Monday, July 25, 2011

Clinique Black Honey Gradient Powder Blush for Fall 2011

Black Honey Gradient Blush ($29.50) is the surprise, grabber piece in Clinique's Black Honey Collection for Fall 2011. You can use this versatile powder blush to create any look you want, from a subtle glow to a cheek-sculpting intensity. You can brush on all shades in one swirl of your brush (as I did for the photos below), use the lighter half alone as a highlighter, or swipe the darker half for use as a bronzer or contouring color. For $29.50, you get three products in one.

As a Black Honey addict (I explained that long-time love last Saturday), I was excited to see this blush in person. I was stunned by its fabulous color. It was much more exciting than what I had expected from Clinique's promotional photos. I think Black Honey Gradient Blush was created by a genius who understands - feels - the allure of Black Honey Almost Lipstick and transformed the color into a blush.

I struggled to get a photo depicting the "true" shade of this blush. I think the one at left is a good portrait. It's definitely more accurate than Clinique's photo above, which makes the powder blush look too pink. The shade is as difficult to put into words as it is to photograph. I anticipate that Black Honey Gradient Powder Blush will adjust to the skin tone and look of its wearers, just as its namesake lipstick does.

My swatch photos, taken in full sun, show how the shade appears on my skin. The swatch at the top of my arm was applied heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator. The larger swatch below was also applied heavily, but with a dense blush brush. In no case would you wear Black Honey blush with such a heavy application, but you can see the gorgeous mauve-brown hue. There is a very minimal amount of shimmer, just enough to enliven the shade without making it look sparkly on the skin.

I'm smitten! Black Honey Gradient Powder is unique. I don't think I have another blush shade that's even close to earning a duplicate comparison. I have every shade of pink, mauve, and brown imaginable, but no Black Honey clones. I'll be reaching for this blush often, starting now, because it's so natural on my skin. It's absolutely fabulous - the reason you may see me at the Clinique counter buying a second one. It's a limited edition, and I'm not taking a chance that I'll reach the sad day when it's gone for good.

You can find the Black Honey Collection at your favorite Clinique counter. I bought mine at Neiman Marcus.

Photo at top courtesy of Nordstrom; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You're going to wear me down until I try some Black Honey aren't you?!

Charlestongirl said...

LOL - that was a good one, Christa!

Anonymous said...

I got the lipgloss duo and the palette the other day, but turned down the blush. It's not too dark for us fair skinned gals? It kind of scared me lol!

Charlestongirl said...

Nope! Tracy, the blush when applied normally is gorgeous! I couldn't believe how natural it is. Absolutely perfect! Shows that we should never make assumptions about makeup until we try it. :)

I'm finding more and more often that tube or pan color is not what I get on my skin.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your swatches. I have this one too and came to see how bloggers were describing this color. I agree it is very unique. It looks scary in the pan but wow what a color. I absolutely love it.

~katherine~