Monday, February 11, 2013

Fashion and Looks at the 2013 Grammy Awards

I watched the red carpet last night, and found most of it snooze-worthy. I didn't know who half the "celebrities" were. The fashions - if I may use that term - ranged from horrendous, to bad, to exceptionally good. Here is my short take.

Katy Perry should let the air out of those balloons. She looks ridiculous most of the time, but last night was an all-time low (or high, if they were filled with helium). Do click on the photo to enlarge it if you want the full effect.

Oh, Adele. Your music is so good, but your fashion sense is abysmal. It doesn't matter that your draperies were converted to body wear by Valentino. That dress should be burned. I'll have more to say about her beautiful face later today.

Janelle Monáe looked very pretty - from the neck up. The matador thing fell flat for me.

Kimbra. Who is Kimbra? Does she work in a traveling circus? Hideous or what? You tell me.

Another atrocity? What was DManti thinking? The get-up above was designed by Claudio Milano. What was he thinking?

Lisa D'Amato projected a life-long love of the big tent at the circus. If you saw the huge tattoo on her back, you would have been even more distressed at the look she chose for the occasion.

I got a great laugh out of Kerli, but was that her intention? There were so many more "worst" looks, I could have a field day - and spend too long on this post - showing you that the music industry is leading the way toward something. What I don't know.

JLo, that look has already been done! I expected so much more from you. While it wasn't ugly, it wasn't pretty either. Not even glamorous. Outside of your leg, there wasn't much to love about this black bag.

Fortunately, there are still some with taste and/or elegance. Rihanna may have had the best look of the night in her glorious red gown by Azzedine Alaia.

Say what you will about Taylor Swift, the singer or the person, I thought she looked like a Grecian goddess.

Justin Timberlake has grown into a handsome gentleman. I thought he looked smashing in his Tom Ford tux.

I am still looking for a photo of the woman who wore the black and white jigsaw puzzle. Until then, were you watching the red carpet? Your thoughts?

P.S. I had to add this photo of Ellen's reaction to Katy Perry's gown. Priceless.

 Photos courtesy of the Huffington Post, Celebuzz, JustJared, and random other sources

19 comments:

Dawn said...

I did not watch the Grammys but whenever I see a picture of Carrie Underwood at these award shows she always looks stunning and elegant.

Charlestongirl said...

Dawn, Carrie is a pretty lady, and yesterday, her performance dress served as a projection screen. Really! It was kind of cool.

She arrived in a black strapless Roberto Cavalli gown that showcased a stunning diamond necklace, reportedly worth 380 carats. Very classy.

Then, she changed for her performance. Check out this link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/02/10/carrie-underwood-lights-up-grammy-stage/1908419/

Kate said...

Kerli
looks like a character from Star Trek TOS
I suppose as a newish singer she needs attention, contrast her with Rhinnna who looks so elegant.

Nemo said...

LOL! Loved your comments. Most of these people I do not know, never heard of. And I like it that way. Looking at Adele's dress, I was reminded to clean my persian carpet.

Unknown said...

Why do these "celebrities" blindly trust their stylists? Don't they have their own sense of style? Don't they have a mirror in which they can see whether what they're wearing is nice or hideous? Or can't they understand the difference between the two?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Kate,

Wasn't that cat look a riot?

Rihanna was, apparently, a bit racy with some nipple show-through, but overall, she looked fabulous. Until she nuzzled with Chris Brown, which was wrong on so many fronts.

Charlestongirl said...

I have no idea Dollie! It's kind of amusing, though. I would never leave home in some of those outfits.

Charlestongirl said...

Nemo,

Or the draperies. I heard the dress praised on Access Hollywood Live at noon. Kit loved it. Billy hated it. Was a hoot.

Eileen said...

Although I loved Adam Levine and Alicia Key's Girl on Fire duet, I was not favorably impressed with Alicia's boob "undercarriage". Every time she lifted her arm, I expected a wardrobe malfunction. Since I'm not a voyeristic young male, I though her dress was trashy rather than sexy. Too bad, because the performance itself was fantastic. Alicia and Adam's vocals really complemented each other.

Charlestongirl said...

Totally agree, Eileen. I thought she looked nice UNTIL she performed. What is the incentive, particularly when you have a voice like hers, to expose your girls? Plus, it was against the dress code!

BTW, I thought Adam looked nice, all cleaned up, tattoos hidden.

Jenn & Nicole (beautykissxo) said...

I too think Rihanna looked the best! I was quite surprised that she decided to take the more "elegant" route!

And haha, I loved that you added that picture of Ellen and Katy! Hilarious!!!

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I'm amazed that I'm going to say this, but I agree that Rihanna looked great. I usually think she looks a bit "confused" in the dress dept. And, glad to see that you're as sick of the "J Lo's Right Leg" thing as I am. Puh-leeeze, can we have some CLASS people??? And Katy Perry, yes, we know you have boobs, OK? got it.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

@Nemo...crack me up!

Paula said...

J Lo looks like she ran out of cloth and ripped an old black curtain in Dracula's house. That matador look.......goes perfectly well with bull's ____ stew. And Adele, oh Adele...... I would love that dress on my doorstep...

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Jenny,

She looked glam. Red is her color!

The photo of Elton John was as fun as Ellen's. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi MamaVal,

Class seems to be a bygone concept.

Charlestongirl said...

Laughing out loud, Paula. Seriously? You would want that fabric anywhere near your house?

Evelyn said...

Who wouldn't react that way to Katy Perry's dress? lol I didn't realize that it was actually meant to be a slit neck and that, well, Katy "filled" it out quite a bit. The slit would have showcased the beautiful bead work on the neckline but in her case it was fighting with all that skin. oh well!

Charlestongirl said...

So true, Evelyn! That bead work was beautiful.