Thursday, April 25, 2013

Guerlain Terra Ora Compact for Summer 2013

Guerlain’s 2013 Terra Ora Collection is an invitation to summer. Using white and gold tones, which are showcased through stunning product composition and imagery, the Terra Ora assortment provides an unexpected and gorgeous contrast by playing with light and shadow, maximizing radiance and enhancing the inherent beauty of sun-kissed skin.

Guerlain’s newest, limited-edition signature compact, Terra Ora ($72), is a looker in the compact. It's composed of a pearly white gold and matte beige, which highlight and sculpt the face and décolleté. Terra Ora works for all skin tones and comes encased in a beautiful wooden mirror case with magnetic closure. There's something about magnetic closures that's elegant to my sense of touch.

When mine arrived - purchased from the Guerlain Boutique in Las Vegas - I jumped for joy. The bronzer shade has more rose in it than I had expected, and that's a good thing for me. I've only begun to play with it, but I thought it would be fun to share the love.

I took swatch photos in full, morning sun. I swatched the golden shade in the center of the compact at the top of my arm. Right below that, I swatched the bronze shade. Then I swatched the two shades mixed equally. Those three swatches were heavily applied with a sponge-tipped applicator.

Then I used a big, fluffy, dense brush to apply a realistic, blended application to my arm below the stripes of color. I'll start with photos (immediately above and below) that show all swatches.

This photo shows the colors individually, the center shade at the top, the bronzer shade below, and the blended shades at the bottom.

The golden highlighting shade would be pretty on anyone. The bronzer is a nice shade that works on my pale skin. The blended shade is drop-dead gorgeous.

The photo below shows how perfect the bronzer is when the shades are mixed and applied lightly.

Terra Oro is typical Guerlain summer: absolutely perfect! Look at the color and gleam of the blended shades. It's just as pretty as Tom Ford's new Fire Lust. The difference? This one is a powder.

Want a pro tip for application? Starting at the outer area and finishing with the inner gold circle, swirl your brush in an “O” shape for that perfect hint of bronze and gold all at once.

If your favorite Guerlain counter does not have the Terra Ora Collection, call Rhonda at the Guerlain Boutique at (702) 732-7008. She would be glad to help you. If you can wait, Guerlain’s Terra Ora Collection will be available beginning in May at select locations of Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Sephora, and Bergdorf Goodman.

Update: I wanted to return with a note about the intensity of Terra Ora. Many of us with fair complexions find bronzers hard to wear. They have to be just right to look natural. If that sounds like you, give Terra Ora a try. It's very sheer and pretty on my face, belying its depth in the compact. That's one reason the swatch photos of the blended shades are so light.

Photo at top courtesy of Guerlain; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

20 comments:

Zeynep said...

Really CG, really? Both TF and Guerlain the SAME day?!? ;)

Christina said...

Oh my gosh! This is gorgeous! I've been trying to buy less makeup, but everything you've been showing lately has been seriously tempting me. I don't even wear bronzer, but I want this one...and the Tom Ford...

Charlestongirl said...

I know, Zeynep,

My wallet is bleeding.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Christina,

These most recent collections are way too tempting.

Anonymous said...

I own one bronzer..yes, it's Guerlain!

BooBooNinja said...

Omph! I'm glad my wallet is closed to beauty purchases until August. There is too much to be tempted by right now.

Virginie said...

Boobooninja, how do you do it??? Seriously! ;-)

Charlestongirl said...

Virginie, I'm taking bets. She will break. Fall will come out in July. :) Sorry, BooBoo. :)

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

This one is pretty but I definitely think it's more suited for lighter skin tones. I'm going with the Terra Nerolia. I cannot wait!! :D

AZ said...

Quick question CG: the advertisement said this is supposedly a sculpting powder. Do you think it's too shimmery/glowy to contour with?

Seriously I've been buying so much makeup and it's only April... If this keeps up I'm going bankrupt by the end of the year

Claire said...

I'm looking for a good bronzer this summer. What do you think would be the best choice (among GA, TF, or Guerlain releases) for someone with light-fair skin (NC 15-20)? Something with shimmer is good, but I hope not over the top. Thanks for your input!

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I LOVE this!! From the compact, to the design, to the color, the warmth, the rosiness...ahh...everything! I am going to go BROKE with all of the gorgeous things you've laid before us recently! (but thanks!)

Anonymous said...

Hey CG! For fair skin ladies how do you think this compares to the guerlain 4 seasons nude bronzer? I can't decide which to purchase... Or both? :P

Makeupremastered said...

Hi CG
How would u compare this bronzer to the new Armani bronze all over palette??

Charlestongirl said...

Hi everyone,

I can't begin to guess who will like what best. There are so many factors to consider, including what you look like. Since I can't see that, I think you should try the products you are considering and then decide.

For comparisons, take a look at the swatches from my photos. Just use the search box on the right sidebar. My photos are almost always taken with full sun, so compare the swatches. It might help.

Anonymous said...

it look gorgeous!! btw I love your blog.

Evelyn said...

lol I was hoping you'd say it looked more orange on you but unfortunately for my wallet it doesn't seem so. In any case, I think Guerlain's bronzers are worth the money so I will have to squeeze some money out of the budget for one. :)

BooBooNinja said...

Virginie and CG: MUAHH HAAA HAAA HAAAAAAAAA! Little do you know how strong I can be when a gauntlet is thrown!

I must admit I did crack on a tinted moisturizer at the recent Sephora sale, but it shouldn't really count as the "moisturizer" part is covered by my skin care exception, and the "tinted" part was covered by an old Sephora credit. If you allow me that bit of wiggle room, I think my ban is intact. What say you?

AND, to you, dear CG, the Fall Collections will still be standing come August. :)

Anonymous said...

Which would you pick to give an all over warm glow. This bronzer or Tom Ford fire lust mixed with foundation? I also have hourglass radiant light and was debating if I needed this.

Anonymous said...

Which would you recommend for an all over warm glow. This Terra bronzer or Tom Ford mixed with foundation? I also have hourglass radiant light and am debating if I need this bronzer.