Monday, April 25, 2011

Dior 5 Couleurs Palette Fards à Paupières in Rosy Nude for Summer 2011

Until last week, I had been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new Dior 5 Couleurs Palettes Fards à Paupières in Rosy Nude and Rosy Tan ($58). The arrival of my coveted shadows gave the Dior reps a break; I could stop asking.

Inspired by the haute couture treatment of materials and dyes, these must-have palettes provide what Dior calls Couture Color variations with an "unrivaled Color Art formula." The formula is said to "capture and organize a high concentration of pure radiance micronized pigments to ensure a vibrant color finish," with matte, satiny, and finely shimmering results.

Dior further describes these colors with graphic and verbal descriptions of the shades and how to use them in the directions that come inside the box. I'm delighted with four of these shades. I think the Rosy Nude palette (shown at top left) is gorgeous, and I love the color mix - except for the discordant pink in the center. To my eye, the pink doesn't coordinate well with the neutral variations in the compact. You'll see why in my swatch photo below.

I love the four shades that ring the palette, from a highlighting pinky-peach tone to a matte brown. My swatch photo was taken in very full sunlight, which exaggerates the shimmer. The shadows were applied with a sponge-tipped applicator for maximum color. I swatched clockwise, starting with the pinky-peach at the top left and ending with the pink at the center of the compact.

The highlighting shade looks less pinky-peach and more white on my skin in full sun. In the shade - or indoors - it has more color. There is a close-up of it below. The beautiful golden beige in the upper right corner translates as it is. It's a shade I adore in most palettes - or on its own. The peach in the lower right corner is a great shade - wearable by this cool-toned blond, but wearable by warmer skins too (I think). The brown is a medium golden brown - not terribly dark, which is terrific in my book. Don't these shades coordinate beautifully for a summer look?

Then you throw in that pink in the center. While I love pink and brown together, to my eye this pink and this brown don't play well together. The pink is too dark and cool, and the brown is too light and warm for the two to be paired. Maybe Dior was challenging me to think outside the dark blue, mirrored box?

Four out of five isn't an issue for me. I love four of the shades, so I am pleased. I'll share my impressions of the other new palette, Rosy Tan, very soon. It was also worth the wait. I purchased my new 5 Couleurs Palettes Fards à Paupières at Neiman Marcus. I'm sure other Dior counters have them. I saw the two new palettes at Nordstrom.

What do you think? Would you wear the center pink shade with the other shades in Rosy Nude?

Photos by BTiB

No comments: