Friday, December 9, 2011

Chanel Ombre Essentielle Soft Touch Eyeshadow - Harmonie de Printemps Collection for Spring 2012

Use the French name or the English? The language of beauty is universal! Chanel's Harmonie de Printemps Collection for Spring 2012 features two Ombres à Paupières Mono Douceur ($28.50) Soft Touch Eyeshadows in the shades of the season (pink and tangerine). I'm glad I purchased both - one because it's a great shade for me and the other because I need to get out of my color rut.

Rose de Mai (#92) is shown above left, and Tigerlily (#91) is shown above right. You'll find similar shades on Pantone's Spring 2012 Fashion Color Report. Tigerlily is a cross between Pantone's Solar Power and Tangerine Tango, and Rose de Mai is just a little warmer, and thus more universally pleasing, than Sweet Lilac. Both shades will give you a pretty pastel look for spring.

I swatched them heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator and took my photos in full sun. Look at that brilliant blue sky in the photo directly below! It's a gorgeous day.

Rose de Mai is a warm pink with a finish that straddles the line between matte and satin. Tigerlily is sparkling tangerine. Tigerlily is a departure for me. If you had asked me a year ago if I would buy a tangerine eye shadow, I would have answered with a swift no. It's an amazing shade on women with dark skin, but on me? I'm going to experiment with it this spring to find out whether it's a shade I can wear - either alone or combined with other shades. Everyone needs an adventure now and then.

There were actually days when I would have avoided both shades. Pinks can make me look like an albino bunny, but I've learned how to use them under the brow or layered to achieve a beautiful look. Naturally, these shades are much "tamer" when applied with an eye shadow brush and a light hand.

Rose de Mai is a bit like a matte version of the sparkling Sillage, which you can see at The Beauty Look Book. There isn't a current Chanel mono shade that I'd compare to Tigerlily.

You should be able to find the Harmonie de Printemps Collection for Spring 2012 at your favorite Chanel counter - if not today, soon. It's on display at Neiman Marcus Tysons Galleria, where I bought my new favorites, and where they are having a special event today with Chanel's National Makeup Artist John Fussell. If you live near DC and want to go, there may be a few appointments left. I had to cancel mine. Take it! Neiman Marcus at (703) 761-1600.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

12 comments:

Swathi Narumanchi said...

They look so different from the pan to the arm swatch. Very lovely though.

I am sure that if the tigerlily is mixed with a shade like green/khaki or grey/black would make it more wearable.

lovethescents said...

GORGEOUS! Waaaay too tempting. I see both in my future. They scream moi :-)

My Autistic Adventure said...

Oh yes, I agree with Swathi Narumanchi, Tigerlily with grey would be stunning.

Lena said...

Charlestongirl! You are so brave to try tangerine eye shadow! I will hold my breath waiting for your results! Thank you for great pictures!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Swathi!

I think I'd love Tigerlily blended or worn with khaki. Great idea!

Charlestongirl said...

Really, lovethescents? I wouldn't have taken you for a Tigerlily gal. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Charlie!

Nice name. That's what I call my best buddy (with his pretty fur) for short. :)

I think I've got a lot of playing to do.

Charlestongirl said...

LOL, Lena - either brave or dumber than dirt.

Jane said...

Oh, come on, now! I'd talked myself out of the pink eye shadow (see? I'm not even using its name so I won't be able to but it!) but your swatches make me hope for it. It's so pretty and could be so beautifully incorporated into a neutral eye!

alysemae said...

I really wanted tigerlily, so I goggled Tangerine eye shadow and it actually brings up a couple of wearable looks. I especially like Michael Kors spring 08 with purple on the lid and tangerine in the crease. So I think that justifys getting it.

Giovanni_Rocco said...

Thank you so much for always bringing us great reviews :)

wtmontana said...

I absolutely adore the Tigerlily shadow and bought it myself the other day :-) almost freaked last night whilst cleaning I knocked it off of the shelf I keep everything on and couldn't find it!! But I found it in the end and was a happy girl again :-) It's just such a pretty shade!