Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Brazilian Peel - It Works

Brazilian Peel by Advanced Home Actives ($78) is the first clinically proven, professional-strength, self-neutralizing glycolic peel for safe use at home. Brazilian Peel was recently selected for Allure magazine's best skin-care breakthrough award. It's an insider's secret you should know.

I had an opportunity (courtesy of the company) to try it, and I am delighted with the results - so much so that I shared a vial with a friend who is an aesthetician to see if my impressions could be validated by an expert. They were!

The 30% glycolic acid peel includes ethically sourced açaí (an antioxidant) to visibly and instantly brighten, smooth, firm, and tone skin. It's an affordable alternative to pricey professional peels.

I experienced its remarkable effects first-hand. Advanced Home Actives says fine lines and wrinkles will be visibly reduced after four weekly applications and a radiant, youthful complexion can be maintained with continued weekly use. I found instant firming with just one application. The Brazilian Peel should not cause redness or irritation. My skin is extremely reactive, as is my friend's skin. Neither of us experienced any adverse side effects. I think this is the perfect peel to use before a big date. It will make you look youthful and glowing.

The $78 set, four applications, provides each dose in a syringe-like tube. To use a dose, cleanse your face, neck, and décolleté, then pat your skin dry. Dispense one dual syringe into the palm of your hand to activate and mix the contents (peel and neutralizer) with two fingers until you feel a warming sensation. Apply a thin layer of product to your face, starting at the top of the forehead, working down both sides of the face and nose (don't forget your nose like I did the first time). Apply the peel to your neck and décolleté with downward strokes. Avoid getting the peel in your eyes and nostrils; remember, it has acid in it. The instant you apply it, you'll feel a comfortable warm sensation, but it disappears quickly (which is a shame). There is no discernible fragrance.

Wait 10 minutes. You may feel your skin tightening or tingling as the product works. I felt mild tingling. If you feel real discomfort at any time, rinse off the product. Otherwise, after 10 minutes, just rinse off the peel with lukewarm or cool water and apply moisturizer. Remember, fresh skin can be especially sun-sensitive, so wear sunscreen.

It wasn't easy to create a product that was strong enough to result in effective exfoliation without causing irritation or the other problems that can sometimes occur with overexposure or sensitivity to glycolic acid. It took three years of design, development, and clinical testing to roll out Brazilian Peel. With its high glycolic acid concentration, it can be used at home because the pH of the product is controlled. The glycolic activity occurs at the beginning of the treatment. Then over the 10-minute treatment time, the patented Q-Mag Mineral Neutralizer deactivates the glycolic acid, raising the pH to a level that is tolerated by the skin without irritation.

Clinical testing of the formula showed no irritation when the product was left on for 24 to 48 hrs, but who would do that? Laboratory testing (no animal testing!) of the pH of the product showed that after 10 minutes, the pH rises to the point at which the glycolic acid is no longer active. The calming ingredients have taken over, including the açaí, magnesium, and sulfur, to soothe the fresh, soft, radiant skin that was hiding just below the surface.

Don't let the name of Brazilian Peel mislead you. It has no relationship to the Brazilian Blowout (the formaldehyde-laden hair treatment). This product is good for you! I would recommend it to anyone who would like to speed along exfoliation in a gentle manner, without the damage physical exfoliators can create.

If you are interested in the impressive research results, head over to Sephora, where you can read them and purchase Brazilian Peel. You can also order from the Advanced Home Actives Web site with free shipping.

Photo courtesy of Sephora

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you see anything in the instructions about Retin A users? I wonder if it's safe to try since I use Retin A every 3 nights. Thanks, Jo

Charlestongirl said...

Jo, I will check with the company tomorrow and get back to you as soon as I can. My gut instinct tells me you should be careful.

Anonymous said...

I really want to try this! I've seen it on the website and always wondered if it worked. Great review! Now I know I should order it!

Polarbelle said...

That sounds made for me.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Tracy!

I do that too...gaze at Sephora and wonder if products will meet their promises. I was very pleased with this one. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Polarbelle,

Maybe it was made for you AND me...and a few hundred thousand others. Big smile!

Charlestongirl said...

Jo,

The company recommended you not use both at once. Their recommendation was to stop using the Retin-A while using Brazilian Peel. I am not sure they meant for that day, or entirely. I do appreciate their quick response!

Since I assume you are under your physician's care, using a prescription drug, you might want to discuss with him.

I'm not sure you are the best candidate for Brazilian Peel.

Diane said...

How funny, I saw this yesterday in Sephora, I almost bought it but decided to put it back since I had not read any reviews on it yet. Now after knowing you put your sign of approval on it makes me wish I had taken the plunge and purchased it.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Diane,

There will always be another day at Sephora, right?

Thanks!

Eugenia said...

I have been wanting to try this product for some time now, but never found a review endorsing it or not...until now! Thanks so much for this; I'll be heading to Sephora today!!