Tuesday, August 7, 2012

NARS Multiple in Undress Me for Fall 2012

The Undress Me Multiple ($39), shown above, is a ballerina pink highlighter with silver shimmer. This Multiple can be used on eyes, cheeks, lips - anywhere a luminous, sparkling glow is desired. I like it. I may be the contrarian because the consensus on some of my favorite blogs seems to be that it's an odd, fashion-forward color and the sparkly finish is over the top. In short, this Multiple may not be a multi-use product.

Here's the thing. François Nars chose to feature Undress Me on supermodel Kristen McMenamy for his Fall 2012 campaign. Undress Me was applied to the hollows of her cheeks and blended toward the temples with the fingertips. On her, anything would look good. I think others - perhaps the more daring among us - may have actually thought that normal women could or should use it in the hollows of the cheeks. No way! It would look ghastly on most of us when applied that way - even those of us who are fair-skinned.

The sparkle factor limits the use of Undress Me. Anyone who doesn't want to appear to have been sprinkled with fairy dust should not try to wear it during the day. However, it's a gorgeous cream highlighter for night looks, as long as you apply it on the normal spots for a highlighter: to cap the cheekbones, to light up the eyes, or to draw attention to the contours of the face (perhaps on the temples?).

The color will not suit everyone. Undress Me is a very cool pink. Anyone who can't wear cool pink may find it goulish. You can see in my swatch photos, taken in full sun, that the pink is blue-pink. You can also see the vibrant shine, even if you can't see the silver-toned glittery pigments.

My skin is light enough (and cool enough) to wear Undress Me just as I would wear any other sparkly highlighter - in small doses and lightly. I can't imagine how this Multiple would look on dark or olive-toned skin, but I don't think I want to conjure up that image.

You can find Undress Me at the NARS Web site and all NARS counters, including Nordstrom. I'd love to know what you think.

Photos at top courtesy of NARS; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

14 comments:

Coco said...

I agree that undress me is has a cool tone and don't think it's versatile enough for most skin. Thanks for the swatch.

Leticia - Cosmetics Aficionado said...

This is pretty, but far too cool toned for me to pull it off.

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

Wow--its stunning to see Undress Me with your skin tone. The only reviews I've seen for this Multiple has been on darker, warmer or more olive skin tones. It looks absolutely fantastic on you! The color suits you perfectly! I definitely wouldn't be able to pull this one off (especially with all that silver glitter) but I'm enjoying admiring it on your arm :P

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Coco,

Very cool. Not for many. I like it, but I recognize its limitations.

Charlestongirl said...

Yep, Leticia, way too cool.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Becca. Sometimes, products just aren't for everyone. I am surprised, though. The Multiples have historically worked for many.

Victoria said...

Beautiful on ur skin! I love the color as it appears in ur swatch more than in the ad. Based on the Nars ad pic, I prolly wouldn't have looked twice!
Thanx foe the review,
Victoria

lizzybee said...

Hi Charlestongirl!! Thank you for this post: I purchased this last week as I have been familiarizing myself (finally) with the brand, and I find Undress Me to be exactly as you describe. It's a really cool pink and I really don't like it on me (NC15) but when I layer it, it looks much better. I want to try other multiples however. I love that Francois Nars is marching to his own drum- he does this very well!! xoxo Beth in Pgh

abbygal said...

I wear it as a lipstick, topped with a light gloss, very pretty!

Leigh said...

Hm, you've made me take a second look at this item. Originally I thought Undress Me would be a great cool-toned highlighter, so I was perplexed by all the negative reviews. Thanks for sharing your view - I think I'll pick this up now.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Victoria, it definitely has a more limited "audience" than most Multiples. I'm glad I'm in it!

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Beth,

There are so many good Multiples. Maybe you should return it. You shouldn't have to blend a shade to make it look good.

Charlestongirl said...

Abbygal, great idea. I plan to try that.

Charlestongirl said...

Try it first, Leigh. It did get bad press. I understand why. It's not for everyone. :)