Sunday, July 17, 2011

Dr.Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++

Dr.Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++ ($39) is a protective tinted moisturizer that perfects the appearance of skin while protecting it from the sun and environmental factors. A moisturizer, sunscreen, tint, and treatment serum, this all-in-one product also offers advanced brightening properties with arbutin, one of its advanced ingredients. Arbutin is extracted from the bearberry plant and inhibits tyrosinase, thus preventing the formation of melanin, which darkens the skin.

Ideal under makeup, its natural-looking tinted coverage minimizes the appearance of imperfections and evens skin tone. Antioxidants, biopeptides, and adenosine (effective skin-care ingredients) protect the skin from the sun and free radicals while restoring firmness and elasticity. It's a one-step marvel.

In May, I had featured Dr.Jart+ Water Fuse Beauty Balm SPF 25 PA++, similar in its mission to protect our skin, but with lower UVA and UVB protection levels. Dr.Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++ is a little more expensive, but, in addition to the sun protection, offers a little more coverage and offers more expensive skin-care ingredients. It comes in a light tint that should blend into most skin tones (probably not chocolate-colored skin). The tint is slightly darker than the Water Fuse Beauty Balm, making it wearable by more women (or men). Both of them blend into my skin perfectly; they seem to adapt to skin tone.

It's a great tinted moisturizer for summer. The oil-free "balm," which is really a light cream, includes sunscreen ingredients that protect the skin from a broad range of UVA and UVB exposure. After a quick application, my skin is left looking smooth, perfect, and natural. The tint is almost imperceptible, but it does even my skin tone and take out the red in the center of my face. It won't cover stubborn marks, like dark sun spots or active acne, but it does "dull" their appearance.

I love makeup-free days on the weekends, but I'll always make an exception for a tinted moisturizer. I purchased several this summer, and I'm slowly testing them. Dr.Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++ is the second I put to the test after it was sent to me by the company, and it passed admirably. It did everything I expected. Feels good too - moisture without any oil slick that would be too heavy on a hot day.

The ingredients offer advanced brightening and anti-aging power and firm and hydrate the skin. The peptides, almost de rigueur in skin care today, will help restore the suppleness your skin may be losing. If you wear this product under your foundation, you'll find you need less foundation to achieve a perfect look. The sun protection comes from relatively high concentrations titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, which makes it fairly amazing that it feels so light on the skin.

Please remember that even if you are working inside all day, you need a sunscreen. You will be exposed to the sun's rays even through windows. Dr. Jart offers us a way to treat our skin and wear an effective sun screen in one fell swoop, with none of the nasty qualities some associate with sunscreens. This one is perfect for those who can't wear chemical sunscreens.

Dr. Jart, a dermatologist, offers a line of cosmeceuticals. The doctor's approach to product development is based on use of scientifically certified ingredients. Each formula is tried and tested to ensure safety for all skin types - even hypersensitive skin - so everyone can experience the "art of skincare with Dr. Jart." So far, I'm impressed by both products I've tried.

Next time you browse at Sephora, see what you think. Let us know, please!

Photos courtesy of Sephora and factoidz.com

6 comments:

Shannon (Lipstick Musings) said...

I've been wanting to try a BB Cream for some time now. Joeybunny did a wonderful review on Missha's, but something about their site skeeves me out a bit and I'm scared to order from them (totally irrational, but true).

This looks much better due to the high-end skin care involved. I think I'm going to have to give it a try!!

Shannon

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Shannon,

I thought Joey reviewed this Dr.Jart+ product recently. She liked it too.

I do like both of his products sold by Sephora.

Deb said...

I got this as soon as it came out so I have had it for a while. I hate it. I used it for a few weeks then tossed it. At first, I thought I just needed to give it some time as I had never used a BB before. Sadly, time didn't help. It gave my skin the strangest grayish cast. It's supposed to somewhat adjust to your skin tone after it's been on for a while but it never did. The texture is awful. It felt like I had to "drag" it into my skin. I know that sounds weird but I don't know how else to describe it. I tried every prep I had; primer, moisturizer, combination of the both, you name it. This just would not go on properly. It did nothing for my skin and after a few hours of wearing it, my t-zone was worse than usual and the pores on my nose were really shining and visible. It also changed color after a few hours. I had such high hopes and was so excited for a BB cream readily available in this country. I am a fair skinned redhead with normal/combo skin. The SPF factor was my initial biggest attraction to this product. That, combined with the fact that it was supposed to replace a multitude of other products, had me so excited at the beginning....I just can't tell you. Maybe my hopes and expectations were way too high but this was just an awful, awful fail for me.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Deb!

I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds like a bad experience all around.

I often wonder about one-color-fits-all products. They usually don't fit me. This one did.

Too bad you tossed it. I always assume someone in my life might like to try my rejects. :) I would have given it away - if only to see if my friend had the same reaction.

Deb said...

Charleston Girl, you are so right....I should have given it away. I almost always do that will all of my products that don't work. I just tossed it one day without thinking....I guess I was in a hurry that day. The one size fits all thing is a great concept but my experience with several products that make that claim is that cosmetic technology is not quite there yet. And when you really think about it, how could that actually work? We are all so different with skin type, coloring, etc. But I continue to hope that some company will crack the code. How lovely would it be to have the option to really only have to use one product for those times when you don't want to use more. Or when you have limited time. I guess I just get a little irritated sometimes with the claims made by beauty vendors that their product is the next great miracle for everyone. Sometimes it seems like it borders on false advertising and that just peeves me. That's why I write honest reviews, even if they aren't raves. Thank you for providing a forum to do that.

Charlestongirl said...

I always appreciate constructive comments, Deb.

I seldom expect marketing promises to be met, so I'm delighted when they are. Does that make sense? I guess I'm a "show me" kind of tester.

Just find your nearest friend next time you get ready to throw items out. You'll be pleased by the fast friends you make. LOL