Sunday, August 22, 2010

Weekend Ramblings

I have a lot to write this week, and I'll get started on it later today. Here's what's strolling through my mind at 7:00 am Sunday.
  • Yesterday's Bobbi Brown Master Class at Nordstrom was a blast. I will write up a story on it later today.
  • Last night, I attended a murder mystery party based on Clue. I played Mrs. Peacock (the murderer). The "real quote" below describes my general state of cluelessness about Clue. What makeup was Mrs. Peacock wearing? Chantecaille Tiger in the Wild! It was the first time I left the house wearing the indigo shade as eyeliner. I loved it!
  • Mrs. Peacock: Well, someone's got to break the ice, and it might as well be me. I mean, I'm used to being a hostess, it's part of my husband's work. And it's always difficult when a group of new friends meet together for the first time, to get acquainted. So I'm perfectly prepared to start the ball rolling. I mean, I-I have absolutely no idea what we're doing here. Or what I'm doing here, or what this place is about, but I am determined to enjoy myself. And I'm very intrigued, and, oh my, this soup's delicious, isn't it?
  • We still don't have a definitive answer to "smokey" vs. "smoky," but my research is pointing toward an industry preference for "smoky" - not the fan favorite "smokey." We haven't tackled "grey" vs "gray" yet. Sounds like a courtroom drama!
  • The new Allure arrived yesterday - on my doorstep, which means a kind neighbor delivered it after it was left at the incorrect house. Why can't the Postal Service deliver mail reliably?
  • Also, why can't the Postal Service bring my fall Sephora catalog? Have you received yours? I wonder who has mine!
  • I was smitten this weekend with a gorgeous pair of earrings. I'm sure they had my name on them. The delicate diamonds framing blue tourmalines left me with the I-wants. They were only one of the many things I coveted at the International Gem and Jewelry Show. I really need to win the lottery.
  • Yesterday, while at Nordstrom, I saw a woman in a racerback tank top with a racerback bra under it. Apparently she gave no thought to the visibility of most of the bra (not just the straps). I wonder if her mirror broke. It wasn't a pretty, lacy, bra - the kind you might mistake for today's streetwear. It was a utilitarian bra. She was old enough to know better and young enough to care. Amazing! Would you go shopping like that?
What have you been up to this weekend?

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

7 comments:

Clarisse said...

Hi Charlestongirl!
You seem always to be so busy and manage to do everything planned: I am amazed!
As for me, I have been entertaining friends coming back from their holidays, so nothing much to write about..except the real pleasure to be with friends!
I am intrigued by your murderer mystery party: is it a party inspired by what seems to be a TV series? I am sorry, I really don't know anything about it, but it sounds fun (anyway I am sure the indigo liner looked great:-)
About gray and grey, I have been taught at school (a long time ago) that grey was English and gray was American, just like colour was English and color American: does that make sense to you or is it one of those things??...
I wish you to win the lottery very soon: those earrings seem to be very appealing:-)))

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Clarisse!

Clue was a movie, and I think it might have been a TV show too. If you Google it, you'll find lots about the movie.

The theme parties are fun when no one at the party knows anyone else (except the host/hostess). It's a great way to break the ice and get people talking. I had no time to prepare (like watch the movie!), so I had to wing it the whole time. I still had fun, and the small group was delightful.

I have to admit I am tuckered out today! I started yesterday at my hair salon at 8:00 am and fell into bed at midnight. I can't do too many days like that!

I think you must be right about "grey" and "gray." Except that I learned "grey" in school here in the U.S. Now, most Americans use "gray." It makes perfect sense! I had an elementary school teacher who tried to make us pronounce "been" as "bean" - as in I have "bean" to school. She had to have been a Brit! :)

I'm dying over the earrings. If he didn't sell them this weekend (and I suspect he did), they may end up mine. Those earrings were the color of my eyes. I so want them! Unfortunately, they are VERY expensive.

Glad you are enjoying your holidays and time with friends!

Laurie said...

How fun - a murder mystery party! Clue is one of my favorite games - so how'd Ms. Peacock do it (with a lead pipe in the library?!)

Can't wait to read your Master Class recap - I'm ready for fall smokey looks.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend:)

Laurie said...

P.S. Still NO Sephora Fall catalog. What the H?!

Charlestongirl said...

Yes, Laurie - what's the deal? I know I have to be among the biggest Sephora spenders!!

Mrs. Peacock stabbed the blackmailing SOB. Someone else attacked him with a pipe, but, unfortunately, didn't kill him. It seems he was blackmailing everyone at the gathering - except the butler.

Fab Over 40 said...

Your party sounds fun!

I too had heard that grey was the original spelling and gray was the changed American version so either one is correct. I do recall as a child being told one was the color and one was the emotion, only I don't remember which!

As far as smoky, possibly the same thing with grey/gray? One English one American? Lately the only time I see smoky spelled smokey is like Smokey the Bear?!
Too confusing!

Charlestongirl said...

Hey, Fab,

That had me giggling - at 5:00 am! I did find Smokey the Bear in the Google search, along with some very authoritative "smokey" eyes. LOL. I'm changing to "smoky." As for "grey," it must be my heritage. I prefer it to "gray." So does Armani, so I'm in good company, I guess. Only a Virgo would care about this stuff!