Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Tom Ford Summer 2013 Beauty Collection Cream Color for Eyes in Escapade - Up Close and Personal

Finally, I can show you the Tom Ford Summer 2013 Beauty Collection, up close and personal, with fresh photos. As I mentioned when I first featured swatch photos, I had to swatch in the store (minding my manners not to use too much product) and get all of the colors they had received onto my arm. Then I had to drive home to photograph them. That process took a toll on my swatches. Now, thanks to Dustin Lujan at the John Barrett Salon's Tom Ford Boutique, I have my first set of purchased items. If you are wondering what happened to my Saks order, just see my comment in bold here.

With a sorry story behind me, I am thrilled to start a series of swatch photo features taken at my house immediately after applying items from this beautiful collection. Let's take a look at Cream Color for Eyes in Escapade (#06, $40). It is a stunning, shimmery peach that coordinates beautifully with the golden tan collection.

I took my photos in full, mid-day sunshine. I swatched Escapade using a cream concealer brush. I swatched at the top of my arm very heavily - so heavily that I left an unblended oopsie glob in the upper-right corner of the swatch. To show you a more realistic application, I followed with a swatch below - one that's blended as you might apply Escapade in "real life." I wanted to show shimmer phobes that the shimmer is a more like a gleam when the shadow is applied lightly.

I hope you can detect that you can build the color, from a whisper of golden peach to a dramatic kapow. This eye shadow has the texture of a scrumptious soufflé. When you apply it, start with light application and then layer on more if you want bolder color. The layers will not become "crusty."

The white background of the dogwood confused my camera and darkened my arm a bit, but I wanted to show you the photo directly above because it makes the gold in the peach pop.

I adore Escapade and think I'll be using it all summer. It's very pretty on its own - below the crease on me. One could even use it as a highlighter on the eyes or cheeks. Wait until you see the Illuminating Cheek Colors designed for that, though. You are going to flip.

I have not had time to tell you whether this shadow will crease, but based on my experience with other Tom Ford products, I believe it will not. The prices are high, but so is the quality.

As you know if you've been tracking Tom Ford's collection the way kids track Santa Claus with the help of NOAA, Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman are making this collection available this weekend or early next week. The flagship Saks has it for sale, but after my experience with them, I wouldn't recommend you order from them. It was not an isolated experience; it was the second.

If you plan to order and need help, please give Dustin a call. He will help you pick out the best colors for your complexion, based on his incredible eye as a makeup artist. You can reach him at (212) 872-2714. By the time I discovered that Saks had failed, Dustin had received the collection, and he made sure I had it in my hands the day after my purchase. I love that guy.

P.S. Sorry for my earlier typos. I was too excited to type.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

35 comments:

Eileen said...

I just received my Escapade and Haz this morning and was so excited I ran upstairs to remove my makeup so that I could play with these two beauties. I am head-over-heels in love! Haz is really pink, but it is a warm, burnished pink. There is nothing Barbie or bubble gum about it. I used Escapade on the inner half and Haz on the outer half of the lid. Where the two overlap in the center, it creates a sumptuous rose gold. From peach to rose gold to burnished pink--stunning!

Jenny said...

I got both of my Cream Colors a few days ago and was absolutely floored. I'm not a cream eye shadow girl at all--but these are stunning. Anyone that doubts the brilliance of TF--needs to try these.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, that colour is stunning! I really wish this line was available here in Canada. Thanks for the timely review x Hanna

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Do you know how it compares to Chanel's Illusion D'Ombre "Emerveille?" A little more peachy, perhsps?

Charlestongirl said...

Ava, you have a sharp eye. Very similar. See swatches at http://bestthingsinbeauty.blogspot.com/2011/06/chanel-illusion-dombre-paupieres.html.

Charlestongirl said...

Anonymous, I am checking with Dustin to see if they can ship to Canada. Stay tuned.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey Jenny,

I'd love to have the pink one, but money is very tight right now. Still no job here.

Charlestongirl said...

Ooh, Eileen, that sounds enticing. I think I need to go to the store and beg for a sample of Pink Haze. I'll take my own jar.

Eileen said...

Hi Ava,

I'd say Escapade is more of a golden peach. The actual finish is also quite different. Escapade has a slick, metallic gleam to it and looks lighter than Emerville. Escapade has a glistening "wet" look to it that is very modern.

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, you must have pulled yours out. I have no free time, but even if I wanted to do a comparison today, the hunt for Chanel, scattered all over my house, would exhaust me.

Some day, I may get organized. May.

Deb said...

Hi CG. Do you happen to know if Escapade is the color the model in the promo photos is wearing on her eyes? My eyes are exactly the same color as hers and in that promo picture, the shadow is stunning with the blue eyes. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi CG,
Thanks for all your timely info! I am definitely ordering the Guilt cheek color. Will splurge for a second item - pls help me decide.
(Note: I just bought a Chantecaille powder bronzer.) Should I get lip gloss,
bronzer, or illuminator? Do I need both cheek sticks? I have not bought any TF cosmetics before - seemed too pricey, but your pictures & descriptions are too enticing - I'm in!

Anonymous said...

Isn't Tom Ford made by Estée Lauder? Don't get the hype.

Eileen said...

Hi Anonymous@4:02,

Yes, Tom Ford is part of the Estée Lauder empire. That's very common in the cosmetic industry. It is so expensive to create, package, and market a cosmetic line that almost every one of them out there is owned by a larger parent corporation. It doesn't mean that all the products from the various different brands within Estee Lauder are the same; however. There are different esthetics, marketing images, target demographics, overall quality, manufacturing specs, etc. that all come into play when branding and marketing an item. Not everyone is going to be drawn towards, appreciate, or want every line that is released. That's to be expected. It's no big deal.

Eileen said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

I bet looking for older products in your home would be like going on a treasure hunt! :-)

Nida Moughal said...

Beautiful colour perfect for summer n to use as highlighter. Too expensive.

Anahita said...

Ooh. That looks awesome. I too placed my order with Dustin yesterday. I can't wait to receive my package. Hopefully, I won't have to wait too long. On a totally unrelated note, Saks Houston just got the new Dolce and Gabbana collection. It consists of a smoky quad with a bronze, gray, taupe and a pinky pearl. There's a graphite liner, a soft pinky lipstick and a couple of polishes. It looks beautiful.

Charlestongirl said...

Yowsers, look at all these comments. I was so busy today, I managed to post, but forgot to eat. I'll be thin and trim, right?

Anonymous said...

Oh yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad I grabbed both of these. They should be here tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm OTT ridiculously excited

Charlestongirl said...

Deb, I don't know. I can't even find a responsive TF PR person. Anyone here know?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi 3:54!

Hard decision. The cheek sticks are very different from each other. However, the liquid illuminator is amazing. Sorry, I'm not much help.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi 4:02, I agree with Eileen.

Plus, this is one of the most tightly edited collections I've seen in a long time. Everything coordinates well. Many companies just throw out a smattering of stuff each season, hoping that there will be something for everyone.

Also, yes, you are paying for his name. For this particular collection, I think the overall quality matches the price.

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen,

I could appropriately be called a makeup hoarder.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Nida,

See above. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anahita,

I saw photos of that collection, but didn't get revved. Too bad it can't be seen in person in DC.

Charlestongirl said...

Wwendalynne, tomorrow will be a very good day. :)

Dawn said...

Gorgeous! I can imagine how gorgeous that's going to look with your coloring. Wow. Did you also order the pink cream eyeshadow? I need to see swatches before I decide which color will work best for me. :) I usually can't wear pink eyeshadow but I saw the pink described as a pink bronze so I'm intrigued.

Wasn't Dustin at the D&G counter recently or am I completely confused? LOL

Thanks again CG, I can't wait to see the rest of your order. I'm waiting to order til I see it all! :)

Dawn said...

I guess I should have read the comments before posting! I see that you did not order the pink e/s. I hope someone posts a swatch soon. I hate making decisions! LOL

Lori said...

I received both of the eyeshadow colors today from Saks online. They are gorgeous! They were all over the inside of the lid of the pot, as there is no inside cover over the product. I was disappointed that they arrived like this. This is my first Tom Ford purchase (thank you CG)! Has anyone else had this issue with the eyeshadows?

Dawn said...

Eileen, would you mind telling me your coloring? And if you had to pick just 1 color - Escapade or Pink Haze - which would you choose?

I'm fair skinned, brown eyes, reddish brown hair. Any idea which one would work best? :) I'm limiting myself to just 1 color for my eyes. My only worry is that Escapade might run too yellow. Does it seem that way to you? It sounds like a great eye opening color. Thanks! :)

Catherine @ bcrueltyfree said...

What a stunning color. Aboslutely something I would wear often, especially in the summer.

Eileen said...

Hi Dawn,

I have a light complexion with peach undertones. Although I don't wear MAC, I've been matched to NC15. My eyes are a dark, warm green and I have black brows and lashes. I have both a large moveable eyelid and browbone area so I have plenty of room for playing with eyeshadows. My hair used to be almost black, but I've let it gray naturally so the hair on my crown is predominantly silver now although most of my hair is still very dark.

I love the combination of golden peach and burnished rose so I dove right in and bought both. Escapade is the more universally flattering of the two and, if you're the type who only wears one eyeshadow at a time or you want something polished but natural looking, then Escapade is the one to get. If you like wearing multiple shades, and your eyes are a warm color, then Haz is definitely the "Pow!" color. You can actually see a pretty good picture of it on Stylebistro (4/19). It looks more intense in the pot than it does when you sheer it out. It is a beyond gorgeous burnished rose color that adds interest to the more neutral Escapade and provides some contour. I can't imagine wearing it by itself, though, whereas you could easily wear Escapade solo.

Unknown said...

CG - I have Emerveille (and love it), but Eileen's description makes Escapade sound quite different. By the way, I'd love to help you sort your stash...

Eileen- Escapade sounds like liquified rose gold ore. I'll probably cave!

Eileen said...

Hi Dawn; Hi Ava,

Rae at the Raeviewer has a promo picture that beautifully captures the peachy tint in Escapade's gold and, of course, you've seen the peach fire in Charlestongirl's swatch. It's very pretty.

Dawn said...

Thanks Eileen! I'll bet Pink Haze looks stunning with your green eyes. You're lucky, I just have plain brown eyes. :) I don't wear MAC either but I've gotten samples of both NC15-20 and NW15-20 and either one seems to work for me. I guess I'm more neutral unless the product leans heavily yellow (like in foundation). I keep going through cycles in which sometimes I'd use at least 3 e/s at a time but now I've been using 1 color as a wash and changing up my eyeliner color. So I think I'm going to go ahead and order Escapade because you mentioned it would work well on it's own. Who knows, I might see a swatch of Pink Haze and think I definitely need it too but I'm trying to stick with only buying 2 items from this collection. :)

BTW I love Rae's blog. I was stalking it yesterday after I read she was going to have pics of this collection, LOL. I'm hoping CG swatches the face products tomorrow since I'm trying to decide which one of those to get as well - one of the cheek sticks or the skin illuminator. Did you get any of these? Do you have a favorite? Thanks Eileen for your help!