Thursday, August 30, 2012

M·A·C Heavenly Creature Mineralize Blush - A Surprising Treat

As you may remember, I was late to the limited-edition Heavenly Creature Collection. No surprise there. I'm late to most of the M·A·C "parties." Still, after I tried Mineralize Skinfinish in Star Wonder, which I use as a blush, I wanted to try the blushes in the collection. So, I ordered Ring of Saturn and Stratus Mineralize Blushes ($23.50) from Nordstrom online. Although neither appeared to be "me," I wanted to play. Now, I wish I had also ordered Solar Ray, shown above. The play time has been fun.

Baked minerals are refined into a powder formula to provide exceptionally sheer and lightweight application. Color builds lightly, layer after layer, without heavy coverage. Veils and enhances the cheekbones with a luminous, pearlized shimmer.

Here are my two shades: Stratus (described as amethyst and gold melange) on the left and Ring of Saturn (described as terracotta and gold melange) on the right. I've found that I can't predict the blended and applied shade just by looking at a photo or at the compact directly. These are such complex shades, with the pretty swirls of color, that each one is a little surprise. Look at these gorgeous shades on my arm.

I swatched them with a sponge-tipped applicator (unnatural for a blush) and took my photos in full, late-afternoon sun. I applied the bands of color very heavily. No one will apply them this way.

I was surprised by how wearable both shades are when applied with a fluffy blush brush. The lighter shade, Ring of Saturn, is the best for me, but I'm looking forward to trying the darker one, Stratus (at the top of my arm), with my fall and winter clothing. I think these shades are stunning.

While I may have shades similar to the peachy Ring of Saturn, I don't think I own a blush quite like Stratus. Ring of Saturn is a pink-leaning peach on my cheeks. I'm struggling to describe Stratus. I think I can fairly call it rose, but what shade of rose? The purple I see in the compact doesn't translate into purple or lavender on my skin. If anything, there appears to be some brown in the shade. It's really flattering. If your skin is darker than mine, you might want to wear it now. I'll wait until the season can support the shade on my face.

These shades are not overtly shimmery on my face, but they do have a lot of life. My play time has been extremely satisfying. I'm going to have to be faster when M·A·C introduces its next Mineralized colletion.

What do you think of these shades? Have you tried them? Should I spring for Solar Ray?

Photo at top courtesy of M·A·C; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

No comments: