Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Coming Attraction: Jo Malone London Blossoms for Spring 2012

A gorgeous collection of new Jo Malone fragrances has been created by Christine Nagel for Jo Malone's Spring 2012 Collection. Like other groundbreaking Jo Malone launches over the last two years, London Blooms offers something different. There are three new fragrances: White Lilac & Rhubarb, Peony & Moss, and Iris & Lady Moore - all of which celebrate the quintessential English Garden. The bottles are a departure from the traditional minimalist bottles from the company. The blossoms are a beautiful touch. You can see them from any angle.

I had an opportunity to purchase these fragrances, and I decided to start with two (yes, I really want the third, but it will have to wait for the launch). Both are dreamy.

Iris & Lady Moore Cologne is an intoxicating scent. The bottle is decorated with iris blooms (even though iris used in fragrances comes from the rhizome) and what I assume are Lady Moore geraniums (luminous pink flowers with purple veins). It's an unusual fragrance, with a lovely, soft iris scent that is present in the top notes and base notes. I wish I could provide you with all the notes in these fragrances. I can't, even though I've searched for them on the Web (and written a company rep). I'll find out by the time they launch in March. I can smell something woody in Iris & Lady Moore.

White Lilac & Rhubarb Cologne is delightful. It's one of the few "lilac" fragrances I have that actually smells like lilac. The top notes burst forth with May's welcome lilacs. The sweet scent of spring is accompanied by rhubarb, a tart vegetable that's making a comeback in farmers' markets. The overall effect of the lilac and rhubarb in the cologne had me at first sniff. I love it!

Now I really want Peony & Moss. I imagine it also combines sweet with tart. I had an opportunity to purchase it on eBay, but decided to do the prudent thing and wait to see how I liked the first two. Now it's gone. I did find the collection for sale on Amazon, but at a much higher price than I paid. I have no idea how these bottles have been made available months before the official launch. If you can't wait, head over to Amazon.

Update 12/22: Confession - I contacted the seller and also purchased Peony & Moss. I decided I couldn't wait until March.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

18 comments:

Nemo said...

I love Jo Malone, but I would have to smell these before buying, as I would with any fragrance. Meanwhile, Ms. Charlestongirl, my All About Me arrived last nite and I love it. You were right! It is indeed a perfect color, and unusual, too; I have nothing like it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Nemo, most people want to sniff first. I gamble, and it's often successful. :)

I'm so glad to hear you love All About Me - I think it's "to die for."

Flyavsted said...

I wish you had a tweet function to your blog entries! I for sure want to share this entry! I love Jo Malone. I just ordered two new Jo Malone scents and can hardly wait for them to arrive!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Flyavsted, I did tweet it. Cheers!

lovethescents said...

How exciting that you got these! The iris sounds nice. Think I might want to try that at some point. The rhubarb, though, I'm a little leary about. I've tried several rhubarb-based fumies and I just don't care for the souriness on my skin; lovely on a man, though!

Goodness I like the look of the bottles. It would spruce up any bathroom if tactfully placed, and NOT surrounded by clutter....ie, not my bathroom :-)

Speaking of lilacs, have you tried Highland Lilac? Now that's a true lilac. If you don't know it, remind me, and I'll send you a sample :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Oh, I'd love it, Lovethescents! Actually, there is no sourness to this rhubarb. I think you will love it. Maybe I can slip a sample in your next box. :)

lovethescents said...

Perfect. Okay, I'm going to start creating a C-girl file. You know how forgetful I am :-)

Evelyn said...

These sound really nice! I have only one Jo Malone fragrance - Red Roses which I like but for a sort of soapy scent after a bit. I'm weird though, can't trust my nose to describe things properly. lol

I've always wanted a fragrance that actually smells like lilacs, I'll have to try White Lilac & Rhubarb. Roses, lilac, jasmine and honeysuckle always get my attention.

Charlestongirl said...

Evelyn, I adore Red Roses. I can't count the compliments I've received while wearing it.

Sounds like you and I love the same notes. :)

Charlestongirl said...

LOL, Lovethescents, that would be nice. I like the idea of having a "file." :)

Jo said...

I got All About Me yesterday too and I LOVE it!

Kim H. said...

These all sound amazing!

Charlestongirl said...

Glad to hear it, Jo!

Charlestongirl said...

They ARE, Kim, I really love them. Wore the iris one out to dinner tonight. :)

Anonymous said...

I love many (not all) Jo Malone fragrances. I can hardly wait to smell these new ones. Thank you for your wonderful review.
I got LMdB Blush kaleidoscope today. All 4 colors seem very pigmented and easy to overdo. The top color looks a little scary (orangy) - probably unusable for my pale skin. The others could work if applied lightly with a skunk brush.
Now I wonder whether we should use the same Couches de Couleurs technique to apply these blushes like we do with LMdB eyeshadows? Ms. Charlestongirl, did you have a chance to ask the author about the proper application technique?

Sophia1105 said...

This grabs me as something lovely for spring, though I too, will have to try first. Jo fades fast on me and a floral ungrounded with another softer or earthier scent often just doesn't fit.

Thanks for the reviews, Charlestongirl! The one with moss notes is now calling me.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Nina! I wish mine would arrive! It was shipped last Friday, but is still not here. Bummed!

Maybe tomorrow...

I didn't talk to Mikey. I know you start from the bottom and layer toward the top. That said, I pay no attention. I'm like an unruly kid. I just mix and match whatever way makes me happy. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Sophia!

I caved and ordered it. :) I'll post if after I get it.