Tuesday, February 5, 2013

TATCHA Ageless Enriching Renewal Cream and Ageless Revitalizing Eye Cream

TATCHA has joined my collection of elite skin care. It makes me feel - and look - so good, I am thrilled to have had the company's help in discovering the secrets of the geishas - known for their baby-smooth skin (referred to as "mochi hada").

My latest adventures have been with the Ageless Enriching Renewal Cream ($185) and the Ageless Revitalizing Eye Cream ($135). I have been testing both products for over a month.

Ageless Enriching Renewal Cream is an intensive cream with serious anti-aging properties. Even the name delighted me when it was delivered to my house. "Ageless" and "enriching" are words that convey to me a cream that I need. I don't want to appear to be aging, and I know my skin needs help - particularly at this time of year when it is at its driest.

The skin is beautified by increased nourishment and purification, resulting in a reduction of age spots, renewed appearance, and radiant glow. The effective formula harnesses proven ingredients that work in harmony to promote microcirculation, preventing and reversing the signs of premature aging.

Microcirculation helps to carry vital nutrients and oxygen to the skin cells, replenishing and nourishing the skin, while also carrying away waste from the cells. The result is a radiant and healthy glow and a guard against signs of premature aging, including loss of elasticity, age spots, and dryness.

Some of the active botanical ingredients of Ageless Enriching Renewal Cream are peony (Paoneia Albiflora Root Extract), sanshishi (Gardenia Jasminoides Fruit Extract),  and yomogi (Artemisia Princeps Leaf Extract). How could these wonderful plants not help my skin? I'm also very impressed by what's not in this cream: mineral oil, synthetic colors, synthetic fragrances, sulfate detergents, parabens, PEGs, PPGs, urea, DEA, TEA, or phthalates. Halleluha!

Ageless Enriching Renewal Cream comes with a pretty gold spoon tied to the top of the jar with a purple ribbon. The presentation is gorgeous. TATCHA says to use it by scooping out a pearl-sized amount of cream with the gold spoon and massaging it gently into the face, neck, and decolletage in upward strokes day and night. I have to admit I always have clean hands when I use it, so I skip the spoon. I also skipped the upward strokes direction. I prefer to use circular motions on my face and neck. I can't explain why, but I'm gentle and it's faster. Bad patient!

When I first started using this cream, I used too much. I saw a tiny amount of white residue on my face after the cream dried, and I wiped it off. That was my signal that more is not better. Because the cream isn't at all heavy, I assumed a little more would be good for my parched skin. Bad assumption! Once I started using the cream properly, with a dose closer to what TATCHA recommends, I never saw the residue again. Duh - I'm supposed to be the beauty maven.

My skin has never looked better. The proof is in a test I did very recently with a new cream that is supposed to transform your skin's texture. It didn't. The rep's reaction? Wow, you must really have good skin! Thank you, TATCHA and Mom.

Ageless Revitalizing Eye Cream doesn't have the little spoon, and I had wished it did. Voila! I took the little spoon from the face cream [insert little smiley face].

This intensive eye cream - suitable for all skin types - promises deep anti-aging properties. Revitalizing Eye Cream nourishes and purifies the skin around the eyes, resulting in a decreased appearance of puffiness, dark circles, and eye spots. The effective formula harnesses proven ingredients that work in harmony to promote microcirculation, preventing and reversing the signs of premature aging.

I love it! I don't have dark circles. I do have one sun spot between my left eye and hairline. I have spoken with my dermatologist about it, asking for a prescription cream to lighten it. He says it's deep and no cream is going to remove it. [I won't bother you with the options now.] Indeed, Revitalizing Eye Cream didn't change it. However, it did brighten the area around my eyes, and it absolutely did reduce puffiness - particularly after I slept on my head (I can get myself into some weird positions while I sleep).

The ingredients are the same as the face cream, but the eye cream has a proprietary HADASEI-3 Bioactive Complex that has to be magical. Just as the face cream includes none of the "bad guys," the eye cream is also free of them.

Both the Ageless Enriching Renewal Cream and the Ageless Revitalizing Eye Cream are perfect for day and night. They absorb quickly and do not interfere with makeup. In fact, they smoothe the way for makeup, making me look fresh and rested and allowing my foundation and eye makeup to glide on.

That' why both of these wonderful skin-care products have earned their way into my elite corner. The containers are large, so they will both last me for several more months. Then, I must replenish them.

You can purchase TATCHA products at their Web site, where shipping is free and samples are provided. Check out this link if you would like to know more about the company. You can also purchase TATCHA skin care at Barneys.

Photos courtesy of TATCHA

18 comments:

Walls said...

I have to say that I've loved everything I've tried from Tatcha. Recently I finished my tube of Armani eye gel, and now I'm on the market for something that will reduce puffiness and dark circles. Even though I'm wrinkle-free, I inherited my father's dark circles. They are not bad, à la Tim Burton film characters, but they need some cover-up on a daily basis, even if it's just a small amount of concealing. Thanks for the review and recommendation, CG! Glad your kitty is feeling better.

Melanie said...

(Irrelevant aside: lately, the e-mail for your blog update and my husband's afternoon e-mail arrive simultaneously -- and I read yours first!)

You have me so curious about TATCHA, CG. I had to restock on my skincare regulars recently (you know how everything runs out at the same time), so I have postponed ordering their sampler -- Chanel summer should be out next month, too. One must prioritize! I will admit, though, that I feel a bit put off by the price of their products. Add the heft shipping that I have to pay to have things sent, and it gets prohibitve. I have been very curious to know how the eye cream performs. I have read that the cream does not provide enough moisture for some. Good to read your review.

Eileen said...

I'm also a die hard Tatcha fan. It represents the best of centuries of traditional skincare wisdom combined with cutting age chemistry all beautifully packaged and presented with customer service par excellence! Everything about Tatcha is elegant, refined, and effective. And, there is none of that silliness about altering your DNA or reprogramming your genes. I must be honest and say that Tatcha's original cream did not offer enough protection for my dry, mature skin and so I was thrilled when they came out with a formula better suited to my needs. I was even more thrilled when I was sent samples of the cream and the eye cream (Thank you, Tatcha!). They are both excellent. Needless to say, I'll be putting in an order for full sized versions.

VancouverChic said...

Hi C-Girl,
I'm so glad you have reviewed more of the Tatcha products. I mentioned in another post how the cleansing oil and the gentle rice powder has worked wonders on my skin. The moisturizers sound amazing. Not certain if I will get this onne or the Moisture Rick Silk cream ... but they will be coming home to me too.

You bad C-Girl ... you gonna get me into sooo much trouble!!!! lol lol Bring it!!!! lol lol
Thanks so much again for your review.
Best Regards,
Joanne

teadivamuse said...

Hi CG,

I tried Thatcha's cleanser and though it removes makeup well as promised, I was disappointed to find alcohol in the ingredients list. Alcohol is a known dehydrating and skin damaging ingredient. Also jar packaging is supposed to lead to oxidation/loss of potency of beneficial ingredients so I'd be curious to know how these creams hold up over time. I'm reluctant to invest that much money for these reasons. I wonder if you have tried BFF that ended up on Gaia's best of 2012 list? For me, it's been truly miraculous and a much more affordable option too. Can't use it around the eyes though!

Melanie said...

Trying to type and eat -- I can't multi-task: I meant "hefty" and that the Moisture Rich Silk Cream has not been enough for some ladies, like Eileen found. Sounds like the Enriching Renewal Cream is a good alternative.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Walls,

Thanks. Charlie was just bugging me. Too early for dinner, so I'm not sure what he wanted.

Dark circles are very hard to tackle. Usually, they are from thin skin that exposes the blood vessels under the eyes. No cream will fix that. However, a brightening cream and a good concealer can camouflage it.

Charlestongirl said...

I'm so glad, Melanie! That's an honor.

If you are in the US, TATCHA shipping is free. If I were you, I'd order their sample pack. See what you think before you invest.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

TATCHA says on their site that this cream is much better for drier, older skin than their original cream. I just love them. As you said, no false nonsense, just the facts.

Charlestongirl said...

Joanne, I get myself into trouble!

If your skin is dry or you are over 50, you might want to get this cream. Check out the reviews on TATCHA's site. Many women commented that this cream is better for them than the original, lighter Moisture Rich Silk Cream.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi teadivamuse,

Alcohol in a cleanser stays on your skin for less than a minute. I wouldn't worry about it. I would worry about it in a product that is supposed to moisturize the skin for hours. Honestly, I have to chuckle when there are claims for cleansers with retinol and other ingredients that cannot absorb at all in a cleanser.

I have never tried Best Face Forward. I would love to try it. Hoping for a money infusion so I can give it a whirl.

Melanie said...

I'm not in the US and Tatcha hasn't released here yet, so shipping is 20$, almost half the price of the sampler. (sighs)

Charlestongirl said...

Melanie,

Only one reaction to that: ARGH!

Eileen said...

Hi Teadivamuse,

In addition to Charlestongirl's response, I'd like to add that not all alcohols are drying and skin damaging. For example, cetyl alcohol is a lubricating fatty alcohol that won't harm the skin. Also, many active ingredients that are good for the skin rely on some form of alcohol as a carrier and aide to penetration. The amount of alcohol; however, is quite small and will not ham the skin. In short, you don't have to automatically rule out a product because there is an alcohol listed in the ingredients. Google the type of alcohol and if it is a so-called bad one, check to see how far down the list of ingredients it appears. If it is further down the list than the fifth ingredient, it is probably in such a small amount that it will not have an adverse effect on the skin. Of course there are, indeed, products that contain quite a bit of drying alcohol. Those are usually poorly formulated products that target acne. Alcohol is a very cheap ingredient.

Eileen said...

Sorry, I obviously meant harm the skin; not ham the skin :-)

Meredith said...

Tatcha is the best! One gets a wonderfully pure and delicately cared for feeling with Tatcha products. I too feel that my skin has never looked better. For once in my life, I have found a line that I can use exclusively. I need nothing else for clean, soft, smooth, dewy skin.

Charlestongirl said...

Ditto, Eileen.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Meredith,

Everyone - all of us - loves TATCHA. Isn't it amazing how quickly they have exploded onto the beauty scene. Kudos to them!