Monday, February 4, 2013

By Terry Hyaluronic Sheer Rouge Lipstick

Wow! When By Terry sent this preview of their new Hyaluronic Sheer Rouge ($35) lipsticks, I drooled. I love By Terry, and the use of the word "sheer" sent me into "can't wait" mode. I had to wait no longer when I called the SPACE.NK manager at Bloomingdale's and found that the lipsticks had arrived. I drove over with the intention of purchasing three to try. I came home with five. Think I liked them?

There are ten shades available. From left to right in the photo above, they are #1 Nudissimo, #2 Mango Tango, #3 Baby Bloom, #4 Princess in Rose, and #5 Dragon Pink. I saw already in trouble. I loved all of these.

Then I started playing with the darker shades. From left to right in the photo above, they are #6 Party Girl, #7 Bang Bang, #8 Hot Spot, #9 Dare to Bare, and #10 Berry Boom. The love grew.

I ended up selecting #1 Nudissimo, #3 Baby Bloom, #5 Dragon Pink, #8 Hot Spot, and #9, Dare to Bare. I wanted a cross section of shades and intensities.

I had to take my swatch photos in freezing wind. I swatched rather messily, and ran outside without my coat to get photos. My photos of the tubes themselves were total failures because they rolled all over the place before I could snap. It was that bad outside. I am almost ashamed to show you the photo below. I had to give up on getting the tubes lined up evenly. They were moving!

The tubes are shown in numeric order. As listed above, they are, from left to right, #1 Nudissimo, #3 Baby Bloom, #5 Dragon Pink, #8 Hot Spot, and #9, Dare to Bare. My swatch photos, taken in full sun, are shown in the same order, top to bottom on my freezing arm.

Nudissimo is a beautiful light, warm pink. It's not really nude. Baby Bloom is a soft, cool pink. I think it's beautiful. Dragon Pink is a bright blue pink. It certainly makes my blue eyes pop. It's not a shade everyone can wear, but fortunately, there are 10 shades from which to choose - and you will want to choose.

Hot Spot, a coral shade, is a departure for me, but I wanted one of the peaches, and I loved it. My absolutely favorite among favorites is Dare to Bare. It's my typical love: brown rose. It's so flattering.

I would categorize By Terry's Hyaluronic Sheer Rouge Lipsticks as semi-sheer. They provide a lot more pigment than many lipsticks called "sheer." They are slightly shiny - enough to give them life, but not sparkling. They feel ultra-creamy on the lips, and the hydration and color last nicely. Thumbs up to By Terry!

I purchased mine at the SPACE.NK in Bloomingdale's at Tysons Corner Center. I see online that they are available at SPACE.NK, Barneys New York, and b~glowing.com. I know By Terry has a Web site too.

Photos at top courtesy of By Terry; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

20 comments:

Sam said...

Beautiful swatches--despite the freezing cold conditions you took them in! Thanks for braving the frost for us. :)

For some reason your description of these made me think of Chantecaille lip chics. Are the By Terry sheer lippies similar to the lip chics, or am I getting it totally wrong? Thanks for your help.

Eileen said...

You made a gorgeous selection. These are really pretty colors; especially that Nudissimo. So often colors described as nude are way too beige for me and make me look washed out. Nudissimo appears to have a good dollop of rose which makes it eminently appealing. I rarely order a product without actually seeing it in real life--very rarely--but I might make an exception for this one :-)

Elizabeth said...

These look lovely! I'm so eager to try something from By Terry but the price point always made me wary. These aren't so bad, though, so maybe I'll give them a shot. Do they compare at all to Lip Chics?

Elizabeth said...

Ha, sorry for the repeat question. For whatever reason, Sam's comment wasn't showing up when I posted.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Sam!

Thanks.

They are similar to Chantecaille's Lip Chics.

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen,

All of the colors are pretty, but I sure couldn't buy 10! Nudissimo does look light rose pink on the lips. Your lip pigment will, of course, affect how light it looks. On my, it is nicely light and will work when any nude lip is appropriate. Thankfully, it's not too light - ghastly or white light. I think you will like it.

When I saw the name, I almost skipped it. I'm glad I tried it in the store.

As you know, I blind buy a lot, winning some, losing some. I think anyone could blind buy a few of these and be happy.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Elizabeth!

Yes, they are like Lip Chics. The price is on the high end, unless you could Tom Ford. Then they are downright inexpensive.

Anonymous said...

These are all very beautiful colors! They'd be perfect for spring. I love how many variations of pink there are too! It'd be hard choosing just one!

Walls said...

Thanks for braving the winter chill to take these shots for your loyal readers! I'm going to pick up Dare to Bare and perhaps Nudissimo. Stay warm. Is Charlie feeling better?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi PaintedLady!

The ARE indeed beautiful. I'd love to have the whole collection!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Walls, I nearly died that day. I have never been so cold swatching.

Charlie seems to be better. He started his new antibiotic Friday evening. I hope the improvement continues. He is eating better too. Thanks!

Lost Little Ninja said...

Oh CG, here's a cup of steaming hot tea to warm you up. Your dedication astounds me.

Like Sam and Elizabeth, I immediately thought of the Chantecaille Lip Chics.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi BusterBoo,

That was one cold day. I was sure I was crazy.

angusmum1 said...

I havent heard of the brand in Canada but im not in an urban area either. I really like the look of these, its so helpful to see the clours when you do such great swatching, natural light etc. If companies went to the trouble they would have much more accurate info for customers. Someone else mentioned they usually dont purchase without seeing and I am the same but I feel I could with many of your posts as a guide. I like them all but esp Dragon Pink and Hotspot look like I WANT THEM so if any Canadians are aware, please post I will look into it as well. Thanks so much

Dlori said...

I have 2 questions, one on point with this review another, on a product soon to be released.With these lipsticks, I love the second and third colors on your arm, Baby Boom and Dragon Pink. Which one would you suggest for a fair skinned, red head with green eyes. I'm leaning toward the Dragon Pink because these lip sticks are sheer but do you think it would be too bright, better suited for someone in their 20's or 30's?

My other question has to do with the Le Metier palette you posted recently with about 18 or so eyeshadows in it. I'm sure you already have your palette but I believe they go on sale this week. I spoke with Romy at Bergdorf's (I miss Dustin) and Romy said each eye shadow was very small, about the size of a dime, which is what I thought it would be. I didn't hear a whole lot of enthusiasm in her tone when we discussed the palette which caught me a bit off guard. Although $95 for a Le Metier palette for so many beautiful colors seems like a steal, I'm not sure it's worth buying it since you're not getting much of each shadow, just a sampling if you will. If you've seen the palette in person, can you please give your opinion on purchasing this palette and if you think it's worth the price based on the amount of product given.

Thanks much. By theway, isn't your birthday coming up soon?

Dlori
kleimanlaw at aol dot com

Makeup Remastered said...

Not very intellectual- but all I can say is "Hubba hubba"

Need 1,2 or 6 of these

Charlestongirl said...

Hi angusmum1!

I hope you can find them. Thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

Dlori, you have red hair? I don't think you would like Dragon Pink. I don't think it's an age thing - but it is bright.

The LMdB shades are prior Kaleidoscope shades. They are very small (dime or nickel). The palette has not reached my local counter, but it should soon. I'm very excited about it!

Nope, thanks. Birthday was last fall. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Makeup Remastered,

That works. :)

megan said...

Hi Charleston Girl!

I know you are very busy but I would love to know if you think Hot Spot would work for a fair redhead. Thank you so much!