Saturday, March 2, 2013

Stila Color Balm Lipstick

Put "balm" in the name of a lipstick, and I'm there. As soon as I saw Stila's Color Balm Lipsticks ($22), I purchased a few - a few too many. Silly me, in the same week, I ordered a few from Sephora, then forgot I had done that and purchased two at Ulta.

Here is what Stila says about Color Balm Lipstick...

A modern take on traditional lipstick, this creamy lip color provides the full pigment load of a lipstick, yet delivers the nourishing properties of a balm. Featuring a luxe, satin finish, this formula offers excellent color payoff while phyto-derived emollient properties deliver hydrated, healthy lips. Naturally cooling peppermint oil provides a fresh and rejuvenating sensation on the lips, while an exclusive certified organic sunflower-based polyglyceride soothes, smoothes, and adds volume and definition to lips. 

You can read more about them at Stila's Web site. While I was shopping at Ulta, I purchased Evangeline (#10), a dusty rose shown at left above, and Sheri (#19), the cocoa berry shown at right. I did a quick hand swatch to see whether these two colors suited me, and at the time, I was struck by how pigmented these lipsticks were for "balms."

After wearing both of them, I have to report that there is nothing balm-like about them. They are not particularly sheer, and they are not particularly hydrating. They feel and look like regular, highly pigmented lipsticks - pretty lipsticks, but not in the same league with this season's, sheer, shiny, and balm-like beauties. I'm wondering if the name "Color Balm Lipstick" was a marketer's dream. Stila is perfectly upfront in the description about what to expect: a full pigment load and a satin finish. The problem lies with the company's description of the creamy, hydrating properties. Technically, the ingredients may be expected to hydrate, but they don't feel particularly hydrating to me. My lips cry out for a gloss on top of them.

The day I took photos, it was so windy that the lipsticks were rolling every which way. That's why they look a little beat up above. I took my swatch photos in full sun hurriedly, just trying to get back into my warm house.

Evangeline is shown at the top of my arm, with Cocoa Berry below. Aren't these pretty colors? I would be excited about them if I hadn't had the sheer-shine-balm expectation. Had I read Stila's description before I bought, I would have seen that the finish was described as satin (best representation is in the photo below), and I would have known that there would be a peppermint flavor - which does not appeal to me. Stila even says, "Naturally cooling peppermint oil is an emollient-rich botanical that provides excellent antiseptic and astringent benefits with a refreshing tingle that both soothes and stimulates irritated lips." OK, while it annoys the heck out of me.

I have these two, they are very pretty, but that's enough. I didn't need any more "regular" lipsticks, so the ones I ordered from Sephora and never opened will go back. If you want a nice lipstick in a gorgeous color, and you are good with the finish and flavor, definitely check out Stila's Color Balm Lipstick. If, like me, you are loving the new breed of balmy, sheer colors, head over to the Tom Ford counter.

You can purchase Stila's Color Balm Lipsticks at Stila's Web site, Sephora, Ulta, and other online sources.

Photo at top courtesy of Stila; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

19 comments:

Nemo said...

These are lovely, beautiful rich colors. I love them.

Unknown said...

Peppermint oil is irritating to the skin, so why cosmetics companies keep putting it in their products is beyond me, but I guess it tastes and smells good to some people, so they use it. Personally, because I have sensitive skin, I try to stay away from products that irritate the skin.

Charlestongirl said...

They really are pretty, Nemo. Just not me.

Charlestongirl said...

Edith, I know. I really don't understand why lip products with peppermint are so amazingly popular. There's something about that cooling effect people like.

melisand61 said...

I really like those colors and the price is decent. But any flavor or smell (peppermint, chocolate, vanilla) in a makeup product pretty much kills it for me.

Jenny said...

CG--
Although I usually love lip products with peppermint and the like in them--I could not agree with you more. I have two TF Lip Color Shines on the way to me--and am debating about getting a third today. So excited for them to hurry up and get here already!

bedazzled64 said...

Really pretty colors, but after I read about them I also said not for me. I cant stand anything on my lips that make them tingle. No thanks! Exactly why I dont own a thing from Buxom either.

beano54 said...

loving the packaging of this and fab shade

Charlestongirl said...

That's the way I am Melisand61. That's why I won't buy Burberry.

Charlestongirl said...

Just wait, Jenny! You are going to LOVE them.

Charlestongirl said...

Lisa, Color Balm doesn't really make them tingle. It's just that darn smell.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Beano,

The colors are really pretty. If they were sheer, I'd be over the moon.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Wait! What does Burberry put in their lip products? I was about to place an order from Nordstrom and want to make sure I'm not going to have to send it back due to a weird flavor/scent!
I'm really disappointed to hear that these aren't more "balm-like"- was pretty much counting on that part. I love the Tom Ford, but I am still having a problem with coughing up the cash. (not that I'd have a problem with paying a lot of money for anything else by Tom Ford!)

Charlestongirl said...

MamaVal,

Burberry Lipsticks have a very strong perfume odor to my nose and the noses of others.

CrystesMom said...

I think the shades are both really beautiful. But then, for the first time in my life, I have started drifting away from the more muted shades that I have always preferred until now; I am finding that just a little more color on my lips (nothing over the top, tho!) seems to give my face more life as my coloring grows more washed-out with age.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

UGH...to me, there is nothing worse than a perfume odor in lipsticks. It makes me feel like I sprayed my fragrance and accidentally kept my mouth open! Yuck. I used to find that to be true of Chanel. I haven't purchased in quite awhile, but has it changed?

angusmum1 said...

Clarins Rouge Eclat, a true lipstick balm that feels heavenly.\, looks fantastic and has the most beautiful colours. The price is more than the Stila but less than some of the other high end but feels like it is a High end, cant say enough, got a four colour sample, love!

Ruthlessrocks said...

I bought "Gabrielle" and I love the peppermint oil I suppose. The colour is opaque, which I love and I find these long lasting and very hydrating. I got mine at SDM (for Canadians) because they were there before they were in Sephora. I feel that if I am spending money my lip products should be relatively opaque-I have the skills to sheer it out with balm etc

Unknown said...

I know I am late in writing this, but I have to say I absolutely LOVE these!. The pigmentation is like no other I have found- their color mixer must be a genius. I don't think the smell or the tingle from the peppermint oil is overwhelming. The aroma doesn't last long, and I imagine the peppermint oil is actually a slight irritant to "puff" up the lips a bit. Also, as with any pigmented lip color, you can dab these over your Toms lip balm to achieve a transparent look. Your lips are a canvas, people! Play on them, mix colors on them, experiment with different transparencies/ opacities. When you find the right combo, do it again and again. Have fun.