Thursday, June 16, 2011

Rouge Bunny Rouge Seas of Illumination Highlighting Liquid

This has been my year of discovery of Rouge Bunny Rouge. I have fallen head over heels, like Alice in Wonderland, for RBR cosmetics. In Chapter 1 of Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, Alice is bored as she sits on a river's bank with her sister. She notices a talking, clothed White Rabbit with a pocket watch hop past. She follows the White Rabbit down a rabbit hole, where she falls a long way to a curious hall with many locked doors of all sizes. She finds a key to a door, through which she sees an attractive garden - Rouge Bunny Rouge's Enchanted Garden? Just speculation on my part.

As I've opened the doors of the Rouge Bunny Rouge line, I've fallen in love. I've already recounted many of my purchases. Today, I want to show you the three Seas of Illumination Highlighting Liquids ($69.79) I purchased from Zuneta.

There are four shades available.
  • Sea of Clouds, moonlight on the water with a luminous effect - a white shade that will brighten and freshen any skin tone
  • Sea of Tranquility, pale pink, milky opalescence with white and gold pearls to enliven the skin with luminosity
  • Sea of Showers, a honeyed white gold for golden gorgeousness
  • Sea of Nectar, the darkest shade offered (but not that dark), rose gold to add a pale copper warmth
I had such a hard time selecting only one shade, I purchased three: all except Sea of Clouds. Like Alice, I was enchanted with the idea of opening all the doors.

Like all Rouge Bunny Rouge colors, these highlighting liquids have a story.

At sunset in the Enchanted Garden, you can fleetingly glimpse the mermaids dancing in the gently lapping waves of the Grand Moon Seas. Evening mists rise and tenderly caress them, lingering languorously on their bodies to gift their skin with uncommon youth and beauty. We were inspired by this scene to bring you this dream in a bottle so that you can have your very own transformation.

The moisturizing surge of liquid pearls will dance whispers on your skin till dawn. Be as playful as the magical being that you are - you'll still look as sublimely refined and urbanely elegant as the Moon itself. The tiny reflective particles will illuminate you anywhere you choose, with a sinfully quivering effect to quietly showcase your beauty. Bring fine-spun silver thrills by night or by day - to eyes, brows, temples, or shoulders. No one can eclipse you, Moon Mermaid.

This multipurpose water-based fluid blends easily with moisturizer or foundation to customize the look - to yours alone. Create an inside-out illumination effect and blend it to a thin, refined wash of pearls. Light fragrance of cucumber with a touch of peach flower will add to your application pleasure. A quartet of shades with melissa extract to soothe and Vitamin E to guard against aging.

The Seas of Illumination Highlighting Liquids are as delightful as their description, from the packaging to their lightweight, creamy liquid texture. Now that I've added these gorgeous illuminators to my newest Chanel palette and my Giorgio Armani Fluid Sheer "collection," I feel privileged. They are that special.

The containers have a handy pump top that dispenses a very generous portion with one press of the pump. When blended on my skin, the shades make me bright and glowing or golden and glowing - glowing in all cases. Once blended, these flashy shades settle into subtle brilliance - definitely wearable! Just use a light touch when you apply Seas of Illumination. With more than one, you can create a wardrobe of looks. You can use them as-is, mix them to create your own personal colors, or mix them with your foundation for an allover glow.

Sea of Tranquility is the palest of pinks. Sea of Showers and Sea of Nectar are golden. They don't look terribly different in the bottles, but they are on the skin. I took many swatch photos, probably because I was so excited by the shades. For my photos, I applied a tiny dab of each shade I purchased onto my palm and applied and evened it out with my finger. The shades are swatched, top to bottom, as Sea of Tranquility, Sea of Showers, and Sea of Nectar. My photos were taken in full sun.

Hopefully, you can see the nuances between Sea of Showers in the middle and Sea of Nectar at the bottom of my arm. While both are gold, Sea of Nectar has that rose gold tint that's so special to me.

These fluids blend effortlessly, leaving behind a magical lightness and radiant iridescence. Despite their unblended shimmer in my swatch photos, once blended on the skin, they impart a light-reflecting sheen. You can apply them under or over your foundation.

If you can select only one, you'll have to decide whether you want to be a pale beauty or a golden goddess. Should you choose to be a golden goddess, you'll have to make a hard decision. Pure gold or rose gold? I wouldn't say you need both - as I did - but it's a tough choice between equally exquisite shades. Try to play croquet with a flamingo!

You can purchase Rouge Bunny Rouge at Zuneta. They offer fabulous customer service and free international shipping with orders over £65. I have one more item from my last order to show you, then I'll be online again, selecting the items for order #3.

Photos at top courtesy of Zuneta and Wikipedia; photos of bottles and swatches by Best Things in Beauty

14 comments:

Style de Nude said...

Thanks for a gorgeous review! I will definitely be trying one of these out, maybe the Sea of Nectar. The rose gold effect is so pretty. The luminosity of these highlighters is quite striking.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, ProductDoctor! You will adore Sea of Nectar. It's so glam.

Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup said...

I cannot wait to buy this. I will for sure be getting RBR's Sea of Tranquility. How gorgeous are these? Oooh, I can't wait!

Charlestongirl said...

That is a good question, Hopelessly Devoted! How gorgeous are these? They speak for themselves. Once you get one and blend it on your face, you will marvel at how gorgeous it really is.

Eileen said...

Hi Charlestongirl and Hopelessly Devoted,

I received Sea of Tranquility just the other day and cannot get over how beautiful it is. There is a definite pink tone to this highlighter that will take any pink or rose blush from pretty to stunning. And, if your cheeks already have a bit if natural pink to begin with, it can even be worn alone over the cheek bones for a soft, dewy look. It's also simply beautiful on the brow bone and as a spotlight on the lid above the iris. Worn in the classic C formation swept from brow bone to cheek bone, it's sophisticated and elegant. As you can tell, I've been merrily playing with it ever since it arrived chez moi :-)

There are a lot of lovely pale pink highlighters out there: Nars Copacabana, Benefit High Beam, Armani Fluid Sheer #7, and more by MAC than anyone could possibly remember, but they don't begin to approach the same level of refinement that is so apparent in Sea of Tranquility. The price point is off the charts, but anyone who is a fan of elegant highlighters should own at least one by RBR.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this review!! I have Sea of Tranquillity which I still need to review but I thought I would be getting Sea of Clouds next. I thought Sea of Nectar was just a lot darker and obviously I don't want darker. Well I most certainly want to choose the subtle nuance of Rose Gold!! You have aided me in making a decision I didn't even know needed making! xoxo

luv2smilexo said...

what an amazing review. those look lovely but soo pigmented

Charlestongirl said...

Hi PerilouslyPale and Luv2smilexo!

Since they are only pigmented when unblended, you'll find that all of the shades will work on pale skin (like mine!). They blend down to liquid light. Magic on the face.

lovethescents said...

Oooh, these do look beautiful. I've never worn highlighters. I understand the concept, and particularly after Eileen's informative comment, I think I might give it a go. Would these be applied before or after the application of a bronzer?

Eileen said...

Hi Lovethescents,

I don't know about the other ladies, but when I'm applying a cream or liquid highlighter to cheekbones or in the C formation, I usually apply it right after my foundation so that I can get a seamless blend. The look I'm going for with the highlighter will then determine how much and where I place my bronzer and/or blush. When using a powder highlighter like Bobbi Brown Shimmer Bricks or many of MAC's iterations, I usually apply them as a final step to the top of my cheekbones.

If you like the idea of using a highlighter (Beware! They're addictive!), find one that you really like and ask a trusted SA or MA how best to use it.

I've had some MA's put highlighter on first and some MA's have used it as a finishing touch--almost like an afterthought. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents - and Eileen!

I apply highlighters over my foundation, or mixed with foundation. I do think this one could be worn under a light or medium consistency foundation and still illuminate the skin. I'm just an "over" kind of gal, like Eileen.

You can use a synthetic brush to apply, but I find patting them into the skin with my finger leaves a more seamless application. Give one a try. We all experiment; that's half the fun!

Lisa said...

Received Sea of Showers today. It is absolutely gorgeous! Earlier in the week I received the foundation in chestnut milk parfait. I found the foundation a little thick and didn't spead very easily. I watch the RBR videos on Zuneta avidly. The make-up artist always blends the foundation and highlighting liquid. Now I can do the same. What a difference!. My foundation/sea of showers glides over my primer and leaves a soft dewy finish. Love, love, Love this look! For reference I wear Armani Lasting Silk Foundation in #5.

Lisa said...

I meant to add that as I've gotten older my the redness in my skin is more noticeable. This being said, I shied away from the rose-gold although I love the color! I guessed right, Sea of Showers was the perfect fit for me!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lisa,

I've been lucky. As I've aged, my redness has faded. Not sure if that's good or bad. :)

I have never tried the RBR foundation. It's usually the last item I try with a line. I have so many already, and how many can one wear in a day?