Monday, June 17, 2013

Chanel Ombre Essentielle Soft Touch Eyeshadow for Fall 2013 - Gri-Gri and Hasard

Chanel has introduced two Ombre Essentielle Soft Touch Eyeshadows ($28.50) with the Superstition Collection for Fall 2013. They are both pretty, but one, Gri-Gri (#101) is world class - seriously stunning - a must-have for taupe lovers. No self-respecting makeup addict who happens to adore taupe will be able to leave it behind without regret.

As I pointed out, it had not been on the tester display at either Neiman Marcus I visited. That's because the for-sale product arrived, but the tester didn't. I didn't need a tester to know I wanted it. I took the photo directly below in the store - right before I purchased it. My photo at the top of this feature was taken in full sun at my house.

Gri-Gri, a limited-edition shimmering taupe, knocked my socks off (I know; it's a figure of speech; I wasn't wearing socks). This mono/single eye shadow will be living in my bathroom, where I apply my daily makeup - not in the makeup museum.

I took swatch photos of Gri-Gri in full sunlight (alternating with very high clouds) outside my house. I used a sponge-tipped applicator to apply it moderately. Then, I swooned.

You can see the shimmer is "tame." It's a color I'll easily wear to an office. The slight mauve cast is easier to see on the skin than in the compact. It is a perfect contrast shade for pale-skinned beauties, and I suspect that those with darker skin will enjoy using it as a base shade.

This is the kind of eye shadow that makes me think, "Yabba dabba doo!" I'm smitten.

There is another single eye shadow in the collection. It's pretty, but it didn't send me into crazed joyfulness. The following photos of Hasard (#99) were taken at the counter (indoors), so they aren't exciting.

Hasard actually coordinates beautifully with Gri-Gri and, I suspect, will please mauve/lavender lovers enormously. It is extremely sheer, though, and it's matte. I had to apply it to my arm heavily for the indoor swatch photo below, which is dark due to inadequate lighting. I even brightened the photo so you could see it.

Perhaps my unbridled enthusiasm for Gri-Gri dimmed my excitement over Hasard. When I go back, I'll try to get an outdoor photo to show it to you in a more flattering light.

The Superstition Collection arrived first at Neiman Marcus. If you have one near you, you should be able to see it there. It will make its debut soon at other Chanel counters and at Chanel's Web site.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why on earth would they make that gorgeous color LE? I will just have to buy two :)

Anonymous said...

Loving the quad with passion and also really super enthused about Gri Gri mono. Hasard actually looks chalky and too sheer for my tastes, but I'm sold on the rest. Beautiful Fall collection that can be worn year round.

fgirl said...

Gri-Gri is gorgeous! I've already ordered this and most of the Fall collection from Nordstrom online.

regina said...

Wow! Gri-Gri is beautiful! I don't live close enough to Chanel counter to test out myself, so I appreciate your lovely swatch. :)

Anonymous said...

How does Gri-Gri compare to Safari?

Jenny said...

From Nordstrom??? I don't live close to a counter that would have it yet either--so I've been stalking every site for since I first saw the cream blushes and polishes on Nordstrom. But I haven't seen anything else come up anywhere. :(

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous,

Good question!

Charlestongirl said...

Wwendalynne,

I wouldn't call Hasard chalky, but it's rather dull.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi fgirl,

Good for you. Stake a claim early!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Regina. I am confident the color in my photos is true.

Charlestongirl said...

Anomymous, Gri-Gri is not as brown as Safari. You can see Safari swatches here: http://delicatehummingbird.blogspot.com/2011/03/chanel-ombre-essentielle-45-safari.html.

Charlestongirl said...

Jenny, it sounds like Nordies has it online, not in the store. However, I can't swear to that. I know Saks hasn't received it yet.

Paige said...

Gri-Gri is a must have for me. I was interested in Hasard too but I'm not so sure now because of the sheerness. Thanks for the swatches. They are really helpful and make me purchase makeup with confidence. I can order Gri-Gri online right away. However, for Hasard, I'm going to have to go to the counter to check it out in person first.

Moonchime said...

Just seeing your photos of Gri-Gri has me ready to put in an online order. Thank you, C Girl!!

Lisa said...

Gris-gris is gorgeous! I love the name as well beacuse it is a coomon colloquial term in New Orleans for voodoo.

Charlestongirl said...

Paige, good decision. Hasard is OK, but just OK. Not one that will make you drool. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Moonchime,

It's worth every cent of its modest price.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lisa,

I wondered what it meant. :)

Melanie said...

I think that I must have this. Gorgeous colour! I agree with Anonymous -- why make something like this LE? There are two shades that I find that Chanel does wonderfully in eye shadows: blue and taupe. Hasard sounds lovely, too, but I like my eye shadows to have good pigment. Thank you for showing these to us!

Virginie said...

CG! "Make up musuem" Ahahahahahahahahahahahah, it's exactly what I have at home!!!
I like both, but HAsard seems chalky and doesn't have a good color payoff, from what I see....

Nemo said...

Hello, Cg! Owww, I want that Gri-Gri! You recently made some sounds about suspending your wonderful beauty blog. Don't. DO NOT! But your comments got me thinking. Speaking for myself, but knowing that all your readers would find this of interest, please share with us the following: When did your love of makeup begin? What was your first makeup item? What is your favorite makeup item? What is your favorite makeup memory? What is in your makeup museum? Thank you! P.S. It's because of you that I'm poor--but happy!

CGirl said...

Oh my! I didn't think this would be an exciting color, but that mauve tint slays me. I must have this! Thanks for the gorgeous swatches!

Micki said...

I live in Delaware and even though their website said they didn't have this or the blush in the Delaware store, sure enough they had them when I went in. It takes them a bit to update their site.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Melanie.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Virginie,

It's really not chalky. Just sheer, very light, and kind of boring. Matte too. Yawn.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Nemo. I will keep going as long as I can. :)

Charlestongirl said...

That's quite a post you've laid out for me Nemo. Maybe some Sunday for This and That. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi CGirl, Ya just never know. :)

Charlestongirl said...

True, Micki. Many companies are slow to update their sites.

CrystesMom said...

I'd love to read the post that Nemo suggested whenever you feel up to doing it! I agree that Gri-Gri is gorgeous.

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

OMG swooning is right--I am in absolute LOVE with this shade!!! Mauvish/purplish taupes are my all-time favorite eyeshadow shade and this one is just stunning! Yes I am DEF going to get my greedy little hands on this one asap!! :D

PS: One day, I hope you'll post pictures of your "makeup museum". I bet it's pure nirvana for makeup junkies!! :D

Penflair said...

Hi CG,
Well Gri-Gri is another win for Chanel. It is spectacular and going in the purchase column as soon as I hit a major city (later this week). One questio: Is Gri-Gri similar to the shades in Giorgio Armani's Eyes to Kill Shimmer Palette (#11). It looks the same on my monitor but that means nothing. You have both so I hope you'll enlighten me. Thanks,
Penflair

Sorry if this dupes. I posted from my phone the first time and that is sketchy at best.

Susan Audrey said...

Gri-Gri looks exactly like the one of the kind of shades I look for (the other being pale matte pink). I'm afraid I wouldn't lose foot coverings over Hasard, either.

Goya said...

Hi Charleston Girl! It seems to me that Gri-Gri reminds me a lot of another Chanel eyeshadow: Fauve, am I wrong?

Thank you!