Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Giorgio Armani Beauty Yeux Teint Face & Eye Palette in Neo-Black from the Easy Chic Collection for Fall 2012


Giorgio Armani has introduced avant-garde makeup for Fall 2012. The Easy Chic Collection is available in two "classic harmonies," neither of which seem classic to me. I previewed the collection here. I featured the Neo-Classic Palette in #2, Neo-Brown here. Now that I finally have Neo-Black in my hands. I'm ready to give you my impressions.

The new signature Neo-Classic Face & Eye Palettes ($88) - in Neo-Brown and Neo-Black - look snazzy. They feature a black lacquered double-tiered case with a magnetic closure inspired by the Rouge d'Armani Lipsticks.

On the first tier, you'll find a feather-light powder with micronized particles of Micro-Fil technology to illuminate the skin with the signature Armani glow. On the second tier, you'll find two matte eye shadows in intense hues and a shimmering illuminator/shadow - also formulated with Micro-Fil technology.

The Neo-Black Palette includes a transparent face powder in Sheer Beige, teamed with Soft Beige, Taupe, and Jet Black Eye Shadows. As much as I adore and live in Giorgio Armani Beauty products, I think Mr. Armani (or Linda Cantello) missed the mark with Neo-Black (#1).

The top level is a powder, supposedly a transparent face powder. I'm not sure whose skin they had in mind. For my fair skin, it's way too dark to serve as a face powder, yet too light to be considered a useful bronzer. The model above cannot be wearing it as a face powder. It's too dark.

The lower level has one beautiful shade, the brown that looks grey in the palette, plus the black. They are mice-enough eye shadows, but they aren't unique. I don't think anyone will consider them must-haves. See what you think in my swatch photos below. I applied the shades heavily, and I swatched with a sponge-tipped applicator. My photos were taken in late-afternoon sun, but with a light cloud cover.

Ho hum. The powder, shown at the top of my arm, is a warm, slightly peachy powder. I applied it heavily to get the color you see in my photos. I don't know anyone whose skin that color. I'm not sure how it was intended to be used. This level really should have housed a blush, like #2, Neo-Brown.

The shimmering eye shadow/highlighter is gorgeous, a shimmering beige - very pretty and useful. The cool, intense brown belies its appearance in the palette - nice enough, but not a necessity if you have Neo-Brown. The black? Uninspiring. Who needs another black eyeliner?  Who needs a black eye shadow? Who needs a black eye? Not me!

I feel guilty writing a less than stellar review of a Giorgio Armani Beauty product. I live in Armani. I love Armani. Given the price, I could easily have passed on this Neo-Classic Yeux Teint Face & Eye Palette. I'm sure there's a customer for it; it's just not me. I'm too conservative. I'd recommend you give Neo-Brown a look-see if you want a new treat from Armani - or one of the new Rouge d'Armani shades.

The new Easy Chic Face & Eye Palettes are currently available at Nordstrom's Web site (and stores where there is an Armani counter). They have not been posted at the Giorgio Armani Beauty Web site, and they have not arrived at all stores that offer Giorgio Armani cosmetics. They will arrive soon, I'm sure. It's just so easy to shop online at Nordstrom, with its free shipping and relatively quick delivery.

Photos at top courtesy of Giorgio Armani Beauty; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Black eye shadow is not very inspiring. I will check out the brown one instead.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I've seen people loving this and I keep thinking what's to love? It's nothing special looking at all. The Neo Brown one is so much more versatile I think.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous,

Not sure how you feel, but I don't need black eyes. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Tracy, ditto!

Lulle said...

The powder is such a disappointment... I thought it was a blush or bronzer, but it looks pretty useless in fact.
Now for the shadows, only the shimmery one looks intesting, the other 2 are uninspiring for me...

I definitely prefer the Neo-Brown!!

Jennycove said...

I think I might be alone in this but I loved it! I use lipstick as blush and this powder cast a beautiful glow on it. As for the eye shadows- I think it comes down to if you're a smokey eye gal or not. I was easily able to creat a very modest smokey eye for day with this and I would just amp it up for a night out. Paired with new lippie 111 the look is a polished, day appropriate smoked look. :)

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

I was happy to pass on this palette precisely because that powder was confusing to me. I have no idea what they were thinking with that one...the Neo-Brown palette has such a pretty blush too!

Charlestongirl said...

Agreed, Lulle. From my perspective, it's useless. I guess I can use it as a very, very light blush. But why?

Charlestongirl said...

Jenny, I am glad someone loves it. You know I adore Armani, and I want to love everything. I tried to love #1, but couldn't.

Charlestongirl said...

Definitely #2 for most of us, Becca.

Mackenzie said...

Thanks for the review. I was going to purchase online, but between my pale skin and the lackluster quality I'm glad I waited!