Thursday, August 19, 2010

Altruest Inner and Outer Skincare System

My introduction to Altruest came in WWD's Beauty Biz within a feature on Beauty and Technology. Scientists have turned to the sea to discover skin care's next hot ingredient. As one of La Mer's most ardent fans, I am always interested in ingredients from the sea.

While studying microalgae strains, the company Solazyme discovered Alguronic Acid, a strain that Solazyme claims is vastly more effective than hyaluronic acid (one of our best-known hydrators). “Microalgae is able to survive in extreme conditions, flourish, and protect itself, which is why Alguronic Acid is so effective,” Frederic Stoeckel, Solazyme Health Sciences Vice President and General Manager, told WWD. “It is an amazing story, and I believe it will change the landscape of the market.”

I learned that Solazyme was launching Alguronic Acid in two lines: Altruest, a serum and beauty supplement containing the first generation of the ingredient, and an updated version to launch in luxury specialty stores next year. I had to have Altruest! Off I went to the Web site to check it out.

At an introductory price of $119, the company is offering a set with Concentrated Smoothing + Regenerating Serum and Cellular Nourishing + Protecting Supplements (capsules filled with good stuff for your skin). I have been using the serum during the day under my moisturizer. I will admit (with guilt) that I just remembered and started taking the supplements this week.

The first thing you notice about the Concentrated Smoothing + Regenerating Serum is that it is velvety smooth. The texture is unlike any other serum I have ever used. The Alguronic Acid Filling Spheres come in contact with the moisture in your skin and expand to find their way into fine lines to diminish the appearance of wrinkles and give your face a smooth, healthy radiance. The filling effect is said to be visible in as little as 15 minutes. I can't tell you - yet - that I've seen that dramatic a change in my skin, but I started with a pretty good baseline. I can tell you that Loyd Cassler (my Armani Beauty guru) noticed that my skin looked good and told me! Since he sees me all the time, I thought that was telling.

In clinical trials, participants experienced an increase in skin moisture by 27% in one week (43% after 28 days) and a 44% increase in brightness after 28 days of use. The key ingredients are:
  • Alguronic Acid, responsible for the regenerative properties of the microalgae cell and shown to reduce free radical damage;
  • Phytoene and Phytofluene, highly protective algal carotinoids; and
  • Vitamins C and E.
The Cellular Nourishing + Protecting Supplements contain ingredients we know are good for our skin. Because you are supposed to take them with food, I took them to my office, where I always eat. The same cannot be said for my home. Now, I'm getting my daily dose of vitamins, Coenzyme Q10, fish oil, lutein, algal oil (a powerful source of omega fatty acids that are cellular building blocks) and other goodies. Will it make a difference? Time will tell.

In the meantime, I wanted to share Altruest with you so that you could take advantage of the introductory price. Head over to the Web site and read the testimonials and clinical results. If you believe, as I do, that the sea may hold the secret to youthful skin, you'll want to try Altruest's Inner and Outer Skincare System.

Photo courtesy of Altruest

4 comments:

Clarisse said...

I have never heard of alguronic acid (too new maybe?) it sounds great though...
Let's wait and see if it feels like crossing the Ocean to old Europe:-)

Charlestongirl said...

Clarisse,

I think that's actually a trademarked name for the microalgae ingredient.

Anonymous said...

I used the Alruest Inner and Outer Skincare System back in 2010. I had to stop because it got pricey for me.

Now I want to purchase the system again but I cannot find it. I did find Algenist products, but no supplements. It's the supplements that I want most of all.

Help!!!! Do you know where I can purchase the Skincare System kit???

Charlestongirl said...

Hi!

I think we just communicated by e-mail, so I'll only provide contact info for the company here.

Need assistance? For your convenience, our Customer Service Representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (877) 650-1837.

You can also email us at: customerservice@algenist.com