Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Laura Mercier Gel Lip Colour

Laura Mercier's new Gel Lip Colours ($22) are the latest lipstick addition to the Laura Mercier makeup collection. I purchased three. I didn't think I would purchase any of them because my friend Gaia, The Non-Blonde, and others had mentioned that they are highly fragranced. As a rule, I don't like fragranced/flavored lipsticks. For the new Gel Lip Colours, I made an exception when I played with them in the store. The why's follow.

Gel Lip Colour is described as soft, smooth, and shiny. The gel formula gives them great slip, making the color glide onto the lips without any special application effort. They are said to provide a soft color-wash payoff. I wouldn't call the color soft; I think it's vivid.

I find them much like Chanel's new and already beloved Rouge Coco Shine in terms of saturation and finish. They gleam with a subtle shine, but they are not what I would describe as exceptionally shiny (like the new Dior Addict lipsticks). The color is fairly saturated; it's not transparent like gloss. I have worn them with and without gloss. I do add gloss when I want more shine. I think they feel more hydrating than the Rouge Coco Shines. As they say on Twitter, #justsaying. They cost less too.

The color is long-lasting (for me). I like that characteristic. Even after the gleam is gone, I have color. Fortunately, I "lose the taste/fragrance" pretty quickly. It's not an unpleasant taste. I assume it's related to the emollient-rich peach, apricot, and almond oils in the moisturizing formula, and I can definitely taste the vanilla in the ingredients. These Gel Lip Colours remind me of my favorite YSL Gloss Volupté Sheer Sensual Gloss Sticks in that respect. The mango in the YSL Gloss Sticks doesn't bother me; others (like Kari at Fab over Forty) find it distracting. Anyhow, the taste and fragrance dissipate fairly quickly. Either that, or I get used to it.

I purchased three shades: Berry Sorbet, Rosette, and Sweet Cherry. They are swatched at right in that same order, top to bottom. My photo was taken in outdoor sunshine. I think all three shades are beautiful. I couldn't make up my mind on one, so I purchased three. What's new?

Below, I've appended a second photo, taken in slightly more sunshine. I decided after I initially published this feature to add it.

The colors are much more sheer on my arm than they appear in the tubes. They do offer vibrant color on my lips because, like many, I have rosy lips. It may sound silly, but these are what I call "adult lipsticks." They enhance a woman's femininity, without gimmicks or heavy metals. That shouldn't surprise me. Many (and I do mean many) years ago, I attended a master class led by the gorgeous Laura Mercier at Neiman Marcus. To this day, I have an image of a beautiful Mediterranean woman when I think Laura Mercier.

It surprised me that Laura Mercier's Web site described the Gel Lip Colours as limited-editions. Maybe they are a test case and will stay in the line if they continue to be successful. They are so pretty, I think they deserve it.

If you want to see the full list of ingredients for each shade, pop over to Laura Mercier's Web site. I love the availability of ingredient lists online. You can purchase these lovely lip colors at all Laura Mercier counters and online. All of my favorite department stores have them.

Photo at top courtesy of Laura Mercier

15 comments:

Mamavalveeta03 said...

These look absolutely gorgeous!! You know I'm a Bobbi girl, but Laura runs a close second for me! I will be making a purchase based on that lovely photograph of the colors you chose...(and what a lucky woman--to be able to attend a personal appearance by Laura Mercier!! envy...)

Charlestongirl said...

It really was a long time ago, Mama Val! I don't want to admit how long. It's clear to me I've been a makeup junkie for many years - every time I think about it. She is delightful. If you ever get a chance to meet her, take it!

Thanks!

Joolz said...

These do look gorgeous! Just last night I purchased a sheer lipstick from Laura Mercier called Tender Lips. I purchased it because it's applies like gloss but it moisturizes longer and the color stays put! I didn't know there was a new line. Thanks!

lovethescents said...

These look so beautiful and I particularly like Rosette. I haven't seen them here yet, but I wonder what the mark-up will be for our market.....

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Joolz, yep those sheers are really nice. Enjoy it. Check out the new ones next time you go shopping. They have more pigment than her sheers.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Lovethescents!

Are the prices usually marked up the same percentage from one line to the next, meaning predictable?

Anonymous said...

How about feathering? I got a gorgeous lipstick yesterday, applied it this morning (with a primer) before leaving for work, and by the time I arrived at work, it had feathered. Applied liners, but that still didn't work.

I wish bloggers would comment on this aspect more - - swatches are great, but not if the product doesn't deliver by staying in hte lines.

Charlestongirl said...

Oh no, Anonymous!

I will have to learn a little more about feathering. I have never experienced it. I'll be seeing a few makeup artists tomorrow. I'll ask how you can avoid it.

I know there are products to prevent it. I haven't paid enough attention.

waftbyCarol said...

I am an avid Mercier fangirl ( love her travel brushes ) so I know I want/need this lipstick in Rosette...jus sayin'....

lovethescents said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

The mark ups are not predictable, sadly. We have no plans to visit the US anytime again soon, so I wouldn't be able to stock up on essentials....or even non-essentials :-)

Generally, the US is cheaper on everything, except maybe healthcare, of course.

Natalie said...

I was just looking at make-up on the Laura Mercier site and I couldn't make my mind up what to buy, you've just convinced me!!
This blog is so helpful! Thank you :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Carol, Lovethescents, and Natalie!

Carol, you gave me the giggles. I needed that!

Lovethescents, that must be frustrating!

Thank you, Natalie! Comments like that keep me going. :)

The Rhapsode said...

These look gorgeous! I wish I'd spent my "Laura Mercier money" on these rather than the rather dull lipsticks I got. It's weird, but I feel like I should only spend a particular amount on one brand in a set amount of time... an OCD kind of thing. These look so sleek and sophisticated!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Rhapsode,

I like your approach - spread the money around!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous,

I totally forgot, but was reminded yesterday, that Laura Mercier has a clear lip liner to prevent feathering!