Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Independence Day!

Happy Independence Day! I try to remember that our Fourth of July holiday isn't just about cookouts, fireworks, friends, and family. We commemorate the adoption of the Declaration of Independence, on July 4, 1776, from the Kingdom of Great Britain - today one of our greatest allies and best world friends.

"If the American Revolution had produced nothing but the Declaration of Independence, it would have been worthwhile." — Samuel Eliot Morison, American historian (1887-1976).

The United States of America - and the freedom we hold dear - has been threatened by wars and terrorism. Today we celebrate our freedom and recommit to protecting the freedom of others who would live our dream. Think about it. It's a remarkable day.

I hope you have a beautiful day!

4 comments:

Flyavsted said...

I hope you have a wonderful Independence Day!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Flyavsted! You too.

Mine had an unusual start at 5:15 am when I learned that a micro-burst had devastated my mother's neighborhood last night during a storm. As soon as it was light enough to see, knowing there were downed power and phone lines and trees, we drove over and parked as close as we could get. Hopped over potentially live wires and got into her house. My sister had tried last night, but hadn't been able to get there - from any direction.

The trees on our childhood forested property that had fallen were mostly out of the way (we had to move some large branches out of the driveway). Have a nice bruise on my leg where one hit me.

I hope the road crews and utilities can get her back in business soon. Since it's a holiday, I suppose they are having to call in workers. The violent storm was completely unexpected. We had only expected a brief thunderstorm, exactly what I got here, only five minutes away.

Sadly, there was at least one death on the C&O towpath. A man riding a bike was killed when a tree came down on him.

It looks like the storm ripped a straight path through McLean, North Arlington, and into DC. I have never seen such damage in Mom's gorgeous, treed area. I'm sick over the sycamore. They have suffered from a disease for the last 10 years or so, but that one was totally healthy - and huge. Of the two trunks, one is fine, but the other was ripped off about 15 feet up.

Not a great way to start a holiday.

Clarisse said...

Oh Charlestongirl, I'm so sorry you had such a bad start for a beautiful day! Those storms are very violent indeed; I understand how you feel, it is so sad to see a fallen tree and of course the death of a man is worse...
I hope you'll manage to have a quieter day .... and a Happy Independence Day all your readers!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks so much, Clarisse! I went over to Mom's three times today. All the utilities were nearby, but they still hadn't gotten to her. I suspect it will be tomorrow before she gets power back. The pole from which all her utilities are wired snapped in half.