Friday, April 29, 2011

Ormonde Jayne Frangipani Eau de Parfum

I have wanted to try the Ormonde Jayne fragrances for months. Every time I looked at their British Web site, I sighed. The international shipping was so much money; I couldn't bring myself to order. Suddenly, a couple of weeks ago, I got a free shipping offer. My wish was granted! It always pays to register at sites that interest you.

I bought three Eau de Parfums. The first I've started wearing is Frangipani (about $117 in U.S. dollars). I wore it today, which I think was appropriate for a royal wedding day! I wonder if any of the guests were wearing it too.

I'll let Ormonde Jayne tell you about it.

With its large elegant cream-colored petals, frangipani is perhaps the queen of all tropical flowers. The heart of the structure is a fabulous, heady fusion of frangipani, jasmine, and tuberose absolutes, elevated with plum, water lilies, and green orchid oil. The scent has great foundations and architecture; the notes are soft, captivating, and unforgettable.

The top notes are linden blossom, magnolia flower, and lime peel. The heart or mid-notes are white frangipani, jasmine, rose and tuberose absolutes, water lilies, plum, and green orchid oil. The base notes are amber, musk, cedar, and French vanilla absolute.
I couldn't decide about Frangipani when I read these notes online; I was concerned about the amber and particularly the vanilla. As a rule, I'm not a big fan of fragrances that remind me of cupcakes. Gaia, The Non-Blonde, had told me she thought I would like the Ormonde Jayne florals. Trusting her instincts entirely, I was willing to buy without a whiff. She was right!

Fragrance experts have been in the know about Ormonde Jayne for a long time. Founded by Linda Pilkington, who was asked to create the perfect scented candle for one of the world's leading luxury houses, Ormonde Jayne prides itself on defying convention. The company uses specialty oils not widely used in the perfume industry. They want to be on the "cutting edge of creativity." I like the sound of that.

Ormonde Jayne has a boutique on Old Bond Street in London. The interior looks snazzy in photos. I love the fragrance packaging. The magnetic snap box that holds my new eau de parfums has contrasting colors of vibrant mandarin and ebony. It's timeless, classic yet modern, and elegant - simply stunning. I can't recycle the boxes!

Frangipani sprays on initially with a bit of an alcohol rush, but quickly dries to a fruity floral with a green lilt. I can smell the linden blossom, which makes it unique, and the lime peel. As it starts to dry down, and those heady florals take over, it becomes "even better." The base notes have a nice balance - not too woody, not too musky, just perfect. That vanilla? Almost imperceptible. Maybe it's my nose and spring allergy season, but I don't think so.

If you like sophisticated, clean florals, I think you will like Ormonde Jayne's Frangipani as much as I do. Remember to register at the Web site!

Photo courtesy of Ormonde Jayne

7 comments:

Cheryl G. said...

Oh do tell!
What other two OJ's did you get?
I have Tiare and Ormonde Woman. I'm having a love affair with Woman and I'm looking forward to wearing Tiare when it heats up.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Cheryl!

My other two are Sampaquita and Osmanthus. Didn't order Tiare, which would seem a natural for me, because it has patchouli in it.

Ormonde Woman looks interesting!

lovethescents said...

Frangipani is a wonderful fragrance and so different from other tropicals. How do you like the Sampaquita and Osmanthus, by the way?

Tiare is not dirty at all, even with the patchouli. I'm not a patchouli fan and can only do it in tiny, well-blended doses. Ormonde Woman is quite possibly my favorite chypre. If you'd like little samplettes of either of those, email me and I'd be happy to send you some!

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Lovethescents!

I got a sample of Tiare with my purchase, but I was able to smell the patchouli in the shipping box when I opened it!

I may take you up later on the Woman.

lovethescents said...

Sounds like you've got patchouli-sensitivity in the same way as I've got an aversion to civet!

lovethescents said...

Forgot to add, do email me when you want some samples. I've got to unload some of this stash!

Charlestongirl said...

Lovethescents, thank you!

BTW, there is nothing worse then glandular secretions from cat anal sacs! I can't imagine why anyone would use civet in a perfume.