Thursday, June 20, 2013

Claudio Riaz Complexion Highlighter 7

Claudio Riaz is an internationally known makeup artist and has done makeup for celebrities, "socialites," and fashion shows all over the world. Although I had heard his name, I had never seen his brush and makeup lines. Last year, I got to play at Barneys and developed an appreciation for his color line. Some of you know his brushes are fabulous, but I've never purchased one.

I didn't want to leave the counter when I was at Barneys. There was so much to try - such gorgeous colors - that it was a mesmerizing experience. I purchased a few shades of various products last year and have since ordered online. I have ordered from Barneys, Claudio Riaz's own site, and a fabulous discount site (http://www.allcosmeticswholesale.com).

The cream Complexion Highlighters ($38) are all gorgeous. I could have purchased most of them because their sheerness makes them wearable no matter what the shade. Made with lanolin and beeswax for moisturizing and skin protection, they are stunning. Riaz recommends you use them prior to concealer to correct uneven skin tone or apply to the high points of your face - cheekbones, brow bone, and nose – to brighten the complexion. They are ideal for radiance and a glamorous glow all over the face.

My most recent purchase was Complexion Highlighter #7, a bronze shade that's perfect for summer. It is shown at the top of this feature and below in my swatch photos.

I took my swatch photos in full sun. Because it kept darting behind afternoon clouds, it took about five minutes to snap enough photos to show you the shade accurately. I applied it with my fingertip, so my swatch is a bit uneven. I did not blend it because I wanted good color shots.

I love the way this golden bronze shade looks right now - summery and sun-kissed. I have worn it as an eye highlighter and on my cheekbones and other high points of my face - blended well - to create a faux glow that looks real.

I might not have selected #7 from swatch photos online (they are terrible), but I knew I liked it from my trip to New York. The creams blend beautifully. I'd love to have the full collection of all the shades. I now have 2, 4, 5, and 7.

Here's a look from Claudio Riaz's Web site that features a classic look, created with the Complexion Highlighter and primers and pre-selected colors from his Instant Face Palette. I think it's gorgeous. I don't know that he used #7, but the color looks like it's on the model's cheeks.

Most of the Claudio Riaz products come in a cardboard box and are intended to be slipped into a Refillable Makeup Palette ($28). The box fits tightly into its "shell," and it's hard to get into it. Riaz intended that you purchase multiple products and put them into one of his palettes. I finally ordered one. I certainly wasn't going to buy a palette for $28 to house a $38 highlighter my first time out. I think it's a good investment once you have enough of the little cardboard boxes.

You can find Claudio Riaz at Barneys New York and the Claudio Riaz Web site. It's best to try to see the line in person. While you may not get carried away shopping online, you will standing at the counter - trust me.

Photo at bottom courtesy of Claudio Riaz; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

9 comments:

Moonchime said...

The highlighter is quite stunning! Thanks so much for the review and photos!

JudithDM said...

Love this line and company. If only, IF ONLY we could look like the model in this photograph, and I am not talking about her physical beauty. There is almost nothing real about it. But, won't stop me and others from going for it!

Jo said...

Hi CG,

I'm so sad that I was not able to make my appointment with Claudio Riaz last week. Something came up and I could not make it downtown to Barneys. I love his makeup. His instant face is my go to blush, highlighter. I even use one of the shades on my eyes sometimes. If you have not tried his instant flush in shade 1 you really need to. It is the perfect pink blush. I have another palette filled with things too, the concealer, one of the highlighters and a lipstick and lip gloss. I have a few of the brushes too. Thank you for introducing this line to me. It was after you posted about it that I went to Barneys to check it out. I think I'll stop by Barneys next time I'm downtown to check out this highlighter you reviewed today.

JudithDM said...

When in a hurry I will often use a blush, highlighter, bronzer on my eyelids. Just a touch of color. Wow Jo, thanks for the mention of other products. His colors are beautiful, his instant face a must for me (not that I need it!). Going for the complexion highlighter as well. And who knows what else when I get there! Last time I did an 'entire' face was when I stopped by an Edward Bess counter and when home with everything.

Micki said...

Good morning. You can also buy Claudio Riaz among many other brands from cosbar.com. They also have brick and mortar stores and if you order from them, there are no shipping charges, and you get great assistance!

bisbee said...

That color looks quite dark - I know you said it's sheer and it works on you, but it scares me!

Speaking of items recently reviewed, I ordered the Chantecaille Lip Chic in Rose Delice (that was reviewed a while ago!) and the new Chanel Creme Blush in Revelation. Returning both, unfortunately - thankfully I ordered from Nordstrom. The Lip Chic is quite dry...which has not been my experience with other colors that I own. The Blush in Revelation is nice...but very warm. I've decided I have several other cream blushes that are quite similar...perhaps I'll try one of the cooler shades.

I'll have to go through your press release about the sale thoroughly!

bisbee said...

That color looks quite dark - I know you said it's sheer and it works on you, but it scares me!

Speaking of items recently reviewed, I ordered the Chantecaille Lip Chic in Rose Delice (that was reviewed a while ago!) and the new Chanel Creme Blush in Revelation. Returning both, unfortunately - thankfully I ordered from Nordstrom. The Lip Chic is quite dry...which has not been my experience with other colors that I own. The Blush in Revelation is nice...but very warm. I've decided I have several other cream blushes that are quite similar...perhaps I'll try one of the cooler shades.

I'll have to go through your press release about the sale thoroughly!

Virginie said...

You always have the best products for review!!!!
I don't own any CR products, one day I have to take the plunge....

Charlestongirl said...

Wow, everyone, I am so behind on comments. I will try to catch up soon!