Saturday, September 8, 2012

Rouge Dior Nude Lip Color for Fall 2012

There are eight new Rouge Dior Nude ($32) "Lip Blush" shades. Among them, I'm sure there's something for everyone. In my case, there were two I had to have, and I was being judicious. Greige (#169) is shown above.

Nude does not end with a flawless complexion. Dior presents a collection of lipsticks that take nude to the next level. A collection of eight radiant lip-blush shades instantly hydrates, plumps, and smoothes lips for an elegant finish.

Dior bucked this fall's red lip trend with this collection. Brilliant! Even more brilliant is Dior's plan to donate 100% of the proceeds of Greige #169, Natalie Portman's favorite, to Free the Children, a charity that funds secondary education for girls in Kenya.

In my photo directly above, Greige (#169) is shown on the left - odd name for a lipstick, isn't it - and Esquisse (#572) is shown on the right. I selected these shades after testing the colors at Neiman Marcus. Greige was an easy choice, given the donation Dior would make to charity. Esquisse was an easy choice because the rose-toned nude is a divine shade. As an aside, I am very confused by Nordstrom's Web site, which assigns Esquisse a different number, 572. See below.

Greige is shown at the top of my arm, with Esquisse below. My photos were taken in full, morning sun. Aren't they pretty? I'm not sure I'd call Esquisse nude, but who's quibbling? Added to the natural pigment in my lips, Esquisse is actually dark on me. It's the darkest of the eight shades, and it's as dark a shade as I can wear comfortably.

These lipsticks offer saturated color and a very tiny amount of shine. The shine you see in my swatch photos resulted from direct sun exposure. These lipsticks do have that "traditional lipstick" fragrance - what I call vintage Dior. However, it's not obnoxious, and it dissipates pretty quickly.

I found mine at Neiman Marcus, where they had just arrived. The new nude shades are all shown in one of the left-most columns in the display. They are also available at all Dior counters and online sites.

Good call, Dior! Thanks for giving those of us who don't wear vibrant red lips a stylish alternative.

Photo at top courtesy of Dior/Nordstrom; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

14 comments:

Martha said...

Thank you for the swatches. I am excited about these beautiful colors, and I am going to try not to buy every one of them :)

Nemo said...

Absolutely lovely!

Lulle said...

In this release I'm mostly interested in Charnelle, I need to go to a counter and try it on! I love Dior lipsticks, they're the first high end lippies I ever indulged in, and I never regretted it!

bisbee said...

Love the darker color!

I'm about to test my GA Maestro Eraser concealer - will repot back!

EllenB said...

I love both of your colors shown. If I had to pick one to own, I would choose the bottom one, Esquisse. I don't currently own any Dior lippies, but I'd love to have one! May have to give in and buy Equisse or maybe both!! Great review as always!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Martha. If you want one, act quickly. Many have already sold out at NM Tysons.

Charlestongirl said...

Lulle, same story. Act quickly. They are selling out.

Charlestongirl said...

Have fun, Bisbee!

Charlestongirl said...

Ellen, hurry! That one is already sold out at the store where I purchased. They are very popular.

Charlestongirl said...

I like them too, Nemo!

Maureen said...

I stopped at the Dior counter today and swatched Charnelle and Griege. The latter is too light on me, and Charnelle is a possibility.

bisbee said...

Reporting back in (and I am proofreading before posting now)...

Very happy with the Maestro Eraser...very similar to the foundation, and they work together nicely!

Mila said...

I'm so glad I found your blog, informative and all the right brands. Love love!

Dior makes my favorite MLBB lip colors. I'm very cooled toned alabaster skinned Scandinavian with dark hair and Dior just knows how to make the most elegant mauve toned berry lipsticks. My current favorite is Dior addict 623 beige Mondaine/Montaigne (depending on the source, my package says Mondaine).

It looks like that Dior will have more shades in Europe. On my list to try are esquisse 683 and guipure 663.

Anonymous said...

I chose Greige because of the charity fact. Nude shades aren't usually good for me because I don't wear other makeups. I never feel disappointed with Greige though.

Good job for the review, btw! Thanks :)