Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Bobbi Brown Sparkle Eye Shadow from the Pretty Powerful Uber Basics Collection

Last week, I showed you a preview of Bobbi Brown's new Sparkle Eye Shadows ($28) from the Pretty Powerful Uber Basics Collection. Sparkle Eye Shadow is a featherweight formula that instantly lights up the eyes with a unique combination of shimmering pearls and glitter in a translucent base. Creamy-soft powder shadow glides on smoothly and clings to lids for crease-free, long-lasting wear. These four new beautifully sheer shades illuminate eyes with subtle shimmer and shine. The shades are Bone, Cement, Taupe, and Black Chocolate. There is one gold shade already introduced.

Bobbi's fresh take on glitter lights up eyes with a combination of shimmering pearls and fine glitter. Now in limited-edition shades that are perfect for both day and night.

I saw them at Neiman Marcus and I bought - all of them!  I've had a problem with some of Bobbi Brown's sparkly shadows. On me, they were all glitter with no pigment. They were almost like colored glitter. These new Sparkle Eye Shadows have rectified that problem. They have pigment to go with the sparklies, and the creamy-soft texture keeps the shadow on my eyes.

I took photos of all four, in the same order shown at the top of the feature: Bone, Cement, Taupe, and Black Chocolate - left to right above and top to bottom on my arm. I applied them with a sponge-tipped applicator - fairly heavily - and I took my photos in full sun. Bone, shown at the top of my arm, has the least color because it's supposed to be light. The other three offer plenty of pigment.

My favorites are Cement (second down on my arm) and Taupe below it. These neutrals with a punch are gorgeous choices for evening. I can't wear them to work (you just cannot wear glitter in a professional job), but I'll happily wear them in the evening.

The Bobbi Brown representative and I discussed how to keep stray sparklies from falling onto the cheekbones. She said these shadows definitely had to be applied with a brush. That works, but actually, a sponge-tipped applicator works even better. Make sure to wear a primer or another shadow with less sparkle underneath.

The new Sparkle Eye Shadows are available at Bobbi Brown's Web site and all Bobbi Brown counters.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

8 comments:

lizzybee said...

Too too glittery, CG- when would one wear these? (When one is past thirty?). Thanks for the beautiful post!! xoxo Beth in Pgh

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I love them in theory, but really, I don't go out much at night. And like @lizzybee, I just don't feel comfortable in that much shimmer. A touch, no problem. But only in one place (and I prefer that in my gloss or over the tops of my cheekbones)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Beth!

I know. How often do we go out? In my case, not that often.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Mamaval,

Try them under the crease. Pretty!

Dovey said...

Hi Charlestongirl, these are gorgeous! I never really got into Bobbi's sparkle eyeshadows even in powder form, though there have been some really pretty ones. I really like the colors Bobbi's Uber Basics collection. I've been eyeing Black Chocolate in the regular eyeshadow form. I have the other regular eyeshadow colors in full or palette size, and they're all such great colors!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Dovey!

Give them a try. I like them.

Anonymous said...

Actually the very eat method I've found to apply these is your finger. Brushes don't pick up the sparkle very well. As for those who say they can't wear glitter, these are the finest glitter you'll find. When applied with my finger, I have zero fallout!

Charlestongirl said...

Wow, Nora, I would never have thought of my finger. Now, of course, I must try it. Thanks!