Monday, April 26, 2010

Best Drugstore Beauty: Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner

Maybelline has a hit on its hands! Offering a drugstore-priced alternative to prestige department store gel eyeliners, Maybelline has introduced Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner ($9.99).

The oil-free formula holds the liner's highly concentrated pigments in a clear gel base so that the result is intense color that lasts for 24 hours. It's smudge-proof and waterproof, and I can attest to that! Maybelline says it removes easily with soap and water, but I recommend an oil-based eye makeup remover, holding the pad at the base of your lashes for a few minutes to soften the product before you do the soap and water wash.

Most gel liners are easy to apply. You can create an intense line, if that's your preference, or a very thin one (my preference). It's all about the brush you use, and that's the only weakness of this product. The brush doesn't allow me to apply the liner with the precision I like. It goes on too thick or uneven, no matter what I do. My solution is to use one of Bobbi Brown's two eyeliner brushes. They are fabulous and give me the control I want. While I wouldn't say this liner is as good as Bobbi's, it offers an attractive and affordable alternative to those who want to wear a gel liner, but can't afford department store prices.

If you already have a great eyeliner brush, you will want to check out this new best drugstore beauty pick. It's available in a glass pot in four colors: Blackest Black, Brown, Charcoal, and Aubergine (deep black-purple). It comes contained in a nice, sealed package, so it's tamper-proof. Maybelline says it's ophthalmologist tested and safe for sensitive eyes.

When it arrived at the stores in my area, it was available for a week and then quickly sold out in every shade except the Aubergine. Now, the stores are restocking. I bought Blackest Black, Brown, and Charcoal to give all of them a test drive. I like all three shades. The price is particularly nice with the use of a coupon or during a BOGO offer. Choose the color you like best! Then buy more if you love it. You'll find the new liner anywhere you buy Maybelline. I bought mine at CVS and Rite Aid.

Photo courtesy of Maybelline

No comments: