Friday, April 29, 2011

The Friday Forum - April 29

Random thoughts on a big day...

It's wedding day! Is anyone out there, or are you all watching the festivities? I'm watching the royal wedding as I write, and I'll have one eye on it until I have to leave for work. I'll see if anyone is livecasting it when I get into my office. Fortunately, there will be specials on television tonight, so I'll have an opportunity to see everything I miss.

It's Kate's day, but, like many, I am thinking about Diana - how young, innocent, hopeful, and beautiful she was the day she got married, how poorly she was treated, and how sadly her life ended. Can't help it!

I want to say how much sympathy I feel for everyone in the South affected by the tornadoes - lives, family and friends, animals, homes, possessions, neighborhoods - life as they knew it. It's staggering to contemplate the numbers: at least 300 people dead from one romp by Mother Nature as the storm system moved across the South. My heart is with them.

Space Shuttle Endeavour will launch for the last time today, with Rep. Gabby Giffords in attendance. It's so heartening to know that she was well enough to travel and be there. There is nothing quite like standing close to a shuttle launch. It's awesome. I'll never forget the energy that coursed though my body as I watched the majestic shuttle launch I attended. Godspeed, Endeavour!

What's going on here? Late April and early May bring a riot of color to our area. The azaleas, even the common old ones like my neighbor's hot pink above, are a welcome spring sight. This is a perfect locale for azaleas. Believe it or not, many years ago, when I was trying to decide whether I would move to the West Coast to take an offered job at UCLA's medical school in the department of pharmacology, the dogwoods and azaleas were blooming. I decided that our area - my home - was too pretty to leave. That wasn't the only factor, but it made a difference. Had I made the decision in mid-winter, it might have been different.

Have you ever burned your lips with a beauty product? I did this week. I'm not dead-sure what, but I think I might have applied a glycolic acid serum too quickly and wiped it across my lips, hitting my lower lip the most heavily. I get moisturizer all over my lips often, so it's my best guess. My lips are so "ouchy," as Laurie at Product Girl called it on Twitter! They are red, painful, and feel like they are being stretched apart. Since I'm careful to avoid retinol, the product that will burn me, the serum is my best guess at what left me hurting. My advice to everyone is to read directions. If the label says to avoid the eye and mouth area, pay attention!

It's time for The Friday Forum. We use the forum to share information and chat. Did you find any deals you couldn't resist this week? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By Monday, most readers have moved on.

Don't forget to enter this week's giveaway contest for a bareMinerals Faux & Foxy set! A Sephora exclusive, it's a nice bronzer/lip gloss duo, and it comes with a brush. The colors are nice for any skin tone.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go watch more wedding arrivals.

Photo by BTiB

4 comments:

Eileen said...

This certainly has been a week of devastating destruction in the US. When I see the pictures of leveled towns and read the interviews with the survivors, I am stunned by the magnitude of the destruction. And, I guess I'm in good company because the ferocity of the tornados that battered the South and Southeast has even shocked the weather experts. As we did for Japan, I'm sure we'll all look into our hearts and pocketbooks to do what we can to bring help and support to our fellow-men. Somehow, when Obama said he wanted to put America to work, I don't think he had Search and Rescue in mind!

I guess spring has truly arrived when the beauty blogs are all buzzing with wonderful reviews of this year's selection of bronzers and bronzer/blushes. There seem to be beautiful offerings for every skin tone. Chanel's Bronze Rosé has become my go to bronzer/blush for those times when I want a bit of sun-kissed glow. It works beautifully with my light skin tone and is getting quite a workout. I also bought Aurora which I love for it's deeper peach tinged bronze. I use Aurora much as I would a luminizer--face, décolleté, anywhere the sun would normally touch. To apply it, I use the Super Fan Brush by Louise Young that I originally saw on Gaia's blog. Once I stopped laughing (it's humongous!), I promptly ordered one. It's a really great brush. For anyone who likes a good fan brush, take a look at it over at The Non-Blond.

This week was my youngest son's graduation from law school and we're just as proud and happy as can be! When he was a teenager, he was my wild child. I used to joke that he was the one responsible for all my gray hair :-) He was never a bad kid, but he liked pushing the limits all the time. I used to tell my husband that sometimes you needed to rebel against something in order to understand why it's there, why it's necessary, or why it's important. My husband used to respond that our son must be learning a lot judging by all his pushing! Anyway, it was a wonderful and joyous week for our family.

I better let someone else take a turn now. I hope everyone is enjoying a beautiful spring day. Happy weekend!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen!

Well, the day was one for two. The wedding was beautiful, and the launch was scrubbed. I don't think anyone does pageantry better than the Brits!

A new attorney in the family - congratulations! How proud you must be! We are all happy with you.

This has been a bronzer season. What thrills me is that there is a shade for everyone. I've practiced my technique of using a fluffy brush, rather than a fan brush, for light applications of anything. I agree, though, for anyone wanting precision, those fan brushes are hard to beat.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

I didn't didn't know that glycolic acid could be so hazardous! I hope you have a speedy recovery.
I thought about Diana too. It doesn't seem fair that everyone else is now reasonably happy or seems to be. Not that I bear any ill will toward the others, it just doesn't seem fair. That said, I'm happy for Wills and Kate. They are adorable! It speaks volumes about his character that he drew the lessons from his mother's experience and assured as best he could that his bride was brought gently into her new life, and with as much support as possible.
Wouldn't you like to know what Harry said to William after looking back to see Kate walking down the aisle? I loved her dress and her sister Pippa's. So elegant. I wish I had more occasions to wear hats and especially fascinators. I loved Victoria Beckham's.
I still haven't seen the summer collections. I bought the Chanel Mimosa polish and am loviing it, but Dillards didn't have the eye shadows yet. I think the quad has my name on it. I'm loving facial cleansing oils these days. I've only used the samples from Pur Minerals and Seikisho. Does anyone have recommendations? I'd like to try Sulwahsoo.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Ava!

I am not sure, but I think it was the glycolic acid. My lower lip is blistered now. I have Aquaphor on it now. Hope it heals soon.

What a nice wedding! I loved everything about it. I've even analyzed Kate's makeup!

We all know Diana would have been thrilled for her son. Maybe some day, we will get to find out what that rascal Harry said to his brother!

I like the Josie Maran, Bobbi Brown, and Shu Uemura cleansing oils. That's what's here in use now. :)