Friday, September 14, 2012

Chantecaille Elephant Fun Cheek Shade for Fall 2012

Yabba dabba doo! My Elephant Fun Cheek Shade ($38) arrived this week. It's everything I expected - and more!

How quickly could I write a blog feature? Not in the five minutes I had earlier (for those who read the first version of this feature). I'm back now, having had bilateral shots of cortisone in my spine, and I'm raring to describe the elephant blush.

The little Elephant Fun Cheek Shade is small, but elegant. It feels like a polished talisman in my hand. Open it up, and you'll see the stunning elephant, who will, unfortunately, disappear with use. He'll be gone before you've used it a week. Still, he's irresistible.

Take a look at this swatch! I took my photos in full sun, and I applied the blush heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator. Keep that in mind when you see the concentrated color in my swatch photos.

As you can see here, the shade is warm peach with a twist. It's not pure peach, but I wouldn't call it coral either. Chantecaille calls it soft apricot. That works for me. It has hues of pink and coral in it, and the lighting and clothing, along with other makeup, can enhance its appearance. You'll notice that my swatch photos were taken in different outdoor lighting, and that made a slight difference in the appearance of the shade.

The gold overspray will be gone in a heartbeat, so don't count on shimmer. I tried to avoid it with the new compact when I applied the swatch to my arm.

Here are some other things you should know. Chantcaille's Cheek Shades are made with micro-particles that contribute to their exquisite colors and featherweight texture. Processed with a new technology that produces a light, ultra-fine coated powder, Cheek Shades go on matte and adhere beautifully to the skin, yet blend so well they leave no perceptible surface.

Fitting for the elephant blush, it's cruelty-free - it has no animal, lanolin, or mineral derivatives. Even better, five percent of the proceeds from this blush will be donated to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, an organization that rescues, fosters, and release baby elephants orphaned by ivory poaching (which is out of control and threatens the elephant population in addition to being so cruel it makes me cry).

I've adopted two baby elephants and will adopt more in the future. Read the organization's Web site, and I'll bet you'll have an elephant of your own soon. It will break your heart, but gladden you that someone cares.

I purchased my Elephant Fun Cheek Shade from Chantecaille's Web site, and I'll be purchasing another one from Jeannine Barnes at Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie when she gets her stock. You will be able to find this beauty at all Chantecaille counters very soon, if not now.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

28 comments:

Eileen said...

Yabba dabba doo is right. And add a woo-hoo and an OMG, too! LOL I received this precious just this week and adore it. The little elephant on it is beyond cute and the apricot blush is a mouth-watering, delicious shade. I can hardly wait to read what you think about it.

lovethescents said...

This is an eye-popper, for sure. Beautiful compact and elephant, and the swatch, oh C-girl, the swatch!! The torment!! Wear it in good health <3

CGirl said...

Oh it looks so gorgeous! I'm so glad I ordered this and can't wait for it to arrive! I hope it looks as good on me as it does on your arm :D

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen! Isn't it an exciting little treasure? I need another one for my makeup museum. Feature updated now!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents,

This is your kind of shade. Maybe Santa will be good to you?

Charlestongirl said...

CGirl, it will. This is an every-woman shade. You will love it!

Tatiana said...

I don't usually wear blush, but lately I've been looking in the mirror and have been thinking my complexion could use a little brightening to look less gray. When I look at blush it all looks so artificial in color. But I can imagine this beautiful color, applied sheerly, as being just the thing I need. I am definitely going to check this out when it hits the Chantecaille counter at my local Neiman's.
Cortisone shots in your spine? Eek! I hope your back feels better soon.

JoanneP @ The Convenient Beauty said...

Such a pretty shade! And so versatile too! Great review as always

Lulle said...

This is in my price range, and I'll be happy to support this amazing organization saving baby elephants, and discover Chantecaille at the same time! This is also exactly my kind of shade.

Claudia said...

Beautiful color...would probably work for me.

Lucia said...

Dear Charleston Girl,
I was waiting for you to make this review, I love Chantecaille products and under your suggestion I bought the Ayoka powder and some other blushes (Sisley), love them both. Now I am a medium-tan skin color girl with olive undertones, do you think that this gem is going to show up on my cheeks at all?

I wear the Chantecaille future skin foundation on Wheat, same for its tinted moisturizer.

Do you think it will show? please please say yes so I can buy the blush and give my little contribution to the elefants.

Also I wear eyeliner A LOT, did you see the bronze one? I own the hematite and the espresso, love them.

Thanks,
Lucia

Joan said...

i hope you feel better! cortisone in the spine sounds scary! stay healthy (so you can swatch more for us)! :)

lov2read68 said...

What a gorgeous gem this is! Hope the shots are giving you relief - I have been down that road!

Unknown said...

I looked at this today and the SA put it on my cheeks and I loved it. I was waiting for it forever! since the counter got the rest of the collection but not the blush :( so I wanted to get it but the only problem was that they only had the tester out :[ she said it should be coming any day now. It is really lovely!!

tasa said...

oh it looks lovely on the swatch! I usually don't get excited by blushes, but this one really got me, and it's a shade I'm missing. I think a(nother) trip to the counter is in order.

Thanks as always! Hope you're feeling better!

cytaormina said...

Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous (making grabby hands!). Thank you!

Charlestongirl said...

Yowsers. I need to go get my hair trimmed. Will be back later to respond to comments.

Charlestongirl said...

Claudia, I think this color will work for all but the darkest skins.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lucia,

YES! Just build the color on your cheeks if the first application doesn't show.

I've purchased every one of those liners! Love them!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Tatiana, yes, it is the second series of three epidurals. I'll do anything that will help!

Have fun tying this beauty!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, JoanneP!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Joan,

It's not all that scary. They do it in the hospital with a big machine that allows them to see your spine and where their needles are going. Only once did they truly hit my sciatic nerve. That was a jolt!

Thank you!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Lov2read. I don't think they help more than mildly, but any help is nice.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Unknown,

They should have it any day!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Tasa! Have fun shopping. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Cytaormina! I'd be making grabby hands too.

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

I played with this FINALLY the other week, but the store didn't have any in yet to sell so I decided to come back. It's a little paler than I had thought/hoped it would be, but it's still STUNNING. It will definitely be mine soon :)

RCL said...

Does it comes with one of those mini-brushes?
Thanks