Monday, August 6, 2012

NARS Vent Glacé Duo Eyeshadow from the Fall 2012 Color Collection

Designed by NARS founder and Creative Director François Nars, the NARS Fall 2012 Color Collection features a blend of bold, modern shades and celestial shimmers. I went with the celestial shimmers.

Vent Glacé ($34), French for “icy wind,” is the name of the intriguing Duo Eyeshadow in the collection, which features a "stormy combination of platinum and silver smoke." It looked like my kind of eyeshadow duo, and I hoped that I'd like the look when I ordered it without seeing swatches anywhere.

Wear each shade solo, layered, or one as a base and the other as a highlighter for a seductive, shimmering effect.

I absolutely adore Vent Glacé! NARS hit the ball of the park with these shimmering shades. Silver and the lightest sage green complement each other beautifully, and the shades adhere perfectly to my eyelids. Not only that, they apply evenly with no undue effort (perhaps NARS fixed the texture issues they had last year).

I've had this gorgeous shadow for weeks. I have no idea why I hadn't chosen it for a prime-time feature. As I remarked in the comments recently, sometimes, I just drop the ball and move on. That was a big mistake with my two new NARS beauties. Fortunately, they are both available for anyone who has been on the fence. OK, I promise that was my last baseball reference. Speaking of baseball, why was it dropped from the Summer Olympics?

I took my swatch photos in full, late-morning sun. I applied the shades with a sponge-tipped applicator. The silver is at the top of my arm, with the pastel sage below. The silver shade is pure silver. It does not lean blue. If anything, it leans green - but only to my eye. I think most will see it as pure gleaming, polished platinum or silver. It adheres to the skin beautifully, making application a breeze.

The hard-to-characterize pastel, shimmering sage is stunning - so fabulous that I just ordered another Vent Glacé. I also ordered the new NARS Eyeliner Stylo in Koala to go with it. Call me crazy, but this duo has earned my love. It's definitely one of my favorite NARS eye shadow purchases in years - and there have been some great ones.

Rosemary, my sweet reader, you were looking for a silver shadow. Will this one work for you?

By now, I'm sure at least a few of you have purchased this beautiful duo. How do you like it? If you haven't had time to check it out, you can find it at the NARS Web site, where shipping is free on any order. For some reason, the NARS counters closed at regional Neiman Marcus stores, so online shopping will become even more important for me.

Photo at top courtesy of NARS; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

20 comments:

Coco said...

Wow! This is fast. HK doesn't have it yet. Thanks for the swatch.

Clarisse said...

Oh how I love this one! I've found it hard to adopt a Nars palette recently (they just didn't appeal to me) but I do adore this one: I imagine wearing it with pleasure! Thanks for the introduction, Charlestongirl:-)

Anonymous said...

I agree! I bought this one too and I think it's one of their best duos ever. It just brightens up the whole face!

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

That shimmering sage color is beyond gorgeous, but unfortunately I don't really like the silver shade as I think eyeshadows that starkly silver aren't at all flattering on my warm skin tone. I haven't decided yet if that greenish shade is worth me buying the duo for...

morelikespace said...

For something so simple-looking, this really is a knock-out. Where as some sparkly shades can make my eyes look creped and lined, I agree with Tracy- this one just seems to brighten them up.

alrenwald said...

If not for your swatch of the colors--am especially intrigued about the sage green shimmery shadow--I would have easilly passed this one up! Although I loved my NARS Earth Angel duo as well as my single Lhasa shadow, I noticed that there was quite a fallout with them. Thanks for swatching these, Charlestongirl!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Coco,

Glad I could help. What is HK?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Clarisse,

Many of the NARS palettes are to "far out" for me, but this one is wonderful.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Tracy,

Glad to hear the feedback. Thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Becca,

I can see how someone with warm skin might not find this as nice as I do.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks to you too, Kate, for the feedback.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Alrenwald,

Yes, there have been some NARS shadows in recent months (years?) that have not offered the quality this one does. I hope the issues are finally fixed.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

This is gorgeous! I think NARS quality is great, and the color payoff is really true. I can't wait to try it.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, MamaVal,

I love this one. Maybe others have disappointed me, but I proved my love by buying a second one. :)

Liliana said...

HK stands fro Hong Kong :)

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Liliana! I missed that entirely. I was thinking of store names. :)

BooBooNinja said...

I think she's referring to Hong Kong. :)

Rosemary said...

Hi, CG,

I am so honored that you mentioned me in your post! And the one day I was out of town, haha, so I didn't see it until this morning.

I've never tried a NARS eyeshadow, but after reading your review, I think this will be the one. In addition to the silver I've been looking for, I think the sage green is very pretty and might compliment my hazel eyes.

Thank you for remembering me and my quest, CG. You are a Holy Grail amongst bloggers, and I'm thankful that you're not limited edition. ;) :)

xo
Rosemary

Rosemary said...

UPDATE: I just ordered it from Sephora's website (boy, they don't make it easy).

In addition to the three samples (none of which I'm exited about) I am getting a deluxe sample of Shiseido's Lacquer Rouge in RD 607 which looks to be a plum. I am excited to get that! I've never tried anything Shiseido.

Rosemary

Mopsy said...

Vent Glace is great for swiping over my eyes for a quick look or pick-up mid day. Nars are brilliant at releasing shades you can layer, love it.

I can never take Baseball seriously, it is after all, Rounders by another name- sorry.