Monday, September 27, 2010

Edward Bess Sheer Satin Cream Compact Foundation

As an Edward Bess devotee, I had to try the new Sheer Satin Cream Compact Foundation ($60) - even though I'm not usually tempted by "powder-finish" foundations. Susan and Jennifer at Bergdorf Goodman let me know it was coming, and the first time I listened, I thought I heard "powder foundation." The second time we talked (and I probed a little), I heard "cream that dries to a matte, powder-like finish." Perfect description! I shouldn't have let the word "powder" throw me off the first time.

Sheer Satin Cream Compact Foundation, designed for all skin types, has a lightweight texture and weightless feel. It provides a natural finish and blends flawlessly with bare skin. As Susan pointed out, it's perfect for all women, but those who want to wear foundation only in the center of their faces will love the way it blends. The foundation is oil-free, and even better, it's fragrance-free!

The foundation is silicone-based, so it has nice "slip" and won't settle into your expression lines or pores. Whether you apply it with the sponge that's provided in the compact, a foundation brush, or your fingers (horrors!), it will give you a nice, sheer airbrushed look.

It's available in five shades: Light, Bare, Nude, Beige, and Natural. I bought Light. Natural is the darkest shade and would be appropriate for olive, Mediterranean/Spanish skin. There are no shades for my chocolate-skinned friends.

I bought Light. I felt like an overachiever, outside trying to get a swatch photo for you. I took nine pictures. How is anyone going to get a swatch photo of a foundation that "melts" right into the skin? That matches perfectly? That looks like a second skin? My best shot is at right, and you can barely see the unblended color I applied heavily by patting it on with the sponge. I got just the right angle so that I can see it, but I'm not sure you can.

The shiny, black compact is a perfect size for throwing in your handbag for touch-ups. I plan to take mine to work for mid-day touch-ups to my nose and chin - the two areas that lose my foundation first (I always have a tissue in my pocket for my allergies). I love the creamy feel of the foundation and how easily it blends.

You can purchase Edward Bess cosmetics at Bergdorf Goodman. If you don't live in or near New York, give Susan and Jennifer a call at (212) 872-8826. If you can describe your skin color - or name another foundation in the store that you are wearing - they can help you select a shade. If you are lucky and live in Los Angeles or Houston (as of tomorrow at the Houston Galleria), you can visit an Edward Bess counter at Neiman Marcus. Edward himself will be at the Neiman Marcus at Houston Galleria from September 28 to October 1 to open his newest counter.

Photos by BTiB

3 comments:

Eileen said...

During the EB launch in Beverly Hills, I was color matched to Light and it's been love, love, love ever since! I usually don't get that excited about foundations, but for Edward's cream compact, I'll make an exception :-) This sheer to medium coverage foundation glides onto the skin like a whisper and then melts into the complexion leaving a soft, luminous, satin smooth finish. It's an ultra light foundation that is moisturizing, buildable, and long wearing; yet never feels or looks mask-like. Once applied, the skin has that soft radiance that exemplifies the expression, "Glowing with good health." Bravo Edward!

I apply it with a foundation brush rather than the sponge because, at 62, I have the usual flaws that come with age and find a brush just works better. Once applied, the foundation lasts the day without settling into fine lines or wrinkles. It also creates the perfect canvas for my other cosmetics and seems to help them wear longer. At the end
of the day, my foundation, blusher, and eye make-up are still there!

I have had so many people compliment me on my complexion since wearing EB's cream to powder foundation. A couple ladies even told me how lucky I was to not need any foundation, bless their hearts :-)

At $60 it is pricy, but a little goes a long way and, for me, once I apply it in the AM, I don't need any retouches during the day.

So, who wouldn't like it? Anyone who needs more all over coverage would be disappointed. The foundation is what Edward refers to as "anti-makeup" and isn't intended to provide heavy coverage. Also, as Charlestongirl mentioned, the shades are very limited at this time. I sincerely hope he develops more shades so that our
darker sisters-in-beauty can also enjoy this luxurious foundation.

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

You are very convincing Charleston Girl. A little too convincing. I'm quite intrigued by this. Do you notice a fragrance in this? I can't wear his gorgeous lipsticks because of the fragrance in them.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Glad you love it too! Isn't Edward Bess makeup the ultimate luxury?

Marcia, it's fragrance-free, and none of the ingredients have a scent to my nose.