Friday, December 14, 2012

The Friday Forum - December 14 Plus the New Le Métier de Beauté Lip Envy by Tina West Kaleidoscope Eye Kit

The occasion? Last night, Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie hosted a special event to introduce Dr. Tina West and the new Le Métier de Beauté Lip Envy by Tina West Kaleidoscope Eye Kit (95), with Le Métier de Beauté generously donating a percent of yesterday's sales to THEARC. THEARC is a non-profit organization that has its hands in many good causes, including an organic garden, farmer's market, and a 365-seat, state-of-the-art community theater.

I came home with the new Tina West Kaleidoscope - of course - and I will get swatch photos for you today.  The photo of the tester above was taken in the store last night.

The program started with an informative presentation by Dr. West on cosmetic procedures. I fear I caught her mid-blink as I snapped this photo. She looked fabulous in her trendy navy leather dress. It's so much more friendly than a white coat!

The audience was rapt as she talked about the most popular procedures, e.g., botox and fillers, but also as she introduced us to new procedures that can prevent skin cancer, firm skin, and take years off our appearance - all without the major surgery or ugly recovery periods we normally associate with cosmetic dermatology procedures. I'm seriously interested in a consultation. If you are too, you can find Dr. West in Chevy Chase at (301) 986-9378.

We also had the privilege to be joined by Jerry Mastellon, one of Le Métier de Beauté's three founders. I enjoyed having a chance to catch up with Jerry. I'll bet it's been over a year since I last saw him - at a Nordstrom Trend Show. I remember where, just not the date.

The beautiful new Lip Envy Kaleidocsope? Designed by Michael Reinhardt, in consultation with Dr. West, it's a stunner. There's one waiting for you at Neiman Marcus Mazza. Just call Michael Reinhardt at (202) 966-9700, extension 2258 or 2236, to place your order.

Thanks to Neiman Marcus Mazza's glamorous models, I am now lusting for a few holiday fashions. Every time I see these two glamazons, I end up buying something. This time, I'm thinking it will be those slim, high-waisted Akris trousers with the satin finish.

Now you know what I've been up to. Let's talk about your week of beauty. It's time for the Friday Forum, our open chat. I love this part of our week. Have you selected your favorite holiday collection - and purchased a few new treasures? What new products did you discover this week? Did you find any deals you couldn't resist? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By early the next week, most (not all) readers will have moved on.

Here are a few tidbits for you.
  • The Chantecaille Friends & Family sale ends today. Everything I'd like to have has sold out, so I fear I will miss this fabulous opportunity to stock up on one of my very favorite makeup and skin-care brands. I wish I had known it was coming. I would have purchased one of everything.
  • The Guerlain Spring 2013 collection has, as always, some gorgeous colors. Even though I had already ordered them directly from Guerlain, I purchased seconds of the Shine Automatiques. They are exquisite.
  • Chanel's 2013 Spring collection is now arriving at Chanel counters everywhere. Here's a  quickly snapped photo of part of it at Neiman Marcus.
Don't forget this week's giveaway contest. The deadline to enter to win the NARS Multiple Duo in Orgasm and South Beach is tomorrow, Saturday, December 15, at midnight. It's a beauty.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

16 comments:

Nemo said...

No offense to Dr. West, but a woman her age should not be wearing a sleeveless dress, and most certainly, not a leather dress. She looks ridiculous and cheap. It diminishes her professionalism. I am turned off absolutely by any professional who dresses like a bopper in order to look cool or young or whatever they think they are doing, all to bring in the bucks. It is not class, it is trash.

Charlestongirl said...

Well, Nemo, you had to be there, I guess. I thought she looked lovely. I would have killed for that dress.

What's the deal with sleeveless? Michelle Obama has made it the current trend. Women with nice arms can show their arms! Plus, Dr. West had been invited to a fashion and beauty event. She fit right in.

Rosemary said...

Hi CG,

I'm still on my beauty ban (sobs). Today is my birthday, and last night my son took me out to a lovely dinner and told me I was the best looking woman in the room with the best makeup. :) Isn't he sweet? Naturally I had on the Chanel holiday colors. Then we went driving around looking at Christmas lights. This morning, he fixed my breakfast while I reclined on the sofa! Then he presented me with a bottle of Dior's Lady from the Grand Bal collection. Needless to say, I'll be giving myself a manicure today. :)

Have a wonderful weekend. Those satin-finished pants would look beautiful on you. Go for it!

Rosemary

Nina said...

Yikes! I think Dr. West looks amazing! The dress is beautiful and perfect for the occasion. I think anyone of any age can wear just about anything and I am thrilled that Michelle Obama has encouraged such style among American women - finally! Happy Friday CG!

Eileen said...

Good morning ladies,

If anything, I actually think it would have looked pretentious had Dr. West worn medical garb to the event. After all, none of the attendees were there in her office for a consultation or procedure; everyone was there for an evening of fun and fashion, a component of which was the subject of esthetic procedures. Just because Dr. West is in the medical profession doesn't exclude her from having fun with fashion. So, her arms weren't the greatest. Look around. Very few women have beautifully toned and sculpted arms--and age has little to do with it. I've seen arms much worse than Dr. West's on much younger women. Personally, I'd never wear a leather dress because leather has an unfortunate tendency to bunch and reflect light on every lump and bump. But, all considered, I think Dr. West looks stylish, approachable, and perfectly dressed for the beauty event.

I went to see Chanel's spring display and only bought the Poudre Signée de Chanel. There were some really lovely pieces, but I felt like I pretty much had everything already covered. I'm really ready for a change and Chanel didn't quite deliver that in their early spring collection. Perhaps, Chanel decided to hold back, keep us in neutrals, and then hit us with the more colorful summer collection. In any event, I think Chanel's highlighter is definitely the star of the collection. It is so very beautiful. It's not razzel-dazzel. It just gives a light and believable glow that is perfect for daytime wear. It makes winter's paler radiant :-)

Speaking of highlighters, I took advantage of Chantecaille's F&F and bought the beautiful Rose Petals highlighting powder and a couple of glosses--Mirth and Charisma. Chantecaille's sale was quite a surprise.

Hi Rosemary,

Your son sounds like a super thoughtful guy. Happy Birthday!

And a very happy weekend to everyone else.

Eileen said...

Oops! That should have been winter's pallor; not paler. Dang autofill! :-P

Jo said...

Hi CG, thanks for the picture of the Tina West Kaledioscope. Mine is on the way to me. Michael described it as nudes and berry and his description fits your photo. He assured me that none of the colors are dupes. I'm looking forward to seeing your swatches. I received my Bauhaus eye kaledioscope this week and love it. The Bauhaus lip kaledioscope is on its way to me too. I'm so excited to have TWO new lip kaledioscopes to play with.

Have a nice weekend everyone. I'm sick to death over those children being killed in Connecticut this morning so I think that will put a damper on everyone's weekend. We seriously need some strong gun control laws in this country. People like that should not be allowed to buy guns.

Evelyn said...

I'm going to agree with with Charlestongirl and Eileen, I think she looks quite good in the dress and I see nothing wrong with it or wearing it at her age. I think she looked sleek, very well put together. If she were wearing hot pants, then I'd worry. :)

I'm not ready for spring, I'm exhausted from the holidays. lol Quite frankly my wallet is tired and is refusing to disgorge its contents anymore. Although I did finally buy the Chantecaille elephant palette with the discount. I wasn't 100% behind the colors but decided to make the leap and try something different.

Now to pay the bills. lol

Have a fun weekend!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Rosemary,

You raised a sweetie son. Happy Birthday!

I want those trousers, but, like you, I'm having to put my wallet on a diet.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Nina!

I think she looks great too. I was even more impressed to learn about new procedures with no down time. Filler may be in my future. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Leather is hard to wear. Here's was draped - and absolutely perfect on her.

There is another Chanel collection coming for spring, as you know. Wild and crazy colors. Perhaps this was their bow to reality. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Jo, I will put up the swatches tomorrow. It is FABULOUS.

I have watched the news with great sadness. With what has happened in the U.S. over the last 10 years, how could any parent send a kid to school and not know they are safe? It's absolutely heartbreaking. I cried along with the President.

Charlestongirl said...

Oh Evelyn,

Paying bills is my next-least hated activity. Taking out the trash is #1.

We do have many more collections to consider than we used to have. I must learn to be more selective, which may mean the demise of BTiB.

Anonymous said...

While on vacation in Florida, I bought a Nars gel eyeliner in Via Appia, a Laura Mercier lipstick (Antique Rose) and a Le Métier de Beaute lipstick in Plam Beach.

I am new to Mercier and Le Métier and feel a lipstick is a good way to try a line. Especially since I am a lipstick fan.

Yes, I walked away from the Le Métier without buying a kaleIdoscope. The SA did apply an eye kit, but I wasn't convinced it suited me.


Anonymous said...

Hi CG. My least favorite activity must be exercise and I have the body and arms to prove it. I loved this post, new LMdB stuff is always so exciting. I can't wait for your swatches! Something tells me I'll be $95 poorer after I see them.

bisbee said...

I think Dr. West looks great! One doesn't have to have perfect arms to wear sleeveless - hers aren't perfect but they certainly are good enough for sleeveless dresses!