Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sunday This and That

I don't know what came over me. I walked into the Ralph Lauren store at Tysons Galleria. I know not to do that; it's too tempting. I could live in Ralph Lauren - if only I were rich. After some pleasant chit chat at the door, I did a quick tour and found this amazing Velvet Lanigan Jacket in Cabernet Red, made with Italian cotton velvet. I'd call it aubergine. It snared me. I couldn't leave without it. They had a size 4, and it went out the door - with me.

A friend gave me her Fall 2012 issue of Ralph Lauren's catalog, which is like an image book. It's really dangerous to read. There's about $15,000 worth of much-have clothing in it. There's probably another $15,000 worth of nice-to-have items. Who can afford to be a Ralph man or woman?

I'm sure it didn't escape your notice that Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in New York was filled with beautiful designs for Spring/Summer 2013. Ralph Lauren never fails to show beautiful clothing. I can see myself wearing the outfit below. I'm not sure where. I might need a camisole under that blouse, but I'd be happy to look so pulled together.

Now that Neiman Marcus' Beauty Week is over, we are facing two more beauty events! Saks Fifth Avenue's starts on September 27 and runs through October 6. They are offering your choice of three very large, ostrich-imprint totes in navy, dark green, and mustard - supposedly filled with samples. One can be yours with a $100 purchase in the beauty department.

I called Saks at Chevy Chase this afternoon and found out they have the Blue Illusion de Chanel Collection available. If you missed the collection at Chanel.com, give Loyd or Georgia a call at (240) 497-5363 or (240) 497-5301.

There are two other events underway or about to start. I believe the Barneys GWP event starts very soon. I'm sorry I don't have the date to give you. I'll find it. If you live in the U.K., Liberty's has a fabulous GWP event underway. I wish they shipped to the U.S.

I'm not sure how I feel about Bobbi Brown signing Katie Holmes to be the face of Bobbi Brown. It's clear the celebrity bandwagon is still marching. Max Factor has signed Gwyneth Paltrow.  According to WWD, Paltrow will star in a six-month Max Factor campaign, starting in November, in which she’ll model looks created by the brand’s makeup artists to reflect the different aspects of her life. Paltrow also signed to be the ambassador for Hugo Boss's new women's fragrance Boss Nuit Pour Femme. She's going to be a busy lady.

I had an opportunity to talk to a skin-care insider this weekend. He was only vaguely aware of the FDA's mandate to Lancôme to adjust its advertising claims within 15 days. We talked about what that would mean industry-wide. He said that many companies will have to change their packaging, package inserts, Web sites, training materials, magazine advertisements, and other media placements and that there was no way it could be accomplished in 15 days. How the Lancôme case plays out in the industry will be an interesting test. The FDA threatened seizure and injunctions for products that  claim to "boost the activity of genes" or "stimulate cell regeneration" to reduce the signs of aging.

I'll leave you with one more random thought. I read in WWD that this season's makeup texture is velvet. Deep, rich colors with a plush finish dominate makeup artists’ offerings, from lushly opaque liquid lipsticks in deep hues, like those by Hourglass and Shiseido.Velvet textures are said to be tactile and sensuous. Keep your eyes open. You'll see velvet in the names of many new offerings. Estée Lauder's limited-edition Pure Color Velvet Lipstick in Black Cassis is shown above.

Photos courtesy of Ralph Lauren and Estée Lauder

28 comments:

lov2read68 said...

I completely understand why that jacket left with you! It is gorgeous - definitely will be a versatile piece once the weather cools down.

Clarisse said...

Oh I love this jacket! just what I would love to buy too, those I've found so far are either blue or black but I love this bordeaux shade, it is so elegant! Great buy Charlestongirl, congratulations:-)

Clarisse said...

By the way, I wish I could afford to be a Ralph Lauren woman: so many wonderful things to wear:-)

bisbee said...

Gorgeous jacket - the Ralph Lauren ads in magazines and in the Sunday NY Times always blow me away! And...I'd sell my soul (almost) for a Ricky bag!

Jessi G said...

Beautiful jacket-I'm jealous! I'm confused, Max Factor is back? Or has the brand been around and I wasn't aware?
I live in NJ now but I was a resident of Northern Virginia and worked in the Tyson's area out of college (about 1999-2001). Your posts make me reminisce about all the afternoons I had to waste shopping the beauty counters at the two different malls-Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus-with my girlfriends. No time now with my kids and husband, and the kids are both boys, so no patience either. Love the blog-taking the time to share, even about something like makeup-impacts others. Best to you!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lov2read!

It will be great once our weather gets a bit cooler. I can wear it to work or with jeans. Really versatile.

Charlestongirl said...

Clarisse, I would love to find a dark blue one! RL had charcoal in a long riding jacket style and brown in the style I purchased. I could only have one. :)

Couldn't you just live in his clothing?

Charlestongirl said...

Bisbee, the one in this morning's NYTimes is something like $6500!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Jessi,

By the first quarter of 2010, Procter & Gamble had discontinued Max Factor in the United States, instead focusing its marketing efforts on the more successful CoverGirl cosmetics line. Max Factor will continue to be marketed overseas. Max Factor is also exclusively available through Drugstore.com in the United States.

Maureen said...

The darker plum colors such as the EL lipstick you featured are lovely, but they don't suit me.

I do like two of the new Chanel fall nail polish colors though.

Love the RL jacket.

Did you have a season where the colours aren't "you"?

Rosemary said...

Hi CG, I am so grateful that you posted about Saks having Chanel's Blue Illusion. I called Georgia, and ordered Apparition eye shadow and the Sky Line nail polish. Georgia was super nice and helpful. I had hesitated too long, products had sold out on chanel.com, and I didn't think I'd get these beauties. So many thanks for the heads up!

The blazer is gorgeous. I love velvet and have many pieces, so I can understand why you couldn't pass this up. The color will go with many things and look stunning with your blonde hair. Score!

Rosemary

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Maureen,

That used to happen to me, but now the cosmetics companies are varying the palettes so that there's something for everyone.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Rosemary!

I am so glad you got your Chanel! Even though I've read in comments here that Nordstrom will get the collection later in the fall, I wouldn't take any chances.

Louisa said...

The Barrneys bag event runs from Sept 20-23. A purchase of $200 gets you the bag, loaded with deluxe and/or full size products.

Charlestongirl said...

THANK YOU, Louisa! I was looking for those dates on Facebook - and not finding them. Looks like I need to call soon!

Mary Ann said...

That's a beautiful jacket, bet you can't wait to wear it. I bought a Estee Lauder pure seqiuns lipgloss that you recommended a while back, a dark plum, I love it. That lippie is pretty. I do not care for Katie Holmes, I grew up in the day when models endorsed products, Cheryl Tiegs, Kim Alexis, Christie Brinkley.

Nina said...

Hi CG - They are already doing pre-sale at Barneys for the Beauty Event, so I'd call your favorite SA asap! I think I wrote about this before, but I am disappointed that Bobbi Brown has decided to go with a celebrity model. This has nothing to do with Katie Holmes - I think she is lovely and I admire how she has handled herself. BB's whole philosophy has been that every woman - all ages, and ethnicities - are beautiful, and to have one particular "face" representing the line seems antithetical to that idea. Sigh...

Anonymous said...

WOW! Beautiful jacket!!! My type of jacket! I am not into fashion and designers, but I do love nice pieces, and sometimes I would even pay a little bit more for a good piece.

Sandra
(I have been an occasional reader for 3 years, and I comment rarely.)

Eileen said...

Oooooo . . . Aaaaaah. . . That jacket is gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous! Years ago I had a cotton velvet jacket in hunter green (another typical RL color) and I wore it constantly. When you apply the good old CPU formula, it was well worth the expenditure. I'm sure it will be the same for you and this sumptuous Cabernet piece. It looks so rich, so classic, so RL. Congratulations on such a beautiful purchase and wear it in good health.

It seems that velvet isn't just showing up in our clothing this autumn. I, too, noticed the definite shift towards velvet textures in makeup. The matte lipsticks introduced awhile back were the first to herald the trend, but now it seems that everything else is following suit. Satin matte and velvety textures and finishes, subtle glow and luminosity without shimmer or glitter, saturated color on lips or eyes. Yes, we seem to have made quite a shift. I was going through some of my makeup the other day and was thinking that many of my favorite things no longer pleased the way they used to. It was time for a change :-)

Bobbi Brown signing Katie Holmes. I can sum up my feelings about it in one word--disappointment. I have always admired BB for her use of real women to promote her products and her Pretty Powerful campaign was a stroke of genius. Woman of all ages and ethnicities from all walks of life were featured prominently in BB's promotions right along side the models chosen to showcase the latest collections. And, in truth, I actually remember the pictures of some of those real women far better than the pictures featuring models. But, now we have Katie Holmes as the face of BB and it seems that it has just become another brand that thinks women cannot be content with their own beauty and that, like adolescent girls, they need to fantasize about looking like a celebrity. Disappointing and sad.

It will, indeed, be interesting to see what happens with Lancôme. I imagine L'Oréal, Proctor and Gamble, etc. are all watching this very, very closely. Lancôme is being made an example, but many brands are guilty of the same false/misleading advertising. Perhaps Lancôme will work out a consent decree type of deal with the FDA that will give them time to comply.We shall see . . .

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone and have a great week.

Anonymous said...

You always have the best information! Tomorrow I'll be calling Saks......as for Bobbi Brown signing Katie Holmes, that pretty much guarantees I won't buy anything from that line. It's not that I really dislike Katie, I just don't find her to be that interesting. I prefer to see a no-name but beautiful model instead.

Tracy said...

15 days to pull back all that material? Holy moly... good luck to Lancome on that. But then again, I fully agree that the claims on DNA etc is really too excessive. The thought crossed my mind when I first used Genefique Serum (which by the way costs a bomb).

And when they say 'clinically proven', I doubt that using it on 20 women is statistically powerful. I work with projects that span with clinical trial patients of >300, randomized, double-blind, etc.

I'm going to check out a few items from Liberty. Maybe they might ship to Denmark!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Mary Ann!

Just bring back the models! Yes!

Charlestongirl said...

Nina, I was too. Bobbi's ideal - the "regular" woman seems to have taken a hit.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Sandra,

So glad you commented! Thank you.

The jacket is so classic, I expect to wear it for years. Fortunately, I've never grown out of my clothes. :) Now I seem to be shrinking.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

I'm sure you know that L'Oreal owns Lancôme, so the effects - just within that company - will be huge.

I also was miffed with the choice of Holmes. She is suffering from overexposure. It was really bad timing. That said, I think Bobbi will lose customers over her choice of a celebrity face. Now she could be perceived as just another celebrity-happy brand.

I've always been a velvet girl. Love it!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous, Katie was probably more interesting before she married Tom Cruise.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Tracy, I totally agree with you. Tests on seven women are laughable.

Charlestongirl said...

Many thanks to everyone who sent Barneys info! I left cards all over that department in May. Did one of them follow up? Nope!

I'll call today.