Saturday, May 15, 2010

NARS Smude Proof Eyeshadow Base

I have been testing primers. Next up on my test list was NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base ($24). It really works!

For years, I have been buying the luscious cream eye shadows offered by NARS. The colors in the pan are irresistible. And for years, I have had NARS cream shadows creep on my eyelids, ending up in the crease - even when I was wearing my favorite primer. As a rule, I don't have trouble with cream shadows.

I finally got frustrated enough to write to Ask the Artist on the NARS Web site and explained my situation. A very nice rep wrote back and suggested I try applying powder shadow beneath the cream shadow. I was surprised, so I responded and verified that she had said powder first, cream second. I don't know how you feel about that, but I didn't think it was worth the trouble, given that you can find a powder eye shadow in just about every color shade on earth. Why would I need to follow with cream?

So, I hadn't been wearing my collection of NARS cream shadows. Very recently, NARS introduced this primer for eyelids. Here's where my mind went: If NARS developed it, surely they tested it with their own cream shadows. I ordered it right away.

I'm happy to report that I'm now wearing my NARS cream eye shadows! The NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base keeps them on. Happy me! I won't tell you it keeps them on 16 hours, but I'll take 8-10 any day. Naturally, I've tested the product with powder shadows of all types, and it holds them all very well.

This smudge-proof eyeshadow base uses a unique polymer and mineral powder blend to get a firm grip on color for long-lasting wear. Fortified with a special deep-sea extract and an antioxidant rice extract, it dries on contact and keeps the delicate eyelid smooth and ready for eyeshadow application. It has a white color that blends into "nothingness" on the lids, so if you want to brighten or lighten (for example to cover redness), you will need to use a base color.

I'm sold. Love this primer! So did my sensitive eyelids. There were no screams of "get this stuff off here" as has happened with many eyelid products.

You can purchase the NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base at Sephora. I don't see it at the NARS Web site yet - not sure why.

Photo courtesy of Sephora

2 comments:

Beauty For A Living said...

Hi! Like you, I've already seen the eye shadow base in action and it is AMAZING! Here's my review!

It's not available in my country yet but in a couple of weeks, it will hit stores and I am willing to plunk down money for this!!!

Charlestongirl said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing your review!

What's really nice is that you don't have to plunk down too much money.

Nice to meet you!