Sunday, June 26, 2011

Chanel Rouge Coco in Plumetis and Lèvres Scintillantes Glossimer in Braise for Fall 2011

The lip colors in Chanel's Fall 2011 Collection seem to be overshadowed by the nail colors and Illusion d'Ombre Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadows! I decided to try two new lip colors, selecting both in person at Neiman Marcus: Chanel Rouge Coco Hydrating Crème Lip Colour in Plumetis (#79) and Lèvres Scintillantes Glossimer in Braise (#158).

Rouge Coco in Plumetis ($32), featured in Chanel's promotional photo above and shown on the model at right, is a lovely peach/pink-toned nude shade - just the right intensity to make the lips look pretty, while ensuring the eyes remain the focal point of the look.

It's one of those shades that will have a different appearance on every woman, depending on the shade of her lips. I tested it in the store on my arm (I never apply used testers to my lips) and saw more pink than it appears to have on my lips. The first time I wore it, I felt I needed a topper and reached for a plum-rose gloss. It was just a little too light for the outdoor evening event I was attending.

The shade in the tube appears to be a pink nude. On my skin, it's either a peachy nude or very warm pink nude, depending on your perspective. Swatched, it's definitely peach nude on my skin.

Lèvres Scintillantes Glossimer in Braise (28.50), which appears to be a sparkly red in the tube in the promotional photos, is really a warm, rosy coral. Again, I caution that our skin tones may make a huge difference with these shades.

I decided to skip Chanel's photo of Braise. It's way too red and way too cool. Here's how it appears to my camera and my eye - dark and sparkling. Lovely, but a surprise on the skin! This "dark" gloss shade is a medium-toned gloss, more coral than rose, but still entirely wearable for my cool skin. It adds a lovely glow to Plumetis, and it's pretty when worn alone. The micro-sparkles in this gorgeous gloss will make your lips glow.

Check out the combo in my swatch photos, which were taken outdoors in sunlight. Would you have expected these shades from the promotional photos? They are gorgeous, but I'm glad I waited to see them before I purchased them. At least I knew what I was buying!

I don't want to leave you with the impression that these new lip colors are not beautiful. They are. They aren't "revolutionary." They are pretty, and, actually, they are absolutely perfect for summer. There must be a method to the early fall collection strategy. Wear these now with a smile on your face.

There are other new lip colors. There is another Rouge Coco in Etole, a second Lèvres Scintillantes Glossimer in Pampille, and a Rouge Double Intensité in Rose Morganite. I'm still on the fence with Rose Morganite.

You can purchase these lovely lip colors and the rest of the fall collection at Chanel's Web site or your favorite Chanel counter. I bought my Chanel Fall 2011 Collection pieces online and at Neiman Marcus. I'm sure Saks, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, Lord & Taylor, and the rest of the counters have or will have the collection. Although it was scheduled to launch at counters in July, it arrived a week early.

Top photo courtesy of Chanel; model photo by Vincent Lappartient; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely!! You are determined to get me to cave on more of Chanel Fall aren't you? ;-)

Charlestongirl said...

Just send your wallet down, PerilouslyPale, and I'll take good care of your investments. :)

Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said...

Please. Stop. Doing. This.

I had just talked myself out of this collection in light of the fact that it has been previewed by everyone and I figured I could do without just this once (with the possible exception of the liner)...and now you come along with LIP PRODUCTS...my kryptonite.

Please, woman, show some mercy!!

Shannon

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I am going to be broke!!! These photos and reviews are killing me!! It's not here in Canada for a few more weeks! I'm going to have to cross the border soon. I'm not sure I can wait!

Charlestongirl said...

You all are so funny! You know you wanted these, even before I posted this feature. Right?

This Chanel collection has something for everyone - and, unfortunately for our wallets, many things for most of us. :)

Lipstick Musings, you will like both Rouge Coco shades, the second, Etole, if you love bright lip colors.

Tracy, I'll bet you'll find Plumetis perfect. :)

The glosses are drop-dead gorgeous.

lovethescents said...

How strange? The comment I left yesterday was deleted. I don't think I was inappropriate. I just commented on how I loved the look of Plumetis. It looks extremely versatile. Thank you for the review.

Charlestongirl said...

What is going on with my comments? I have no idea. I didn't delete your comment, Lovethescents! I am wondering if this account has been hacked. I am going off to change the password now. Thanks for letting me know.