Saturday, April 2, 2011

Clé de Peau Beauté Cream Foundation SPF 26

Clé de Peau's Cream Foundation SPF 26 ($120) has attracted your attention. I know that from your comments and questions, and I promised to tell you about it. Like me, some of you are Clé de Peau fans. There was a "former" Clé de Peau Silky Cream Foundation. It came in a pot. You may know it. This one has replaced it.

The new foundation is said to adhere evenly to the nanostructure of the skin, offering lasting coverage, a flawless finish, and "unparalleled radiance." Maybe, maybe not. I have used generous samples of the new Cream Foundation (from Neiman Marcus), and I don't love it. That's not to say that you won't. It's just not the right foundation for me - from a color and feel perspective. That's why I dawdled before featuring it.

Let's start with color. My skin is somewhere between an I-10 (ivory) and and O-10 (ochre or yellow). Neither shade is absolutely perfect for me. The ivory is a smidgen too light, and the O-10 is a smidgen too yellow/dark. There is also a B-10 (kind of pink); it's not right for me either. I don't think I have to tell you that I won't be purchasing two $120 foundations to mix the shades. Even I'm not that extravagant.

The Cream Foundation is also a little bit drying on my very dry skin. Some might call it firming and like it. I don't. I don't like a taut feel. The finish is a bit matte on me too - even when I have on plenty of moisturizer underneath. I prefer a more glowing look.

My issues do not mean that you won't love it. I love Clé de Peau makeup, so I attribute my impressions to my peculiarities. I love the SPF 26, but fear it may have something to do with how chalky I look in this foundation. If you have a normal skin type, you may love it. It does leave a nice, smooth finish that is long-lasting and flattering. My recommendation? Don't purchase it online. Go to a counter, try it on, get a sample if you can, and wear it. You may find it's perfect for you.

Photo courtesy of Clé de Peau Beauté

10 comments:

Eileen said...

The greatest foundation in the world is worthless if the color is off--nuff said. Think of all the other beautiful goodies you'll be able to buy with the money you saved :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Big smile...I hadn't thought about it that way, Eileen. I would have bought the other goodies anyhow. I'm safe, though, from another expensive foundation.

Ammie said...

Did you like the version that came in a pot? I have it and got a pretty good color match with B10.h

Charlestongirl said...

I never used that one, Ammie. The one I like (a lot) is Clé de Peau Refining Fluid Foundation.

MarciaF said...

The fragrance on the CdP foundations is just too strong for me. I can't wear them at all.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Marcia,

You know fragrances in beauty products can drive me batty, but I wasn't troubled by this foundation's scent. Still wish I had loved it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for reviewing this! I was able to get some samples of it and had the same problem with color matching. Eileen summed it up well. I like that "glass half full" type of thinking. =)

Happy Weekend pretty ladies!

Soni said...

Oopsie! That last comment was really mine. (I was signed in under my sister's account)

Charlestongirl said...

Happy weekend, Soni! What's left of it.

Eileen put it perfectly, didn't she? Someone will find the right shade, even if we didn't.

Anonymous said...

I owned CDP Silky Cream Foundation in the past and I did not love it due to the finish and wrong color match. I am curious about this foundation, but I will definitely sample it first before investing. Thanks.