Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Parfums de Nicolaï Number One Intense Eau de Parfum

Even though I am swimming in new makeup, I need to tell you about Parfums de Nicolaï Number One Intense Eau de Parfum ($45-130, depending on size and source). Its beauty stunned me. I bought it solely by its description and the love affair I have started with Patricia de Nicolaï's fragrances.

Number One Intense is a beautiful floral bouquet of white flowers for which Patricia de Nicolaï became the first woman to win the coveted Mouillette d’Or for Best International Perfume Creator when Number One debuted in 1989. Long-lasting and of outstanding elegance, it sings "intense," creating the sensation of a room full of white flowers with no expense spared - infinitely romantic and provocative.

The moment I sprayed Number One Intense, I was reminded of Joy, a classic I adore. This one has the same voluptuous intensity and presence as Joy, without the enormous price tag.

You may love LuckyScent's description as much as I did.

A luminous, exquisitely crafted white floral. Jasmine, tuberose, and orange blossom weave in and around each other like the mesmerizing blur of the white tulle skirts of the corps de ballet. They waltz, they leap, they merge into an idealized white flower that is not any one of these blooms, but a flower found in a dream. Refined and elegant, this would suit a sylphide or a royal bride equally well.

Number One Intense, with a high concentration of natural oils, has top notes that are green and fruity: tagetes (marigold) oil and galbanum oil, which adds an intense green scent. It's heart contains jasmine, tuberose, orange blossom, ylang ylang, rose, and cassia absolutes. With that news, I went into "steady my heart" mode. The bottom notes are woody, which surprises me because they do not dominate this floral on dry down. They are sandalwood oil and oakmoss absolute with a touch of amber. Anna, if you are out there, this is your fragrance - mine too. You won't find the rose at all distracting from the white flower fiesta.

You can learn more about Patricia de Nicolaï and her amazing fragrances at her Web site. Clarisse, there's a boutique in Paris at 45, rue des Archives (we need a full report)! You can purchase Number One Intense at Beautyhabit and LuckyScent, possibly Amazon too. I need to order Rose Intense Eau de Parfum next. I'm on a Patricia de Nicolaï roll.

Thank you for allowing me the timeout from makeup. I'll be right back at it later today. Four boxes came yesterday - on top of four shopping bags from Neiman Marcus! I'm in a cosmetics coma - I see colors when I shut my eyes, perhaps a good time to volunteer for an OCD clinical trial. Anyone want to join me?

Photo courtesy of Beautyhabit

4 comments:

Clarisse said...

Hi Charlestongirl!
When you told us how much you loved Fig Tea Eau fraîche, I planned a visit to one of Patricia de Nicolaï's boutiques since Paris is the only place here where we can buy her fragrances and test them (there is a web site but I love testing on my skin before ordering and... I love being in a "parfumerie" too, it's always a voluptuous experience)
Number One seems to be a dream, I'd like to try it, and Sacrebleu and Rose Pivoine too!...
I'll gladly report to you how I liked my discovery of Patricia de Nicolaï's lovely boutique (you'll need to wait till the beginning of october though)

Clarisse said...

PS: four shopping bags from Neiman Marcus and four boxes full of make-up...wow! sounds to me like the Ali Baba's Cave or a divine girlie paradise, lucky you!!!:-)

Charlestongirl said...

Oh how I would love to go with you to the boutique, Clarisse! Smell the Rose Intense for me and please do let us know about your discoveries! I may not purchase any more fragrance for a few weeks [wink].

Anonymous said...

swoon - thud!

it almost sounds too good to be true but I'll have to try and smell this.

off to search for uk sources ...

cheerio from sunny Edinburgh,

Anna in Edinburgh