Thursday, April 18, 2013

Chanel Rouge Coco Shine Hydrating Sheer Lipshine from L'Été Papillon de Chanel Collection for Summer 2013 - Swatches

L'Été Papillon de Chanel Collection for Summer 2013 is accompanied by stunning graphics. Characterized by butterfly wings and bright colors, it's a collection that will stop you in your tracks. When I purchased the limited-edition Stylo Eyeshadow Fresh Effect Eyeshadows - pieces I knew in advance I would buy, I was also captured by Rouge Coco Shine in Pygmalion (#467, $34), the darker lipstick shown in the photo directly below. The lighter shade shown is Idylle. Both are limited editions.

I tested both at Neiman Marcus and found Idylle, a soft peach, to be way to light for my tastes. It has the effect of a very sheer peach. I took a photo with my iPhone, but it's gone - literally gone. I have no idea how my phone swallowed it up.

On the other hand, Pygmalion captured my heart - and my wallet - instantly. Although it had a coral look in the tube in the store, it's really a bright warm pink. Chanel calls it raspberry, which has a cool connotation to me.

To extend the Rouge Coco range, the new Rouge Coco Shine Hydrating Lipcolour Lipshines ($34) combine a beautiful sheen with 30% more color pigments than classic Rouge Coco Shine. The Hydratendre Complex softens the lips, providing a plump, healthy, and full appearance.


I took swatch photos in full, early-afternoon sun. I applied Pygmalion directly from the tube and started snapping in front of various green backdrops on my garden. It interests me that minor differences in the lighting produced significant differences in Pygmalion's color. In some photos, a slight coral hue did make an appearance. In others, it looked much like the warm pink my eyes saw or the medium pink that I see on my lips.


No matter how you label Pygmalion's color, it's juicy, delicious, and gorgeous. It provides shine - as you would expect - but it doesn't sparkle wildly. It's a polite shine, glistening with elegance. I think it's creamier and more hydrating than the original formula.


Pygmalion is so spot-on gorgeous for this season and next, I may have to call and ask that a second one be held for me. I can see it becoming my go-to color in the coming months, and since it's a limited edition, it could vanish quickly.

Chanel's L'Été Papillon de Chanel Collection for Summer 2013 just arrived at Neiman Marcus Tysons Galleria, so it should be coming to a store near you very soon. I just checked, and I don't see it at Chanel's Web site yet.

P.S. As with the original formula of Rouge Coco Shine, the shine disappears long before the color.

Photos at top courtesy of Chanel; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

15 comments:

Eileen said...

Actually I think Chanel's raspberry description is a pretty good one although I'd be more inclined to say fresh raspberries. I just bought some yesterday afternoon and Pygmalion seems to have that same combination of red and pink. No matter what name you give to the color, though, it sure is pretty.

lovethescents said...

Oh how pretty!

Soni said...

I am waiting on pins & needles for this collection to make an appearance on the West Coast. The waiting is the worst.... :(
I want a little bit of everything from L'Ete Papillon. Moon River pencil you featured yesterday was drop dead gorgeous! Is the wear time pretty decent? Any smearing/transferring?
Oh my poor wallet...but my happy face.

Melissap1 said...

Is this scented?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen, right...no matter how we describe it, it's darn pretty.

Charlestongirl said...

I thought so, Lovethescents!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Soni,

After wearing one yesterday, I can say it lasts all day, no transfer or smearing. Remember, I use a primer.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Melissa,

Not particularly. It's the same as older Rouge Coco Shines.

wendy said...

hi!!! so, i'm assuming that the "lips" in the promotional ad looking nothing like what the lip products actually look? my chanel sales associate said there will be plenty of coral to choose from. where?? i just see maybe the nail polish. i need your suggestion should i get calypso and en vogue from last year (a few are left, they're the coral lip shades from last year's collection) or wait for this collection? i just don't see coral offered? is that correct? also, do you recommend to put the new glossimers on top of the rouge coco's? although, i thought you swatched them and they were vivid in the container but pretty much clear on application. please let me know. thankyou very much!!!

Charlestongirl said...

You're right, Wendy. There is a coral in the Les Vernis, along with amazing blues (teal too). Not sure there is much else. I highly recommend En Vogue. I adore it and would like to have another. I'm wearing mine out.

Eileen said...

Hi Wendy,

For some reason, in some of the promos the lips look fuchsia (Charlestongirl's) whereas in most of the others they look raspberry (Tavia's at ChicProfile). An over-zalous photoshopper perhaps? :-P In any event, based on the majority of the pics I've seen, I think the model is probably wearing some combination of RC Shine in Pygmalion and Glossimer in Eden (see Tavia's blog for the raspberry version :-) ). There are two other Glossimers and a Shine in the collection that are peachy. Charlestongirl described Idylle as a soft peach; then there are the Glossimers in Envolée (coral/mandarin) and Zéphyr (beige). I'm not sure why your SA thought there'd be plenty of coral in this collection.

AZ said...

I've never been able to find a good Chanel sales associate near me, not sure why. Good news is that the collection is now online :)

Christina said...

In general, I love the shade of peach because it is very flattering, but the raspberry description sound so beautiful and your swatch.

I find in the summer, I do need more intense color on. I really can't wait to see this in my area.

Anonymous said...

Raspberry: what a perfect colour! This is one of those products you keep in your purse. I'm sold! I wouldn't call it raspberry either, but it seems to dance the line between warm and cool which makes it, if possible, that much more attractive to me.

Claire said...

Oh, that shade is so juicy, allright! But that reminds me of Primrose Hill Pink from Burberry. I must check it out nonetheless + the colored mascaras!