Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Guerlain Écrin 4 Couleurs Long Lasting Eyeshadow from the Spring 2013 Color Collection

Two new, limited-edition Écrin 4 Couleurs Long Lasting Eyeshadows ($59) have been introduced with the Spring 2013 Color Collection.
  • #501 Attrape-Coeur, a dazzling palette in which mauve, violet, and white illuminate the prima donna purple (shown below)
  • #502 Coup de Foudre, exquisite shades of green, silvery patina, and bronze-khaki team up with vibrant coral (shown above)
I purchased Coup de Foudre. I cannot resist greens. Attrape-Coeur is very pretty, but unfortunately, lavenders bring out the red in my eyes. The look of recent tears is not a pretty sight. For those who can wear these shades, #501 is going to be a sold-out palette before too long.

The two exciting, colorful new harmonies dress up the eyelids like never before. The four silky powders in each case can be freely mixed and matched, without worrying about applying them in any particular order. [Is that a dig at another company? Probably not. Guerlain is way above that kind of thing, but it did tickle my funny bone]. In a subtle play of light and shadow, of contrast and graduated intensity, each hue has just the right texture and nuance - velvety and delicate, slightly iridescent, or downright metallic - so they can be blended or layered to perfection, creating incomparable radiance under the unique springtime light.

I am thoroughly delighted with Coup de Foudre (#502). Green is one of my favorite colors, and when any makeup line offers me new greens, I jump. When I received Coup de Foudre, I realized how appropriately named it is. The French term is translated as "bolt of lightning" or "love at first sight." How did they know?

I took swatch photos in full, morning sun to show you how gorgeous these four shades will be on your eyelids. I swatched with a sponge-tipped applicator, as I usually do - in this case heavily, but not markedly so. I started at the top left and swatched clockwise.

I nearly hyperventilated when I saw the colors. Quick, get me a vat of the shimmering bronze-hued khaki shade at the top. (Please, Guerlain. Let's talk. There must be something I could do in trade. Edit press releases? Sell makeup?) I think that shade may be one of the prettiest greens I own. Think it looks good on my arm? You should see it on my eyelids!

The coral is a bit strange. It reminds me of the beautiful blush in Chantecaille's Tiger in the Wild, which is my everyday go-to palette. After playing with this palette, I can see that I'll have two uses for it: 1) applied ever-so-lightly as a base shade on the lid below the crease (it looks stunning with the greens), or 2) using it as a blush. I must use an eyeshadow brush that deposits a minimum amount of coral pigment on my lids.

The deep-dark green looks green in bright lighting or a green-hued charcoal in darker settings. It will serve as the perfect liner with these shades or, if applied properly, as an accent shade. If you want to add drama at night, use it as your primary color for a smoky eye. You will attract admiring glances, I'm sure.

The spring-like shimmering, silvery mint green is beauticious (I looked it up; it means viciously beautiful). That sums it up. Combining it with the dark shade above it on my arm yields a very pretty "I'm special" look.

I'm so excited about Coup de Foudre, I'd love to have another one. However, I've spent so much on beauty products this fall, I would have to hit the street corner with a cup and a sign that would read something like, "Help a makeup addict maintain her addiction." While that might draw a few chuckles, I doubt it would raise much money.

I purchased my Guerlain Spring 2013 Color Collection items from the Guerlain Boutique in Las Vegas, and I highly recommend them for extraordinary service. Beauty Advisor Rhonda Hethcoat at the boutique has earned my loyalty. Give her a call at (702) 732-7008 if any of the spring collection interests you. How could it not?

Photos at top courtesy of Guerlain; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

27 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW WOW WOW! That is BEAUTIFUL!

Eileen said...

Although I cannot wear a palette like Coup de Foudre, I can certainly admire its beauty, and despite the fact that I knew I wouldn't be purchasing it, I couldn't resist swatching the colors just to see them glow against my skin. They are stunning! For those of you who can wear these colors, run--don't walk--to your nearest Guerlain counter to check them out. They'll be perfect come spring.

By the way, several of you were interested in the blusher. It is called Sakura and is an Asian exclusive. It's fashioned after the Blush G Série Noir from Guerlain's Spring 2011 only it is in a white case and contains lighter shades of pink. It's pretty, but given the recent release of the new blush duos, it seems a bit redundant.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi PP,

It is. I can't find enough superlatives to apply to this gorgeous palette.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Ditto on the Asia exclusive. They hold such allure for U.S. customers, but in this case, it is redundant.

Sure you can't wear these greens? :)

Biz Morris Haselwandter said...

Oh, I love that. Gorgeous. The coral is a strange addition but seems like a challenge...how to make it work with the rest? Only one way to find out!

Virginie said...

GOR-GIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clarisse said...

Hi Charlestongirl
I agree with you, it's love at 1rst sight!The Coup de Foudre will be mine next Spring, I can't resist such gorgeous colors! Even the orange will be amazing when played with the green (under/on top, it will look stunning!)
By the way, I was told yesterday by a Frederic Malle Editions de parfums salesman that the lily of the valley perfume has been an invention, they never planned such a fragrance..! However, they will launch a new one in February which I should love, he told me (he knows my tastes!) so I'll wait for it and keep you posted:-)

Charlestongirl said...

That's right, Biz! Go try it out.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Virginie,

That's a good one!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Clarisse!

If that Malle was a rumor, it was well circulated. I suspect it was planned at some point, but he ran into problems, and no one wants to admit it. Rumors like that aren't spread from the mouths of FM representatives. :) Thank you very much for the info!

Lulle said...

It is stunning! I'm not sure how I could use the coral though... I might need to go to a counter and try to play with it.

Charlestongirl said...

Lulle, try it whisper light. It works!

onegreatsmile said...

That minty green shade? To die for! Too bad the coral isn't a little less pigmented - I know that's an odd complaint given how many gorgeous shades have poor pay-off for their price points, but having to work so hard to get it to play well with the other colors in the group is a crying shame.

Sara_BeauTime said...

I want them both so bad, I hope they don't come soon to Germany because in this case I might have to steal your idea of cup and a sign and hit the streets as I spent so much during the holiday season.

angusmum1 said...

As I said yesterday I hoped it would be this palette that you chose of the two. I think it is awesome and has beautiful colours but not like anything else, it is unique. I hope I have an opportunity to see it and maybe purchase as I have said before rural Canadian, sometimes a trick to get Dior Armani etc. Now I have sen it I want it somehow!!!
















































































































































angusmum1 said...

As I aid yesterday when u said u would be getting one of the eye palettes I hoped it would be this one, such stunning colours, not something you see all the time. I love the unique shades and the fact that it is different from anything I have. Hopefully I can get it, now that Ive seen this I REALLY want it. As a rurAL Canadian it can be a challenge to get things sometimes I have to track down Dior or Armani, not sure I have heard of this brand but dont believe I have ever tried it. I so want to see and likely buy this ahh!!

Lucia said...

I love coup de foudre, I am in love with coral/orange/copper shadows. Besides I only own one thing from Guerlain, the Pucci blush from last summer (you made me buy it Charlestongirl! and I love it).
Do you think these shadows are already at the counters????? I am curious to travel an hour to go and see it by myself, I don't own greens either. I have hazel eyes and tan-medium (olive) skin color, do you think they will look good?
Thanks for the wonderful review,
Lucia

Anne said...

The Coup de foudre palette looks absolutely fantastic (thank you so much for the swatches!). It's exactly my kind of colours, but I don't think I've got something like that in my stash already! I can see it being very flattering. Shame it's limited edition though, my wallet's going to cry.

Also, I think it's the first time I comment on your blog, but I wanted to say that I really like it. Among the sea of beauty blogs, yours is one of the few that stand out for me.

Anonymous said...

Which of the blush duos would substitute for the Sakura Blush G?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Onegreatsmile,

Play with it. It's not quite as forbidding as you might expect.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Sara,

We can put a note on Twitter to look for you at the corner of x and y. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous,

I have absolutely no idea since I have no chance to test it. There is a photo here: http://twitpic.com/bnn2cq.

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Anne. This comment came through on e-mail, but not here. Go figure.

"The Coup de foudre palette looks absolutely fantastic (thank you so much for the swatches!). It's exactly my kind of colours, but I don't think I've got something like that in my stash already! I can see it being very flattering. Shame it's limited edition though, my wallet's going to cry.

Also, I think it's the first time I comment on your blog, but I wanted to say that I really like it. Among the sea of beauty blogs, yours is one of the few that stand out for me."

Anonymous said...

Ah, ok...I only asked since you said Sakura was redundant because of the duos?

lovethescents said...

Oh my, these are gorgeous. I'd like to think I could wear them all...hmmm. When they become available, I think it's only fair I let the SA tried them on me :-)

STUNNING swatches, as usual.

lovethescents said...

Hmmmm, blogger seems to be lunching on my comments. I'll try again.

I love the look of both palettes. Once they become available, I think I'll have no other choice then to go to the Guerlain counter and have them try them on me. I owe it to my makeup-loving self! Hahha!

Til then, I'll spritz on some REAL Attrape Coeur.

Thanks for the beautiful swatches, Charlestongirl!

Unknown said...

Lovley review! I have the Attrape-Coeur palette and LOVE it! I don't know if I can pull off the Coup de Foudre, but I'm interested after your review. The coral definitely throws me off, but I'm also quite drawn to it. Anyway, thanks for the review. Cheers! :)