Thursday, September 30, 2010

Beecology Buzz Balm - A Nature Lover's Delight

Recently, I received a nice sample package from Beecology, a company that strives to make their products as natural, renewable, and functional as they can without sacrificing quality. Although they try to make all of their products 100% natural, not all of the products have achieved that level - yet. However, all are derived from at least 95% renewable and naturally-derived ingredients like corn, soy, and coconut. As more and more organic ingredients become available in the personal care market, Beecology will be able to realize their goal of 100% organic, natural, and renewable products. How refreshingly straightforward!

Amy and David Rzepka, founders of Beecology, allowed a friend to place a bee hive on their property, ended up as beekeepers, and the rest is history. Now, with millions of bees sharing their property, they are using the abundance of honey and beeswax from the hives to produce their handmade Beecology products. Use them and you'll feel the love!

The very first product they made for sale was Buzz Balm Super Sting Peppermint Lip Balm ($2.99), and they sent me one. I hope no one's offended by this analogy, but that was like sending heroin to an addict! I am a lip balm junkie. Had you been here when I opened the box and started sniffing and trying, you would have heard me squeal.

Buzz Balm has all-natural ingredients to make dry, chapped lips soft and healthy. Açaí oil, a powerful antioxidant, gives it its healing properties. The balm helps dry winters go by more quickly, and summer's moisture last longer. Here are the ingredients: coconut oil, beeswax, shea butter, aloe butter, cupuaçu butter, olive oil, peppermint oil, açaí butter, eucalyptus oil, clove oil, and tea tree oil. Fortunately, I don't perceive the clove oil, an ingredient to which I've become sensitized over the years. I can taste the peppermint oil, but it doesn't overwhelm the balm. The name "Super Sting" references the bees, not what the balm does to the lips!

My first impression when I applied the balm was, "Wow, how nice and soothing!" My lasting impression is that this balm is a keeper. It makes my lips soft; they don't thirst for another "drink of balm" minutes after application. If you are a lip balm addict, you will understand that. I have lip balms placed strategically throughout the spaces I inhabit (there's one at bedside, one at the entrance to my bedroom, another in the bathroom, one at my computer, one in the kitchen, one at my desk at work, one in my purse, one in the car, and so on. As you might imagine, I go through a lot of lip balm! That's why Beecology's Five-Pack Tin ($13.99) will be my best buy.

I have so much more to tell you about that box! Stay tuned. I plan to give Amy and David a call to get more information to share with you. I've used the fabulous shampoo and conditioner they sent me, and the body wash is next. I'm under Beecology's spell. Intrigued? Buzz over to Beecology's Web site to explore (sorry - a little corny - I couldn't resist). You'll like what you see.

Photo courtesy of Beecology

5 comments:

Victoria said...

wow, sounds like a company i would like....I'll have to go to the website and look around. Thanks!

Clarisse said...

Oh Charlestongirl! I perfectly understand how you feel: I am a bee/honey product serious addict: first I love honey on my bread and in cakes...but also the bee-products in all my beauty balms: for our lips they are wonderful because there is no trace of paraffine (which is the ingredient which makes our lips thirst for more). I smiled when I read you did just what I do : I keep lip balms everywhere at home and in my office!...You can trust Beecology which I do not know but who seems to have the same conception as my Bee friends here: they are true nature lovers and bees are so important for the survival of the species (sorry to be so long but I am a real bee-lover):-))

Charlestongirl said...

Hi friends!

Victoria, I was unable to write today. Hope you checked Beecology out. They are a great little company.

Clarisse, there's no such thing as writing too much! I don't subscribe to the "short and sweet" school of thought. We need a chance to say what's on our minds! :)

You just taught me something. Now I am going to see if there is paraffin in the balm one of my colleagues said drys out her lips! Thanks!

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

So Charleston Girl is going to be a Bee Keeper!! :)

Charlestongirl said...

Oh no, Marcia. Amy and David are doing a fine job without me! I am a cat keeper.