Thursday, April 7, 2011

Chanel Rouge Coco Shine Sheer Hydrating Lip Collection

Chanel's Rouge Coco Shine Sheer Hydrating Lipshine ($32) pays homage to Coco Chanel, the visionary for whom modernity was a sixth sense. Each of the 18 (actually more) has a relationship to her life and loves. We were teased with the introduction of one shade for Valentine's Day. Boy was available for a few days at Chanel and select Nordstrom stores. I got mine from Coral Gables (by phone); I know many of you purchased Boy. I wear it often. Rouge Coco Shine is the replacement for my favorite Chanel lipstick, the discontinued Aqualumière.

I love sheer and shiny. Now, after withholding them for weeks, the Chanel counters have started to sell Rouge Coco Shine. Knowing the lipstick's characteristics from Boy, I selected four, maybe five, must-have's after playing with the testers at the store. Yesterday, I saw the photos below at Chanel's Web site and had a mini-conference call with Kathy Shoreman and Janine Greenberg at Neiman Marcus and selected more shades. I ended up with eight, and they are all gorgeous.

"Rouge Coco Shine Hydrating Sheer Lipshine provides lasting moisturizing shine in a water-light texture. The formula glides on for quick and easy application, and a unique Hydratendre complex hydrates and softens lips, giving them a healthier and fuller appearance." This lipstick is available in a complete range of shades, from delicate beiges to berries, "with a hint of shimmer to enhance a glossy finish." This shimmer distinction is noteworthy because the finish of Rouge Coco Shine is lightly shiny - not metallic, reflective, glittery, or mirror-like. It gleams in a delightful way.

My experience with Boy is that it loses its shine in an hour or two. The color is long-lasting, but the shine is gone. I apply lip gloss at that point to bring back the shine. My lips look fuller (and better) with shine. It's my preference.

I thought you might enjoy seeing the Inspiration, the Story behind Every Shade, from Chanel. You can click on the three photos at the end of this feature to enlarge them.

Given 18 choices, which shades would you select - or did you select? Here are swatches of my eight choices. The first photos I posted were taken in early morning sunlight, and they weren't great. Because there was a threat that clouds would roll in as the day progressed, I wanted to get "something" to show you. Because we didn't get those promised clouds, I modified this feature this afternoon with slightly better (lighter) swatch photos.

I swatched in numeric order. The first four, top to bottom on my arm at right are Unique (#51), Fétiche (#52), Romance (#55), and Aventure (#57). The second four, shown on my arm immediately below left are Élise (#59), Monte-Carlo (#62), Bel-Ami (#6), and Deauville (#67). I hope you can see the difference in these shades, despite my sub-par photos. I think all of Chanel's descriptions shown below are fairly accurate.

One shade, which I didn't purchase and is not shown on Chanel's Web site, is exclusive to Neiman Marcus. It's Misia, a sheer orange/peach/coral shade - not my color, but a popular one for spring and summer.

If I had to select favorites - I'm glad I don't - I would choose Boy, Unique, Fétiche, and Bel-Ami. That's probably because I love rose shades with a touch of brown.

At long last, you can purchase Rouge Coco Shine at Chanel's Web site, Neiman Marcus, Saks, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, Bergdorf Goodman, and all Chanel counters nationwide in the U.S. Because they shipped so many weeks ago, all of the counters unveiled them on the same day.

All photos except swatches courtesy of Chanel



8 comments:

Eileen said...

Although I "only" have five of the colors--Aventure, Boy, Chance, Evasion, and Monte Carlo--I could have very easily selected some more; so your collection of eight doesn't sound in the least bit extreme to me :-)

One of the many things that I really love about this formulation is that even after the "shine" wears off, there is still a soft, smooth stain of color on the lips. A dab of balm or gloss is all it takes to revive it.

For a casual or understated look, I like Shine straight from the tube. When I want a bit more polish and dash, I like to put a bit of gloss over it. If you happen to have LMdB's gloss in Cannes, try layering that over Boy. Gorgeous! Chanel's Glossimer in Charming layered over Chance is another beauty. Shine really plays nice with a good gloss.

For those of us who love sophisticated, translucent colors, Chanel has definitely come up with a winner.

lovethescents said...

I have Elise and quite like it. But what shocked me here, more than anything, is the cost. $32 in the US??? Here in Canada it cost me $42, plus 15% sales tax. Criminal!!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen!

I totally agree. A little balm or gloss revives the color right away - and you and I both don't mind re-applications either.

Now I have to go try your suggested gloss combo!

Charlestongirl said...

Lovethescents, hi there!

That is criminal.

pinkribbons said...

I love these lipsticks and bought Unique, Monte Carlo and Rebelle.

Misia is a beautiful colour but sadly it didn't really show on my lips. I want Elise and Bel Ami but they are not available here :(

Have fun with your new lipsticks you've now made me want to visit the Chanel counter again LOL.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Pinkribbons!

You and me both. I suspect we will be trying and trying to find another shade we missed on the first pass. Just think, maybe someday there will be even more colors. :)

Unknown said...

sheer and shiny is how i like my lipsticks too! Monte Carlo description sounds like a red I might pull off without looking like I stole my mom's makeup. i pretty much love all of the shades you swatched too!

Jenn S. said...

Ok, now I want every pink shade you just swatched. Amazingly, I've stayed away from the Chanel counter since these were released I think I know I will do some damage once there!