Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Perricone MD Acyl-Glutathione

Earlier this year, Dr. Nicholas Perricone introduced Acyl-Glutathione, a new treatment moisturizer. I purchased it not long after because I have grown to love my Perricone MD products, and this one appeared to have promise - even with a name that won't roll off the tongue. I always try to tell you about impressive skin care. If your skin doesn't look good, your makeup won't either.

Acyl-Glutathione ($175) quickly earned a place in my skin-care routine. I like everything about it, except its small size, one fluid ounce. I want Dr. Perricone to super-size it.

Acyl-Glutathione (pronounced ay-sil gloo-ta-thigh-on), addresses the accelerated signs of aging, including severe dryness, extreme loss of elasticity, deep lines and wrinkles, and fragile, thin skin. Used as both a preventative and corrective moisturizer, this treatment helps create visibly improved skin in just 30 days. I've been using it for a few months and can report that it's effective.

I learned on Sephora's blog that the name, Acyl-Glutathione, comes from the patent-pending molecule created to replenish glutathione, an antioxidant, in our skin cells. If you experience a decrease in glutathione, your skin could appear fatigued, wrinkled, and/or dehydrated, or change in texture. Acyl-Glutathione works to fix those deficits by bringing your skin back to life and defying aging. After just 30 days of continued use (just a dime-sized amount, twice a day, says Perricone), you’ll notice a decrease in the appearance of fine lines, creases, and wrinkles and a boost in hydration.

In a 30-day consumer research study, after application every morning and evening:
  • 85% saw a reduction in the appearance of horizontal forehead creases;
  • 90% saw a reduction in the appearance of 11 vertical creases;
  • 85% saw a reduction in the appearance of smile creases; and
  • 88% saw a reduction in the appearance of marionette creases above the chin, but below the mouth.
Those are impressive results. A majority of consumers saw their skin look more supple (less thin) and found it bounced back quickly from sleep creases. I am a long-time side sleeper, and occasionally I awaken in the morning with a deep crease from a pillowcase wrinkle. Note to self: go buy silk pillowcases. I have seen almost no sleep creases since I started using Acyl-Glutathione. Most users also see an increase in firmness and radiance.

The lightweight cream absorbs very quickly, leaving behind a protective "film" that's barely perceivable (I like to be able to feel my treatment moisturizer to know it's still there). The ingredients that contribute to its effectiveness include DMAE, glycolic acid, peptides, dimethicone, sesame seed oil, glycerin, and, unfortunately, the ubiquitous propylene glycol. I can't seem to shake that ingredient from my beauty products. The treatment is paraben-free.

Dr. Perricone recommends following the application of Acyl-Glutathione with a moisturizer if necessary. Even though my skin is very dry, I have not found any "top coat" to be necessary. It's nicely moisturizing. There is no discernible fragrance (it's light, pleasant, then gone - all good). My only complaint is the small size of the jar. Perhaps I'm applying it too liberally (I apply more than a dime-sized dab), but I expected to get a few more months out of it. I'm almost at the replenishment point. Despite the size, I will purchase it again. I am extremely happy with it.

You can purchase Acyl-Glutathione at Sephora and Nordstrom or directly from Perricone MD, where you can see instruction videos and will often find special offers.

Photo courtesy of Sephora

8 comments:

Laetitia said...

I am SO glad you have had a chance to write about your thoughts concerning Acyl. I've been using this product for a few months now -- and I think it's a winner too! I had to replenish recently as well, but when I find a product that I am happy with, and delivers results, it somehow makes the financial sting a little less painful :). I think Dr. Perricone has come up with something special here that can compete with Sublimage and other super luxe creams.

Anonymous said...

Interesting!! I will need to try this one too!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Laetitia!

I'm glad to hear you love it too. My friend, a Perricone account executive, had been telling me about it before it hit the market. I was so ready to use it!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Tracy!

Definitely worth a look-see.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this review! My sleep creases last like half the day. The loss of elasticity in my skin has been extremely depressing. I have been on a pretty comprehensive new skin care routine for the past 5-6 mths and while I've seen some improvements in some areas my major concerns are not being addressed. I need to change it up.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, PP!

Those sleep creases have become my biggest annoyance of "aging." It's so embarrassing to go out with a big crease across my cheeks, particularly since I take good care of my skin!

I'm sure someone would tell me to drink more water. I can't help it if I like alcohol with dinner.

Polarbelle said...

my son makes fun of me really bad about those hours long sleep creases. that alone makes me want to try this

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Polarbelle!

Family members pointing out the obvious. How nice!

At least at beauty counters, they pretend to ignore those sleep creases. :)