Thursday, June 13, 2013

TATCHA Gold Camellia Nourishing Lip Balm

TATCHA's new Gold Collection harnesses the timeless gifts of the camellia to nourish the skin and lips. As I mentioned recently, the precious benefits of the camellia were first discovered thousands of years ago in Japan - specifically by Oshima Island "farm girls" who applied the flower’s extract to their skin and hair. The Ama (Japanese female free divers) evolved this ancient beauty secret by coating their bodies with camellia oil to protect their skin during frigid ocean dives. Centuries later, geishas began applying nutrient-rich camellia oil after bathing, a luxurious addition to their daily beauty ritual.

Rich in essential antioxidants and moisturizers that deeply nourish and protect the skin, the TATCHA Gold Collection is embellished with flecks of 24-karat gold to add a touch of opulence, celebrating the geishas' timeless practice of elevating the day from routine to exquisite. The sumptuous, two-piece collection marries Old World wisdom with modern sensuality.

On a recent day, when I was felling particularly blah, I received a gift of the Gold Collection from TATAHA. Everything about the gift was luxurious - the purple and gold embellished gift box to the purple tissue paper and gold cord. Opening it was a pleasure. I felt good even before I gave the Gold Camellia Nourishing Lip Balm ($36) its first whiff.

The balm is packaged in a beautiful box with a pull-out drawer that holds a beautiful jar, accented by the TATCHA logo, a purple rum, and a see-through window at the top. Behind the window the balm is adorned with gold leaf. It's gorgeous. I've never seen a more beautiful lip balm presentation.

There is a little story inside the box, "A Rediscovery." I won't spoil it be quoting it. You will enjoy its contribution to the experience of unwrapping your beautiful TATCHA treasure.

It took me only a nanosecond to try it. I lightly ran my finger over the balm (and gold leaf) and spread the treatment onto my lips. This natural treatment melted onto my lips instantly, infusing them with the treasured emollients of squalane; Japanese camellia oil, which has been long regarded for its antioxidant properties that protect the skin; licorice, which brightens; and rice oil to moisturize deeply. Also in the formula are macademia nut oil and TATCHA's HADASEI-3 Complex. It has a natural, very mild, and pleasant fragrance that all but disappears on application.

All TATCHA skin care is formulated without mineral oil, synthetic fragrances, sulfate detergents, parabens, PEGs, PPGs, DEA, TEA, urea, or phthalates. TATCHA succeeds at providing the best ingredients for your skin and your health.

To use the balm, scoop a tiny bit of balm and just a touch of the gold leaf, then spread or dab evenly on your lips. The first time I used mine, I took too much gold, but it was certainly a treat. My lips were instantly hydrated and gleamed with the trace of gold, which magically melted and fused with the balm.

In the days I've had TATCHA's Gold Camellia Nourishing Lip Balm, I've saved it for nights, trying to make it last forever, I guess. When I apply it at bedtime, my lips feel indulged. It has almost unheard-of lasting power. When I awaken at 3:00 or 3:30 - a nightly occurrence - I can still feel it on my lips! For a balm that feels lightweight, that is remarkable. When I finally drag myself out of bed (5:30 lately), I still have moist lips. I consider myself the lip balm expert (there are few I haven't tried), and I have never found one that lasts eight hours on my lips - until now.

Gold Camellia Nourishing Lip Balm is a remarkable product. If you are as compulsive as I am about having moist lips, you must check it out at TATCHA's Web site. It is work every penny, if not more, of the $36 price (the jar is generously sized at .28 ounces).

Next up, I will be introducing you to the Gold Camellia Beauty Oil, which I am testing for a little bit longer (as I normally do with skin care) to ensure that I can give you the straight scoop.

Photos courtesy of TATCHA

12 comments:

Nemo said...

The best, most long-lasting lip balm I have ever tried is Burt's Bees Replenishing lip balm in a yellow tube with a red cap. It lasts almost all day, or from bedtime to noon, and through sweaty workouts and other tortures. It costs about 3 bucks a tube.

Charlestongirl said...

To each her own, Nemo! :) I hated that one. Too waxy.

Eileen said...

I haven't tried the balm yet, but I've fallen head over heels in love with the beauty oil. Readers should note, though, that the gold leaf is primarily decorative. It's the combination of delicate, soothing, moisturizing, and healing oils that is the true treasure. And, isn't the presentation and packaging something else? It doesn't have anything to do with the effect of the products, but it certainly makes receiving them and using them a joy :-)

Melanie said...

TATCHA keeps dropping off of my radar for some reason. I really think that I must give them a try. Great review and look forward to the one on the Gold Camellia Beauty Oil as I am oil junkie. My skin just doesn't feel right without them. You are the best!

Inez said...

I just received my pkg.with the camellia oil face wash which they have now restocked and I will say from one day of use I love it ...I have been a lamer using for over twenty years and that is a harnd thing for me o say.Now I can't wait to try the enzyme wash.

MarW said...

I hated the Burt Bees as well, terrible ingredients which did anything but good to my lips.

You made me really interested in the TATCHA line, will check them out right now!

thnx!

Unknown said...

Sounds wonderful! My go to for the past few years has been Jack Black Lip Treatment, but this does look decadent!

tika said...

do u know any cheap but good lipbalm ? I use nivea right now but it doesnt enough to moisture my lip
thank you :)

Anonymous said...

You turned me on to Tatcha and I have been THRILLED with their cleansing products and moisturizers. Absolutely the best line I've ever tried. My skin feels amazing. I'm curious about these gold products but haven't wanted to shell out the cash without more info. Can you tell me if the lip balm has any tingle to it? I can't STAND lip balms that tingle and the licorice has given me pause.

Eileen said...

Hi Elyssadc,

Licorice (glycyrrhiza glabra) is used in cosmetics as an antioxident, an anti-inflammatory substance, and as an inhibitor of melanin production. It's frequently found in preparations that claim to lighten and brighten the complexion while calming inflammation. It's one of the good guys :-)

Although I haven't actually tried the lip balm yet, I have read the ingredient list which is on the website. There is nothing in it to cause the tingling or stinging commonly associated with lip plumpers. This is not that kind of product. It is a healing and moisturizing lip balm.

Anonymous said...

I personally couldn't stomach spending almost $40 on a lip balm. There are so many great inexpensive balms on the market right now - I've found Eos, Aquafor, Burts Bees and quite a few others to be just as effective and long lasting (especially at night) as their pricier counterparts.

I'd rather save and put that money toward fantastic skincare.

Tatiana said...

I love the Tatcha line and now I have to investigate this lip balm.