Thursday, February 28, 2013

Estée Lauder Pure Color Illuminating Powder Gelée in Heat Wave from the Bronze Goddess Collection for Summer 2013

 
Estée Lauder's Bronze Goddess Collection is arriving at stores. I purchased part of the collection yesterday at Neiman Marcus, just a few hours after it had arrived. The limited-edition Pure Color Illuminating Powder Gelée in Heat Wave ($40) was the piece that had given me palpitations when I first saw the press photos. Now I can report that it has met my expectations.

I love every Illuminating Powder Gelée that Estée Lauder has introduced, and I'm thrilled to add to my growing collection. This one will enhance your Bronze Goddess look. Defying expectations - perhaps from the name of the collection and history with prior collections - Heat Wave will illuminate your complexion and leave your skin with a sexy, polished glow. With blendable and buildable coverage for a finish that goes from subtle and soft to highly pearlized, this ultra-luxurious gelée features a delicate pattern to celebrate the sand and sun of summer. Just looking at it makes me think of summer.

Remember Shimmering Sands, the Pure Color Illuminating Powder Gelée from Summer 2012?  The shining bronze shade has a similar pattern, but blended copper, rose, and gold for a bronzed look that's stunning. I still have mine - love it. Heat Wave is much more subtle. It's gold through and through. I think the swatch photos will convince you that it has serious pizazz.

In person, Heat Wave is gold, not rose gold as it appears in my photos directly above, and not beige as it appears in Estée Lauder's photo at the top of this feature. I took my photo with high clouds, and I'm wondering if the sky dulled the color. You can see how milky the sky looked in the mirror of the compact. The photo is definitely a little dark, but I didn't want to artificially lighten it.

My swatch photos are color-true. I applied the swatch with Heat Wave's own sponge applicator. I built the color to get some contrast with my pale arm.

Heat Wave is all gold. It produces a high-wattage gold when you build the color, as I did for these photos, or a subtle gold if you use a light hand on application. It shakes, shines, and shimmers and will rock your summer look. It's not a shrinking violet, but don't let that scare you. The color is gorgeous. It's a perfect illuminator.

You can see that it's sheer (even after I built up the color), so your own skin tone will affect how it looks on you. Mine adds a touch of pink that was visible in photos I decided not to publish because they might be misleading. Someone with olive-toned skin will get a subtly different effect.

I'm trilled with Heat Wave!  It and the Pure Color Five Color Eyeshadow Palette in Batik Sun are going to delight you. The collection embodies the golden sands, flourishing palm trees, and exotic elements of a remote Caribbean paradise. Heat Wave is the perfect complement to the hot colors in the color story. I have more to show you - as soon as I can get the sun back.

For now, the Bronze Goddess Collection will be filtering into the stores over the next few days. It's available online at Macy's. I don't see it at EsteeLauder.com or NeimanMarcus.com, but it should be availalble at those sites - as well as at Nordstrom online - shortly. If you would like to order it now, during the Neiman Marcus Beauty Event, call Marilyn Schubert at (703) 761-1600, extension 3286.

Photo at top courtesy of Estée Lauder; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

19 comments:

Evelyn said...

oo How tempting! I'm going to have to see this in person though. I liked Shimmering Sands online but when I swatched it in person it actually looked more orange brown against my skin. Gold though may work better. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Evelyn!

I really like this. Shimmering Sands was dark on me too. I had to apply it with a very light hand. This one is divine.

Anonymous said...

pretty!

LilyBiscuit said...

I'm fair too so this is a must have for me now :) I can't wait to buy it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing with us CG! How would you compare this to the Illuminating Gelee in Modern Mercury from Fall 2011?

My Makeup Paradise said...

Now I cannot decide...I have a light-medium, olive skintone-this, or the NM exclusive Dior highlighter? Which would you recommend?

Ginny said...

Thanks for the swatch photo! I think I'll order this and the eyeshadow from the collection.

natassha68 said...

How does this compare to Guerlian sun in the city would you say?

Charlestongirl said...

Very pretty, Alyssa! EL does it again!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi LilyBiscuit,

It should be easy to find for awhile.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Anonymous,

Here is my post on that: http://bestthingsinbeauty.blogspot.com/2011/07/estee-lauder-pure-color-illuminating.html

Modern Mercury is a different shade. It's a rose or peachy gold. This one is pure gold.

Meredith said...

Oh no, not another gorgeous highlighter! How can one ever decide when so many are so pretty such as the Dior Nude powder, this Estee one, Chanel's Signee and on! Wish I could have them all but will have to make decisions. This one looks like a real beauty though.

Charlestongirl said...

My Makeup Paradise,

This one for you, IMHO.

Charlestongirl said...

Ginny, with any luck I will post the eye shadow swatches tomorrow. Gorgeous!

Charlestongirl said...

Natassha,

Color-wise, it is relatively similar.

http://bestthingsinbeauty.blogspot.com/2012/02/guerlain-terracotta-sun-in-city-golden.html

The formula is totally different.

Charlestongirl said...

I know, Meredith. Despite my resolution to stop buying so many illuminators, I couldn't resist.

Kate said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

I saw that you recommended the Estee Lauder Illuminating powder for My Makeup Paradise, who has olive-toned skin. I have pale skin, very close to your coloring. Would you recommend the EL Illuminator for me, or the Dior one you featured several days ago?

Thanks!
Kate

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Kate,

You will probably get more use out of the Dior one.

Paula said...

Hello Charleston Girl,

Now this is very interesting... I think I'll get this !

would you know how it compares to Benefit's sunbeam which is a golden bronzy illuminator ?