Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tarte Maracuja Cheek Tint in Deep Berry

Tarte's Maracuja Cheek Tint ($25) is a cheek tint or stain for those who can't keep color on their cheeks. It's seriously long-lasting! More on that below. I was interested in trying one, so I selected Deep Berry online from the four shades available.

Deep Berry, shown above, was a "radical" choice for me. I'm sure Light Nectar or Light Pink would have been more appropriate, but I really wanted to see Deep Berry. Into my shopping cart it went. I only had $25 to lose, right?

Brighten up! Infused with pure maracuja oil, this brightening cheek tint is loaded with antioxidant-rich nutrients. Effortlessly dab and blend the gel-like texture to the apples of your cheeks to experience the true uniqueness and the cooling sensation of the pure undiluted maracuja in this blush.

So far, so good. This Cheek Tint comes with a pump top, so you have to pump a small amount to an intermediary location. I pumped it into my palm. You can apply the tint with a brush or your fingers (pat, pat, pat, hope it looks even).  I used a sponge-tipped applicator for my swatch photos, but I use a brush on my face. Check out my swatch photos, and you will see a scary dot of the unblended shade and a much larger swatch of the blended shade.

My photos were taken in full, but rapidly disappearing sunlight. The dot straight out of the pump is deep pink or a shade of cherry red, depending on your eyes and perspective. The blended shade is bright pink.

This Cheek Tint is ideal for women who cannot keep blush on their faces - either because of oily skin, perspiration from outdoor activities, or any other cause. It's also ideal for the woman who needs cheek color for 48, maybe 72 hours - a rare breed.

Believe me, Maracuja Cheek Tint won't come off. Here's what I had to do to remove it from my arm.
  1. Soap and water didn't work. Didn't touch it.
  2. Oily long-wear makeup remover didn't work.  Didn't touch it.
  3. An abrasive exfoliator/scrub didn't work. It was still as bright as it was when I applied it.
  4. I was desperate. I reached for the Clorox bottle and used 100% Clorox. That took it off my palm and arm with a little rubbing. I would not recommend that you try this method of removal on your face.
Once applied, this Cheek Tint will be on your face for a long time. The only thing I didn't try was a long, soaking shower or bath. I wanted to get more swatch photos that day.

The Deep Berry color is pretty. It is better suited to medium or dark skin. It is sheer and buildable, and I can wear it on my ultra-fair skin if I blend it out significantly.  Still, it's not my shade. After trying it, I know I should have selected one of the shades I listed above.

I purchased my Maracuja Cheek Tint at Tarte's Web site. I don't see it at Sephora. Maybe it's a Tarte exclusive. If you can't keep your cheek color on your cheeks, hop over to Tarte.

Photo at top courtesy of Tarte; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

15 comments:

Swathi Narumanchi said...

Happy Bday Adrienne ! Here's wishing you lots of make up, perfumes and panda pictures over the coming year !

Rosemary said...

Clorox? Oh, my, the things you do for us CG!

It's your birthday? Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Charleston Girl, Happy Birthday to you! And many more...

All the counters you visit in NoVA and Chevy Chase should get together and send you dozens of roses with baskets of full size products. Are you listening out there, Saks, NM, Nordies, etc.?

Rosemary

Liz said...

I'm one of those people who can't keep blush (or bronzer, or foundation, or anything else) on her face all day due to oily skin, so I could really use something like this. My two concerns are getting itmeven and getting it off at the end of the day.

Happy birthday!

lovethescents said...

OMG, I'm SO SO SO sorry that happened to you! What an awful nightmare to celebrate your happy day. Once again, I think we are all so grateful you suffer in the name of beauty so we don't have to. Now go take a bath in olive oil and Butt Paste and have a nice bubbly drinky.

Happy day from all of us, lovely C-girl.

Eileen said...

So, you're a birthday girl! Congratulations and Happy Birthday, dear Charlestongirl! Here's wishing you a stress-free year filled with beautiful things, good times, and excellent health. I hope you've got some bubbly on ice :-)

As for the cheek tint, I think I'll give this one a miss. I've read some reviewers (QVC) say they've had to use rubbing alcohol and pumice to get the stain off their fingers. So no, I don't think I'd want to use anything this difficult to remove on my face. It's really not such a big deal to touch up blush. Besides, I often change blush colors when I go from day to night so I don't think I'd want to be stuck with one indelible shade on my cheeks.

Hi Liz,

Stains are always tricky and take a bit of practice. Lisa Eldridge discusses how to use stains in one of her videos and some of the product reviews I read mentioned applying several tiny dots and then blending like crazy. The consensus seems to be that stains are quite a bit of work but, if it is the only thing that will last on your skin, it might be worth learning the technique. I suppose you've already tried the usual primers to no avail.

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Swathi! Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes.

Charlestongirl said...

Rosemary, yep. Clorox. It worked, which is a cool thing!

Thanks for telegraphing that message. Wish they had heard you. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Liz, you will become adept at application with time. I'm really not sure how you'll get it off at the end of the day. Maybe your skin will shed it easier than mine did.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents,

Worse things could happen. :)

Bubbly? YES!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen, and thanks!

Rubbing alcohol? I also tried that. No go. Can you imagine, though? Sorry, I don't want stained fingers, palm, whatever.

Claudia said...

Wow...the not coming off so easy is a good thing but could also be not so good, especially if you apply too much. I am still looking for a nice color that will work for me, but I think I will stick with a powder type blush.

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

LOL that sounds a little scary!! :P I don't think this is the product for me...I'm too scared of mistakes and highly pigmented liquids to use something that stains so badly :P I have oily skin too--but I think I'll stick with my powders!

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CG!!! WE LOVE YOU!! :D

Charlestongirl said...

I would too, Claudia. I like makeup I can remove. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Becca.

I think the market for this stain doesn't include me. I have no trouble keeping powder blush on my face. However, for those whose skin eats blush, this is a great option.

Virginie said...

HAppy birthday you virgo lady!!! All the best.....