Monday, May 3, 2010

CoverGirl LashBlast Fusion Mascara

CoverGirl makes some great mascaras. The new LashBlast Fusion ($9.99) isn't one of them. The much-hyped Fusion has arrived at all the stores, ready for CoverGirl mascara mavens. Naturally, I wanted to try it.

LashBlast Fusion is promoted as CoverGirl's first-ever volume plus length mascara. The fiberstretch formula and oversized brush are supposed to make every little lash bigger, fuller, longer-looking, and more dramatic. It's just not that good in my humble opinion.

I wish I could tell you that LashBlast Fusion is superior in some aspect of its performance. I do like the fact that it's available in many shades, including very black, black, black-brown, and brown. That gives us plenty of options. Depending on the look I'm trying to create, I might choose a very black mascara one day and black-brown the next. Other mascaras come in all of these shades, though, so there's no competitive edge there.

I don't care for the Fusion wand. It's big and clunky, making application of the mascara something like painting with a roller. You won't be able to use this wand to separate your lashes if they are nice and full. As long as we are talking about big, I don't even like the feel of Fusion in my hand. It's fat - too fat for my small hand. I find a slimmer tube more comfortable.

LashBlast Fusion paints my lashes just fine, but it has no special lengthening properties. My lashes are long, and I appreciate a mascara that easily coats them to show off their length. I have to work to apply Fusion to coat the entire lash surface. I will say that it doesn't clump while I work to apply it. I guess that's an advantage.

If this mascara hadn't been so widely hyped, I would have tried it and tossed it - without writing a word. Given the many fine words that have been written about it, I decided to write my opinion to provide some balance.

There are better mascaras. At the drugstore, start with Maybelline's Define-A-Lash. Or stick with your CoverGirl old favorite.

Photo courtesy of Drugstore.com

No comments: