Friday, August 24, 2012

The Friday Forum - August 24

This was a fun week! I attended a fabulous fall beauty event at Neiman Marcus Mazza Galleria and spent hours learning about upcoming and newly launched makeup, skin care, and fragrance introductions. I have lots of information to share over the next week (or more).

Here are a few short blurbs on the treasures that caught my eye. I'll start with treats I purchased.

I bought and have worn the House of Houbigant's newest luxury fragrance, Orangers en Fleurs. It's a delightful orange blossom scent I'll wear all year. Of course, I stood and drooled over the new Tom Ford Private Blend Jardin Noir Collection. I'd already purchased three of the four new floral scents: Lys Fume, Jonquille de Nuit, and Ombre de Hyacinth. I hope to be able to feature them early next week.

I also purchased VENEffect's Anti-Aging Lip Treatment. I've used packet samples and been impressed. I want to test the "real deal."

La Prairie has some amazing new skin care. I need to dedicate an entire feature to it. That's Lisa Lingis above with the new lineup.

Speaking of skin care. Lancôme's new Absolue L'Extrait is phenomenal. I've been using samples, and I am smitten. This "exceptional elixir" contains up to two million rose native cells in Lancôme's more powerful regeneration product ever, which promises to help reveal more elastic and radiant skin. What I can tell you so far is that it smells and feels divine.

I've already featured Bobbi Brown's latest foundation. I tested it in the store. After being warned by the Bobbi Brown rep that Long-Wear Even-Finish Foundation SPF 15 is not for me (bless her heart), I forged ahead and applied it.  She was right. It's designed for a younger woman whose skin isn't bone dry. That would be most of you, so head over to a counter to try it.

Sisley will have a blockbuster season. There is new skin care and new makeup. Hate the pores on your face? You must try Global Perfect Pore Minimizer ($210). The new Face and Eyes Make-Up Remover left me swooning. I'll be purchasing Eau Efficace ($120) the moment it arrives at the stores. The Phyto-Blush Eclat has new zebra-striped packaging and will be on-counter in October with one new shade. Seven new Phyto-Lip Glosses are coming with the blushes. There'll be more to come here about Sisley. There were two Vicki's in the photo above. They both looked darling this week, but one closed her eyes for my camera's flash. I knew if I didn't crop out her face she would seek revenge (wouldn't you?). So, I focused the published shot on the products.

I have a sample of Dior's new foundation, which I hope to start testing this weekend. I also have photos of their holiday collection. Gasp! We already know the Dior fall collection is extraordinary.

Have you seen the new Chanel? The new Rouge Allure Luminous Intense Lip Colour comes in 16 shades - reds, corals, pinks, and beiges/browns - with at least one that will strike your fancy. Coco Noir has also arrived at counters in its elegant black bottle. I've tested it, and unfortunately, it's not right for me. I adore its top and heart notes. My first impression of a musky dry-down didn't "hold" over time. The patchouli in the base notes grabs me by the neck and won't let go. More women like it than not, though, so definitely check it out the next time you go shopping.

I won't tell you much now about La Mer's new Crème Soyeuse de la Mer because I plan to feature it very soon. I'll throw out a teaser. I adore it. You already know that I love Jo Malone's new Blackberry & Bay Cologne, which has arrived at all Jo Malone counters.

So much to share...so little time to write. Many thanks to Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie and all the product representatives who worked hard this week to make our evening informative - and fun.

I'll be back later today with one of Chantecaille's new Lip Chic shades. Until then, let's talk your week of beauty. It's time for the Friday Forum, our open chat. What new products did you discover this week? Did you find any deals you couldn't resist? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By early the next week, most (not all) readers will have moved on.

The deadline for entering the exciting NARS Foreplay Cheek Palette giveaway contest is tomorrow, August 25, at midnight. Don't forget to enter!

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

7 comments:

Eileen said...

Wow! You've certainly been busy on the beauty round-up, haven't you? It sounds like you had a fun day at NM and I know we're all looking forward to the goodies you'll be sharing with us.

Except for my Chantecaille pre-order (Elephant palette and Amour Lip Chic), I haven't made any beauty purchases. I'm waiting for the various beauty events that swirl around Fashion's Night Out.

This is definitely the year to be trying a new foundation. So, many of the major players are introducing new ones: Armani, YSL, Dior, Burberry, Guerlain, Bobbi Brown, etc. I'm always up for trying a new foundation so it looks like I'll have a lot from which to choose this year. So many things come into play when selecting a foundation. In addition to skin type and the kind of coverage desired, I find myself also taking into consideration the current trends in both makeup and fashion, and the technological advancements that are being made in makeup formulations. Makeup is one of those fun and frivolous things that is easy to keep current and is fun to play with.

Happy weekend everyone.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Neiman Marcus treats the "press" VERY well. I always feel privileged to be invited.

You are going to want the Armani Maestro foundation. I sure do!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi D!

NM doesn't have it yet. It's only available today at Chantecaille. However, NM hopes to get it for the event. Why don't you pre-order and hope for the best? That way, you can pick your choice of tote color.

Bonnie J. Weissman said...

Hi, Loved this report. Will be in Alaska when NM starts its Beauty Event. Any word on the GWPs or the bag of samples for overall purchase of $$$?

Thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Bonnie,

I will try to get all the info posted tomorrow.

Dlori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Ann said...

Thanks for the great preview, I am waiting for NM and Saks Beauty Events to make my big purchases. My list keeps growing, if only I had a money tree out in my back yard. I love La Mer, anxious to hear your review on the new one. Always eager to try a new foundation, have been using RBR and Cle de Peau. Getting to be a foundation hoarder. I will be looking forward to the rest of your reviews.