appear to be peach-tinged pink, deep teal green, pinky mauve, and light celadon green. I think I took 20 swatch photos before I got one that I felt adequately showed how the shades look on my skin.

My photo was taken in outdoor sunlight. I applied each shade fairly heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator. I swatched clockwise, starting with the pink at the upper-left of the compact. I think you can see in the photo at right that the pink is very pink. I don't see much flesh or peach in it. The dark teal green is just that - and stunning to my eye. I can't wait to wear it as a liner! The shade that appeared to be a pinky mauve is really taupe - a shade of taupe that is a knockout. The celadon green is exactly the same as it appears in the compact, and it makes an exquisite base shade.

I'll have fun experimenting with these shades. I know right now I'll be wearing the taupe shade a lot - with these shades and with other brands and colors in my makeup wardrobe. It alone is worth the price of the quad for a taupe lover!

Each of these shades has a subtle shimmer - one that you should be comfortable wearing during the daytime. I will be. I'm planning to wear the shades to work tomorrow, so I may report back on this quad. Tomorrow morning before I leave for work, I'll show you the eye shadow duo for summer. It also has a green theme.

I know the collection has arrived at Saks Chevy Chase (go see Loyd Cassler!) and Neiman Marcus Tysons locally (go see Kathy Shoreman!). I'll bet Neiman Marcus Mazza also has it. I was at Nordstrom Tysons and Bloomindale's Tysons today; it wasn't on display at either of those stores yet. It will arrive everywhere soon.

Photos by BTiB

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the taupe and the teal. Both are really my kind of thing. I'm not sure about the other two colours but I think it could be worth it for teal and the taupe along. I'm wondering if the teal could be what I hoping for with the liner shade from the Turtles palette. I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup said...

This would work really well with my hazel eyes I think. I especially love the dark green (gorgeous) I will have to go see this in person. Thanks for the review! Will you be doing an EOTD with it?

Charlestongirl said...

Jane, the Chantecaille shade and the Chanel one are very similar. Not exactly the same, but similar. What were you looking for in the Sea Turtle green?

Charlestongirl said...

Jenn, I feel like a dufus, but what's an EOTD? Anyone?

pinkribbons said...

Oh hello green eyeshadow! I don't have many green eyeshadows so I will be definitely buying this quad. Is there much fall out? Can't wait for your other reviews :)

Unknown said...

I wanted the green in the Sea Turtles palette to be a great blackened teal eyeliner. I really struggle to get good payoff with it. I've bought some eye sealer in the hope that wetting it will help.

EOTD is eye of the day. I'd love to see an eye look too!
Jane x

Charlestongirl said...

No fallout on me, pinkribbons!

Oh Jane, I hate doing close-ups. Maybe I can do one on Kathy or get one from her. She can apply the shades at the store tomorrow.

The color is definitely there. With some of the quad shades, I swiped multiple times to get my photo. With the dark green? Once!

Eileen said...

When I stopped by the Chanel counter at Nordstrom today, I was told they'd received their entire shipment and would have everything out and ready to go for tomorrow. Looks like I'll have to make a return trip, doesn't it? :-)

Chanel certainly has a way with deep greens. I don't think I've ever been disappointed with any of them. I'm not too sure about the lighter green, though, as it looks like it has quite a bit of yellow to it. But, even if it's a no-go, the light pink highlighter, intriguing taupe, and deep green--especially the deep green--make the quad worth getting. Your swatches show how well the colors will combine to create a summer look that is quite a departure from the usual golds, bronzes, and corals.

I and to laugh at your puzzlement over EOTD. When I first started reading the beauty blogs, I was completely flumoxed by EOTD, FOTD, LOTD, NOTD, HG, etc. Then, one day, I had the proverbial ah-ha moment when all the abbreviations clicked into place. Now I can sling abbreviations around with the best of them--IMHO!

I read in the Times that OMG along with LOL, IMHO, and BFF made the latest edition of the Oxford English Dictionary and that the first confirmed use of OMG was found in a letter dating back to 1917. OMG?  1917?  It must have been aliens!  LOL. :-)

Kristie said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures and swatches with us. I'm excited to check out this quad, especially to see the green color. Luckily this is permanent and not LE. This way, I can budget for the other items.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen, I knew you would want it! I think - from what I know - it will look great on you!

Funny that I know most of the lingo, but EOTD had my brain working overtime. I think it's a beauty blog term, and I don't have time to read most of them! Sad.

The celadon green does have yellow in it, but not in a way that lime does. See what you think.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Kristie!

The duo has khaki, which shouldn't be new. I have to dig out my Chanel khaki. Maybe you have it and can skip it?

Julia said...

Do you know how the deep green compares to the deep green in the Regard Perle quad? Thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

The green in Regard Perle is lighter. See the photo at http://bestthingsinbeauty.blogspot.com/2010/12/chanel-ombres-perlees-de-chanel-for.html.

My own palette is packed away (still!), and the one I just had for a giveaway is already boxed up, but I wouldn't be able to swatch that one anyhow. I need to liberate my makeup from the boxes were I had to store everything. :)

Donna said...

More gorgeous greens! Glad to hear this is permanent. All these new collections are killing me. There's so many pretty things all at once - what's a girl to do!

Straight Up Glam said...

This quad is gorgeous!! I cannot wait for it to arrive at my Chanel counter! Anything taupe is definitely up my alley! Thank you so much for sharing theses swatches!

Andrée xx

Bonnie C. said...

I agree too, the taupe is great (you've really made me a much bigger taupe fan than I used to be) :-) and I also agree that the teal green looks like it would be a great liner! :-) So glad to be back on BTiB! :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Donna, Bonnie (welcome back), and Andrée!

Greens and taupes...do you think Chanel knew how to win our hearts?

Unknown said...

The whole collection is very pretty including the waterproof eyeliner that you've skipped. In fact, I loved the eyeliner so much I even got one more - it's a limited edition and will be gone for good very soon.

Joyce said...

The eyeliner is gorgeous! You should definitely get it!

All the Nordstrom counters by me (Chicago suburbs) have had re collection for at least a week so I imagine the other stores will get it soon!