Friday, April 2, 2010

The Friday Forum - April 2

After a week of liberating mice from Charlie's grip, I'm ready for The Friday Forum! The forum is devoted to what you have to say about anything related to beauty - or anything else you want/need to talk about. Let's chat!

Before we chat, though, a special request. A Best Things in Beauty reader and contest winner is very sick - more sick than usual. She wrote me this week to tell me why she hasn't been very active online lately and that her mother is helping her tweet. Bonnie has a rare disease that keeps her at home and mostly bedridden. In a contest entry, she wrote movingly about her mother, who takes care of her 24/7. As you celebrate the holidays this weekend, please say a prayer for Bonnie or send positive thoughts her way. On Twitter, she's @MissBonnieBelle. I know she would appreciate your kind messages. Her illness just tears at my heart.

Back to the forum. Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Tell us about it! Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Tell us why! Do you have questions others might be able to answer? We can help! Want to talk about skin care? I'm game! Just use the comments. We have busy weekends and slow ones on the forum. Either way, I always enjoy hearing from you.

As usual, I will share beauty bits with you over the weekend. I'll put them in the comments, so check for free shipping offers and other treats from beauty companies.The microphone is yours!

Photo courtesy of optionarmageddon

7 comments:

Unknown said...

the article made me cry. I don't know if Bonnie will read this but I wish her with all my heart to keep a strong spirit! I only wish all the good things for this brave lady and hope there are many friends that support her. Thank you for sharing her story.

Charlestongirl said...

I will collect comments and e-mail them to Bonnie. She told me she is cheered by well wishers. Thanks for your kindness, Anna.

KathyT said...

I will definitely pray for Bonnie. My oldest daughter (she's 11) also has a mitochondrial disease which was diagnosed 2 years ago with a muscle biopsy. There are a lot of new treatments coming soon, and there are some dedicated doctors studying the wide spectrum of mitochondrial disease. I certainly wish Bonnie the best of luck - she is a brave young woman!

As for beauty items, I would have to say that my favorites this week are my new Chanel Rouge Coco lipstick in Gardenia and my Revlon Colorstay gloss in Infinite Rose. I love them both. I am also loving a fragrance - Laura Mercier Marrons Glaces. It is a sweet, gourmand fragrance that lifts my spirits.

I have a question about eyeliners. My over 40 lids are not as smooth as they once were, so is there a technique for lining my eyes that doesn't emphasize the slight (at this point)imperfections at the lashline? I feel like I need to learn new makeup application techniques and products!

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Charlestongirl said...

OMG...two. I will add your daughter to my Easter prayer list, Kathy.

Loyd has the best eyeliner technique I've adopted. He places the liner up into the lash base from underneath. When he's finished, there is a line, but you really don't see a line. You just see enhanced eyelashes that appear thicker. This takes some practice, but it really works!

Short of that, I like to draw the thinest line I can as close to my lashes as I can get it.

When you say there are slight imperfections at the lash line, what exactly do you mean? Maybe we can be more helpful with details. :)

Nice beauty picks for the week! I just got a box I was anxious to get. I procrastinated at Christmas and didn't buy the Jo Malone Red Roses Chronicles, which has three bottles of the individual scents for combining with Red Roses, along with a bottle of Red Roses. I'm going to write about it. When I started asking for it in the stores, it was gone. Then I found that the Jo site still had it. And now I do too. I'm very excited!

KathyT said...

Thank you for thinking about my daughter.

Is that the reverse eyelining technique that I've read about on MUA (or somewhere)? I need to try it, but it does sound like I need to practice. I have some very slight crepiness to my lashline so that I don't feel like I get a nice, smooth line. I don't feel "finished" without some liner.

I am really interested in checking out the Armani Maestro shadows - #2 and #27 look good from the swatches I've seen online. And #20 and #25! I'm heading to D.C. next week with the family, so I will be hunting for some beauty counters.

Thanks!

KathyT said...

I forgot to add that the Jo Malone set sounds wonderful! I love Red Roses, but I didn't know about the Chronicles. I bought the Pomegranate Noir set last year, and I really like the White Jasmine Mint and Nectarine Blossom Honey. I think that Jo Malone fragrances are so easy to wear, and they are rarely overpowering. I also love that she gives layering ideas too so that you can get some variety. Enjoy your red Roses!

Charlestongirl said...

You HAVE to go to Saks Fifth Avenue at Chevy Chase, Maryland (right over the DC line)! Let Loyd know in advance that you are coming so that he can be there to meet you. That Saks is near other Chevy Chase shopping, and you will find Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's, Sephora, MAC, and Lord & Taylor nearby - along with hundreds of other types of stores.

The Armani Maestro shadows are wonderful. I think I have nearly every one of them. The way Loyd uses them to create new colors is totally amazing. I often wonder why he isn't a "real artist." His sense of color is such a talent.