Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bobbi Brown Tortoise Shell Collection for Fall 2011 - Beach High Shimmer Lip Gloss

Even though Bobbi Brown's new Tortoise Shell Collection focuses on the eyes, what better way to draw in others' eyes than with a pretty lip? Bobbi has just the thing for you! From two new limited-edition shades of Rich Lip Color SPF 12 to three shades of High Shimmer Lip Gloss, you'll have a tough choice to make if you're in a frugal mood. Not only that, there is a snazzy set of mini brushes to tempt you. What's a gal to do? Cave!


I was tempted to purchase this Tortoise Shell Mini Brush Set ($55) even though I have enough Bobbi Brown brushes to last for life. It's so pretty! The tortoise shell case and brown handles lend a special touch to Bobbi's fabulous brushes.

When Rich Lip Color SPF 12 ($22) was introduced earlier this year, I bought a lot of shades. Last weekend, I had to tell myself, "You don't need more of them!" Oh, how I wanted at least one. I think I will purchase one of the two (Soft Nude or Twig) in early July. I wasn't as strong when it came to the High Shimmer Lip Glosses ($22). Bare Sparkle, Beach, and Citrus beckoned. Citrus is a pre-existing shade. Bare Sparkle and Beach are new.

Bobbi’s new lip gloss combines gorgeous, light-catching shimmer with lasting, non-sticky shine. Made with fine pearls and clear pigments, High Shimmer Lip Gloss stays color-true and gives lips beautiful, brilliant dimension. Plus it’s enriched with emollients and vitamins C and E to moisturize, condition, and protect lips - so they feel as good as they look. Whether you wear it on its own or on top of your favorite lipstick, the new tapered sponge applicator lets you apply it like a pro. I am quite pleased with Bobbi's new applicators. I found the old brushes difficult. They always got splayed after a few uses. It was too much trouble, sometimes impossible, to precisely aim the wand into the tube to ensure that the brush would stay in pristine shape. This is a marvelous change!

I selected Beach (#16), a beautiful, shimmering brown shade with a hint of mauve on the skin. It's got personality. It was also the darkest of the two new shades, and I like a little color in my gloss.

Look at these swatch photos and tell me Beach doesn't have a personality. It adapts to light and its surroundings, pulling first one tint, then another, to draw attention to your lips. The finish is a glossy shimmer, reflecting light with a liquid gleam. To see it is to want it. The hydrangeas are lovely too. They will be making frequent appearances here.

I applied Beach straight from its wand and tried to paint an even square on my arm. The photos were taken in sunlight, although I tried to vary the sun's angle in the photos. The shade and the shine are exquisite, whether in full-on or indirect sunlight. I may need to buy a second tube of this gloss. I want one for my bathroom, but I'm sure I'll feel compelled to keep one in my makeup bag.

Yesterday, I promised to show you a press photo of the Sand Tortoise Shell Eye Palette - the one I didn't buy. Like its sister in Bronze, which I swatched yesterday for you (gleefully), Sand is filled with neutrals, four of which are new and exclusive to the palette. Anyone who is drawn to matte neutrals (there are two metallic shades in Sand), will be thrilled with this wardrobe of neutrals for the eyes.
The Tortoise Shell Collection is available at Nordstrom Tysons Corner Center and Pentagon City. It's probably available at other Nordstrom stores now. It will have its grand opening on July 1 at Bobbi Brown online and Bobbi Brown counters. You'll be able to armchair shop or visit your favorite counter to purchase. Many of the pieces in the collection are limited editions.

Press photos courtesy of Bobbi Brown; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

10 comments:

lovethescents said...

Beach is incredible! I can see this becoming a summer necessity. It looks very versatile too! Can't wait to get mine :-)

makeup merriment said...

I have Citrus and was a little disappointed with the lack of pigment on the lips, but like the non sticky formula. I am going to have a closer look at beach- thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents!

Beach is beautiful. It was an easy choice for me. Bare Sparkle is a lovely shade, but very light.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Makeup Merriment!

Beach is more pigmented than Citrus, but they are not heavily pigmented. See what you think.

Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup said...

That lip gloss looks so pretty! I'm pleased to hear she redesigned the brush because I've had problems with this in the past too. Bobbi's collection overall looks like a real winner!

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I'm so sad that I wasn't able to go to "Bobbi School" this summer because we're moving. The print material that comes out with each collection is amazing! And the products are beyond amazing!! Thanks for posting these and increasing my longing for more BB!!!

Sabrina said...

OMG I must check this out. I passed on her first sparkle gloss release b/c they seemed too sparkly. Beach looks wonderful though. Thanks for the preview!!!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Hopelessly Devoted!

I couldn't be more happy about the new wands. And this gloss is a beauty.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi MamaVal,

Yes, they do that to us with the training materials, and then we wait...and wait...and wait. :) My BB friends always show the materials to me, and I want everything right then and there!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Sabrina,

These are sparkly, but appropriately sparkly, I think. Check them out at the counter and let us know what you think. I really like Beach. Bare Sparkle was a little too light for me. I really do need some color.